Close

FEP Power Member

Default 1982 Mustang GL coupe

Just bought this on eBay. Was too cheap to not bid. Surprised I won it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Ford-Mu...-/142866466516

Car was in Kingman, I'm in Phoenix. Just filled the tank and drove it 160+ miles home. Runs pretty darn good for what it is - 3.3 I6 and C5 auto. Comes with an invoice for a shop installing a reman C5 recently. It has some minor dings, worst is the crease at the front edge of the hood, but otherwise it is very straight.

Name:  20180721_103922.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  96.3 KB

Name:  20180721_104022.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  99.9 KB

Name:  20180721_105344.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  80.9 KB

Name:  20180721_105732.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  113.7 KB

(backside of bucktag image flipped/reversed to make legible)
    Marc aka tripice351. 84.5 GT-350 2.3T.. and now, 1982 GL coupe.

For some reason your link takes me to the wrong car. I found the listing for yours so let's see if this link does the same. $1,100 is indeed a terrific deal. Congratulations! I'm not sure why the previous owner put all that work in it only to sell it. I can't imagine any way that he doesn't have way more than that in it. True, it's not a very loved combination but the fact is that it's a clean coupe and that's all that matters. What are your plans?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Ford-M...pbSPhV&vxp=mtr

Yep, mine does too. ohh well. It looks very clean. you can find it if you search already completed listings.

He says the heat doesn't work and it's an AC car so that means the heater core is toast and that's a big job but it's extremely cheap if you do it yourself. It's a ton of labor but not any money. You will have to change the cross member if you want to put a V8 in it but again, that's all labor and hardly any money either. I think you got a rockin' deal really. I hope you have big plans for it.

FEP Power Member

eBay links go to the right car for me, not sure what's with that. I saved the description -

Name:  ebay.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  47.7 KB

Previous owner is moving back to Texas and didn't want to / couldn't take it with him. He definitely put more into it than I paid - receipt for the reman C5 was $850 installed, and a Discount Tire receipt for the tires for another couple hundred. No other receipts, but my judge-of-character radar told me he was an honest guy, I believe the eBay description as far as work he did to it.

That said, the single engine pic on eBay does show the missing A/C compressor and hoses. It doesn't show all the missing smog equipment. EGR and tubing is gone, smog pump is gone but pipe is still on the exhaust. Hopefully, that won't be an issue - last I checked AZ has emissions waivers for cars with collectible car insurance. That exemption is missing from the current version of the website --

www.myazcar.com/locations-waivers

Hopefully that's an oversight (or intentionally left out to keep people paying testing fees).

Don't have a plan right now beyond getting cleaned up real nice, get it up on the hoist at work (I work in a shop) and give 'er a real once over, fiddle with the carb and timing to see if I can get it to idle better. If I can get it registered without dealing with the smog pump issue and slap together a working A/C system I'll probably keep the drivetrain in it and focus on the interior / exterior, and drive it occasionally. If I keep it long enough, it'll end up with a V8 eventually.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Probably because you won it. The link goes to a different car for everyone else with a message that says "this item is no longer available but here is a similar item we found for you" for everyone else.
    It sounds like this is in the right hands now. Keep us updated on the progress! I had a '66 coupe with a 200 in it and I loved it. Great mileage and decent power, so simple and cheap to work on and maintain. I loved it. All my friends had V8s but whatever, I still miss that car. Great little engine I always thought. I put a starter on it without jacking up the car or crawling under it. I do see a household wire nut in the second to last picture so that's not a great sign, LOL. but it's still a real clean ride. I would definitely address the yellow wire nut though.
    Last edited by homer302; 07-22-2018 at 03:37 PM.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    I would definitely address the yellow wire nut though.
    Hah, yeah that and every other wire on the car will get the once over. if that wire nut is the worst thing I find, I'll be happy.

Just drove it to the shop I work at. Gonna be spending some time on it after work this week.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

VIN
    1FA = Ford vehicle manufactured in USA by Ford Motor Company
    B = active belts, no airbags
    P = passenger car
    10 = Mustang 2-dr sedan (coupe)
    B = 3.3L I6 engine
    0 = VIN check digit
    C = 1982 model year
    F = Dearborn Assembly
    118603 = 18,603rd 1982 Ford scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly

Door Tag
    Date - 09/81 = September 1981 build
    GVWR - 3939 lb/1786 kg = gross vehicle weight rating
    Front GAWR - 2124 lb/963 kg = front gross axle weight rating
    Rear GAWR - 1845 lb/836 kg = rear gross axle weight rating
    F0202 = 202 lbs front accessory reserve load
    R0150 = 150 lbs rear accessory reserve load
    Exterior Paint Colors - 9D = Polar White
    DSO - 71 = Los Angeles district sales office
    Body - 66B = Mustang 2-dr sedan (coupe)
    VR - [blank] = no vinyl roof
    Int Trim - CB = vinyl seating, low-back front buckets (C) , Wedgewood Blue interior trim color (B)
    A/C - A = manual air conditioner
    R - 4 = AM/FM stereo radio
    S - [blank] = no sunroof, no T-roof
    Ax - 8 = 2.73:1 axle ratio, non-locking differential
    Tr - C = C5 automatic transmission
    ZZ = front springs
    GG = rear springs

Buck Tag
    MUSTANG = Mustang model line
    118603 = 18,603rd 1982 Ford scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly
    66B = Mustang 2-dr sedan
    B = 3.3L I6 engine
    0112 = body & paint rotations #0112
    9D = Polar White exterior paint color
    DF
    ST
    AC = manual air conditioner
    01 = NO rear defrost
    RM = rocker molding
    01 = no hood scoop
    -B = Wedgewood Blue interior trim color
    NLR
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Power Member

There he is. Thanks Fox.

With any luck I'll find the build sheet when I'm getting the crusty old carpet out.

Quote Originally Posted by tripice351 View Post
    eBay links go to the right car for me, not sure what's with that. I saved the description -

Name:  ebay.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  47.7 KB

Previous owner is moving back to Texas and didn't want to / couldn't take it with him. He definitely put more into it than I paid - receipt for the reman C5 was $850 installed, and a Discount Tire receipt for the tires for another couple hundred. No other receipts, but my judge-of-character radar told me he was an honest guy, I believe the eBay description as far as work he did to it.

That said, the single engine pic on eBay does show the missing A/C compressor and hoses. It doesn't show all the missing smog equipment. EGR and tubing is gone, smog pump is gone but pipe is still on the exhaust. Hopefully, that won't be an issue - last I checked AZ has emissions waivers for cars with collectible car insurance. That exemption is missing from the current version of the website --

www.myazcar.com/locations-waivers

Hopefully that's an oversight (or intentionally left out to keep people paying testing fees).

Don't have a plan right now beyond getting cleaned up real nice, get it up on the hoist at work (I work in a shop) and give 'er a real once over, fiddle with the carb and timing to see if I can get it to idle better. If I can get it registered without dealing with the smog pump issue and slap together a working A/C system I'll probably keep the drivetrain in it and focus on the interior / exterior, and drive it occasionally. If I keep it long enough, it'll end up with a V8 eventually.
    My B code 1981 C3 Bordeux Auto Mustang 3.3 had a high mount engine block, but basically the same engine.

E1BE 9C485-CA, Engine catagory AM, DCK, same IJ 204 AA engine decal is likew your 82

The emission gear is easy.

Foxy Capri and I had the same emissions system, which was common to all auto 81-83 Ford 3.3's in Foxes. Last year was the X code engine in the downsized 1983 LTD'S/ Marquis and carry over Fairmonts and Zephyrs.

You find it in some 1982 Cougars, Cougar XR7's, 81-82 Granadas, 80-82 Thunderbirds...its all the same basically.

Proper break out codes for the VECI label are around if you want help.

A/C has the SOL V throttle modulator to control idle speed under load, and some 82's came out in grey engine color if they had the low mount starter, BUT there sure was a whole heap of emplty box parts.

Note:-Vac Switch Assembley (Like SOL V, only vac operated, Refer Item 33, Idle Boost Solenoid [Orange Knob on 81, 82, 83 A/C Equiped 3.3's]; used as a kind of Throttle Kicker Control [TK], but to contol base idle). Your VECI diagram shows it, the 1981 cars skipped the details.

