Close

Default Lowering springs/ coilovers on convertibles

I just got an 83 fox and have been shopping around for a little on lowering springs and coilovers... every kit I’ve seen says that they are not recommended for convertibles due to weight? It makes sense because of the spring rate but how much of a no go? They don’t make kits for convertibles do they? Can I just get a stiffer rate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Can you provide some links to the kits you're looking at? I've never heard of such a thing, and "not recommended for convertibles due to weight" makes zero sense.

I've had coil-overs on my '89 GT convertible (the heaviest Fox Mustang configuration) since the late '90s. They work just fine.

Edit: I started with 300# 10" springs on Koni Reds with D&D Motorsports coil-over sleeves. The Koni Reds didn't have enough damping for the 300# springs, so that combo didn't work very well, but was still better than the same struts with FMS 'C' springs. I don't remember if there was an intermediate step (the 300# springs with Koni Yellows/Sports, maybe?), but I ended up with 425# 8" springs on Max Motorsports coil-over sleeves with Koni Double-Adjustables. Obviously, that's a track-oriented spring rate, so higher than one would typically want for street use, but I still think the ride quality is excellent on the street.
    Last edited by Patrick Olsen; 07-23-2018 at 08:33 AM.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

https://lmr.com/item/SVE-5300A/Mustang-Lowering-Springs
    On all of the springs I've seen at LMR, it says in the note how they aren't recommended for convertibles. It makes sense because of the spring rate and weight difference, hence why you buy a lowering kit and not just cut coils if you want a good ride.
    I'll look into the springs you put on thanks for the info!