Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dugan Wagon

Redneck Riviera, Fort Walton Beach Florida

Default The Dugan Wagon

Figured I'd start a thread about this just for posterities' sake and document the restomodification of this pile. The older guys will remember the Dugan Racing shop up by Atlanta in the early 90s. They were a significant shop in the foxbody scene, had several builds documented in the magazines of the day, like SuperFord, and Muscle Mustangs, before the interwebs. One of their most notable cars was their shop parts runner, which was a 1984 LTD station wagon with a 1984GT nose grafted onto it. This was done by slicing the front fenders in half, and then adding the front half of the mustang fenders to the back half of the LTD fenders, along with the Mustang front bumper cover. You'll see from the pics it was apparently not as easy as it sounds, I was very surprised when I pulled the fenders off and saw how it was done. I'll add more pics and videos as I go along. Plans are to just keep it 5.0/T5, EFI of course, 4-wheel disc, 5 lug, steel wheels body colored, nothing blinding fast, just a sporty driver with A/C. First off is the video Rodney put together of what should have been an easy trip to Atlanta and back.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LMlxeBomfk&t=1185s
    1985 LTD LX, Mach1 brakes, 17" Mopar police car wheels. 302, T5, 4.10s
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1986 FHP coupe, stock shortblock, TW heads, Holley SMII intake, 4.88, T5Z
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

Going to see if I can get another one of these made for after it's painted.

This was in the shop I got it from
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

Back of LTD fender with welds where front was attached, luckily I've got a couple quarts of POR-15...

Last edited by David Claflin; 07-21-2018 at 10:46 PM.

Electric fuel pump mounting, zip ties and a convenient brake line. I'm not sure if this was done by Dugan's guys, or MPS who is supposed to have done some work on this car too, as the previous owner bought it as a rolling shell, and paid MPS to put a V8 back in it, with EFI.

It came with SVO front control arms, K-member and some other SVO stuff, sold everything but front control arms, those are going on Ebay when I get tired of them taking up space in the garage.

Glad they were all dead

That video showed up in my youtube feed back in March. Entertaining stuff.

Cool to see the car is in good hands. It's interesting that the Mustang wheel arch seems to be the same as LTD. I wouldn't have thought that.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Blog Entries

It's a neat little car.I'll be watching with interest.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Subscribing. I might have something Dugan related in my garage, if I can find it.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Cool, I'll look forward to progress on this! Saw the video when he posted it, and I'm happy to see something posted here about it.
    '78 Fairmont Box Top w/Straight 6/3-spd Manual Everything
    '81 Zephyr Wagon 4/4-spd
    '84 Mustang SVO 5.0 Swapped semi-junker (I didn't do it!)
    MAF, GT-40, BBK Shorties

Quote Originally Posted by waggin View Post
    Cool, I'll look forward to progress on this! Saw the video when he posted it, and I'm happy to see something posted here about it.
    Same. Was wondering when it would come around/be worked on again.

FEP Senior Member

Ha, I used to visit the guys that did the body work for them. They did some "crazy" stuff back then. They converted a Capri to an SVO, so it had all SVO stuff but with the Capri fenders and 1/4s. Did the same with a 86 GT. They all seemed to know or worked at MPS and Dugan. I used to visit Ken Ingram and the "body shop." Ken had the GT. Always seemed to have a few SVOs for sale too.
    I have a brand new Dugan Racing decal that I can mail you. You can see if a sign place can copy it.
    Mike
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

FEP Senior Member

This is what Tom is doing now. Check out the pic of the Capri RS. Maybe reach out to him and see what he has on the wagon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BBS-Mustang...LH_TitleDesc=0
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Cool project, look forward to seeing this progress along.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE'SVO86 View Post
    Ha, I used to visit the guys that did the body work for them. They did some "crazy" stuff back then. They converted a Capri to an SVO, so it had all SVO stuff but with the Capri fenders and 1/4s. Did the same with a 86 GT. They all seemed to know or worked at MPS and Dugan. I used to visit Ken Ingram and the "body shop." Ken had the GT. Always seemed to have a few SVOs for sale too.
    I have a brand new Dugan Racing decal that I can mail you. You can see if a sign place can copy it.
    Mike
    That would be great, I'll PM you my address.

This is what Tom is doing now. Check out the pic of the Capri RS. Maybe reach out to him and see what he has on the wagon.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BBS-Mustang...LH_TitleDesc=0
    We actually went by the shop on the way home, not on purpose, just where the phone app took us, that was before all the not so fun troubles started
    on our "day trip"..LOL! I had sent him a message on facebook, but don't think he eve got it, so I sent him a message on ebay. Thanks for the pointer.

Blog Entries

Make sure Jack helps work on it. Things seem to go to hell quick once he leaves.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Nice to see you working on it Dave. A neat and different project for sure.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

I remember this thing. Dugan did some cool stuff back then, I have several of his "bibles" and a windshield banner or two. I've tried to find info on the 95 Cobra R that they rebuilt after it was cremated back then, late 90's I think.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

That wagon with the four eyed Mustang front is hilarious.

Will be interesting to see how much filler is in those panels to make the lines flow.

Reminds me of the Jeep Wagoneer that a tree fell on and totaled. Was still very nice but tops were stupid expensive. We turned it into a 4 door pickup for the shop back in the day. Custom formed the rear window by cutting down a Saab hatch and shortening up the glass, then got creative with old hood skins and metal wheel from there. Stupid thing had a working rear wiper when we were done. Lol. It looked so good that the previous owner bought it back..... so much for having a cool shop truck.

Love this thing! I always thought it was really cool. I bought an '83 LTD wagon to build into a copy a couple of yrs back, haven't gotten it done yet, but it is still the plan for it. Any unique details like the fender pics you already posted I for one would love to see. Thank you for saving it and sharing!
    '79 Fairmont Futura
    '79 Mercury Zephyr wagon
    '83 LTD Wagon - future Mustang "Sport" Wagon
    '84 Mercury Capri RS - 5.0 5spd
    Owner of Victory Engines and Machining, LLC
    g2G

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Will be interesting to see how much filler is in those panels to make the lines flow.
    Quite a bit I'm thinking, LOL! I was surprised at the back of the fenders they way they look, guess I was expecting a more professional job. A buddy of mine has the one fender from the passenger side. He's a full time bodyman at a real body shop so he's going to get it fixed right where that tree fell on it.

Mike
    I got the sticker today, appreciate it.
    Last edited by David Claflin; 08-13-2018 at 12:09 PM.

FEP Senior Member

Awesome, glad you can put the sticker to use. I've had it for 30 years I'm guessing. So that should give your some incentive to move forward.

Awesome, glad you can put the sticker to use. I've had it for 30 years I'm guessing. So that should give your some incentive to move forward.
    Right, it's going to be put on hold for awhile until I get my LTD LX going, then I can work on this turd again.

Yeah, the MCDugan Ford!

Son of a Mustang Ford....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHva52tOoeo

Not a bad look....

It will be run at the track for sure. Think it'll make a pretty decent pic to have it leaving the line wheels up, well, a little bit anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast