Close

Default 1986 GT Air Dam/ ground effect

Hi guys! Im new to the forum in hopes to get an answer on my air dam question. I really want to install the cervinis 91-93 LX air dam on my car, I see several photos on line with what appears to be that air dam on a 86. Does anyone know if the later LX air dams will fit my 86?

I would say no. The '87-90 version looks identical from the front (based on their website pictures as of today) and I bet the 87-90 Cervini's version WILL fit without an issue. The 91-93 front fenders AND fender extensions are different though (much shorter). That was to allow for the new 16 inch Pony wheels to not rub in the front. I can't imagine how you would make up the difference in the wheelwell without some major surgery. It's going to be too short on the ends.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    I would say no. The '87-90 version looks identical from the front (based on their website pictures as of today) and I bet the 87-90 Cervini's version WILL fit without an issue. The 91-93 front fenders AND fender extensions are different though (much shorter). That was to allow for the new 16 inch Pony wheels to not rub in the front. I can't imagine how you would make up the difference in the wheelwell without some major surgery. It's going to be too short on the ends.
    Thank you for the help! Cervini's was no help.. If anyone on the board has done this I would love to know if it's a simple bolt on. It appears that it should be easy.

I went ahead and purchased the 87-90 LX air dam. I will post how it fits just in case anyone else would like to know.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Homer noted most of the points already.

I will say, that Yes you can make the 87-90 Saleen air dam fit your 86. There is a slight difference in the outer corners of the bumper cover between the 83/86 and the 87-90 cars. So you will need to massage the cover/air dam to fit in that area. IIRC, the air dam will not be up close/flush to the 86 bumper cover and you will need to correct that to make it fit well and look right. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Homer noted most of the points already.

I will say, that Yes you can make the 87-90 Saleen air dam fit your 86. There is a slight difference in the outer corners of the bumper cover between the 83/86 and the 87-90 cars. So you will need to massage the cover/air dam to fit in that area. IIRC, the air dam will not be up close/flush to the 86 bumper cover and you will need to correct that to make it fit well and look right. Good Luck!
    Thanks for the input! I hope it's close. I did a quick Google search and seen a hand full of 4 eyes with that bumper cover. It looks awesome so I hope I can get it to fit. If not, I wonder what they were using...Name:  86GT air dam.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  283.9 KB

You can get it to fit, I have personally installed one myself. Just giving you the heads up that its not a complete bolt on. The air dam flexibility and quality will determine how much additional work is needed. Cervini's stuff is very good and should work pretty well. I don't see it being a big deal, just be aware you might need to do some tweaking to get the best fit and finish.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    You can get it to fit, I have personally installed one myself. Just giving you the heads up that its not a complete bolt on. The air dam flexibility and quality will determine how much additional work is needed. Cervini's stuff is very good and should work pretty well. I don't see it being a big deal, just be aware you might need to do some tweaking to get the best fit and finish.
    Excellent! Thanks for the input!