Yours is the first low mount 1982 I've seen with a Blue engine...normally these were gray rocker, grey engine block, or grey rocker, unpainted engine.

3.3's are great cruiser cars, with lovely off idle to 3500 rpm torque, but they aren't as economical or as much fun as a 5.0 carby 2bbl, CFi, or 4bbl when trashed...fuel economy really suffers when you have to drop out of cruise mode into normal traffic flows.

Turbo it!

You can keep all the normal emissions junk, and bolt on a T04 turbo like Lincs200 did.

13.5 second 1/4 miles!

"3-3-Fuel-Economy-Woes"

Read all 19 posts and breath easy.

This is the reason the 3.3 has its emissions gear removed...fuel consumption nosedives in modern traffic flows

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...l-Economy-Woes

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Could it be you remember things better than they were? Ever since I had my first car, a 3.3 '79 Mustang, I've said the 3.3 is the worst of both worlds. Crap fuel economy, crap performance. Zero advantage.

If you have to run emissions gear, then add two other emissions devices...a turbo charger and Yellow Strain Duraspark II under about 6 or 7 psi boost.

Back to making an 82 3.3 work well. On FordSix, FirstFox, Derangedfords90, Lincs200 all blew up there 1-bbl 3.3 turbos after getting brilliant results for acceleration.

Lincs200 was an overboosted 3.3 1982 Fairmont B code engine in a 3.8 1983 Mustang

FirstFox copied that system on his 1980 Fairmont sedan with T5 and 2.73 axle

Quote Originally Posted by First Fox
    Just sent this video to a member here and thought a few of you guys would dig it. It is just a short video of my wideband and boost gauges during a measured quarter mile on a closed road. I took the vid on my phone for my own benefit so I could look closely at the gauges after my carb tuning so the quality is bad, but it sounds pretty cool and I thought Some of you guys may like it.

After going over the video a few times with a stopwatch it comes very very close to what the gtech on the windshield indicated: 14.20 ish at 92 mph. This is not top fuel funny car fast at all of course guys but I am still pretty happy with the fact that this is a 200 inch nearly stock engine with a ONE barrel carb running 87 octane gasoline, and during this run never exceeded 4000 rpm. Its is also an incredibly driveable car that commutes 180 miles one way and nets 31 plus mpg. :beer:

Ford inline six. 0 - 90 mph, 12 psi: http://youtu.be/d5eNTz0MAwI

My garage:

1962 Falcon. 170/Auto.
    1965 Fairlane. Twin turbocharged 289/4 speed.
    1965 Thunderbird. 390/Auto.
    1980 Fairmont. Turbocharged 200, 260 Comp cam/T5 and '93 Mustang steering/suspension.
    1981 F-100. 300/4 speed OD. I use this primarily to haul my cars home after I modify them and they break.
    1987 Thunderbird Turbocoupe. 2.3/T5. Porche designed 16 valve, twin cam cylinder head.

"This video was shot mainly so I could watch the wideband and boost gauges during a measured quarter mile run on a closed road. It wasn't until after I played it back that I realized it sounded pretty cool so I posted it. This turbo 200 blows through a ONE barrel Holley carb atop a nearly stock engine. It is in a 79 Fairmont that is driven daily and year round in northern Michigan. It runs a 14.20 et @ 92 mph and delivers over 30 mpg."

Derangedfords90 both here and a FS did the whole kit and caboodle and kept the A/C, catalyst, and the high mount starter C3 auto

Quote Originally Posted by Derangedfords90 View Post
    1. Wondering if the stall is any different between factory 2.3t/c3 torque converters and NA 2.3/ c3 torque converters..
    2. If it is, has anyone tried putting it behind a 200 i-6? I figure the factory imbalance would be in the flex plate. Only difference would be the bolt pattern, which I assume is the same, and if not, easy to change on the he flexplate. Also snout depth could be different. Thanks in advance!

PS: will cross post in fordsix, but I figured I'd have better luck here since it is more of a 2.3t question. TIA!

His work proves that its easy to have the A/C running even with a turbo...

FirstFox got 32 mpg and sub 14 second 1/4 miles and true on road excellence.

because 1978 to 1983 3.3'S were downgraded to cast iron rod econo engines, as from 1969 on wards, the castings and reliabity was downgraded due to cost cutbacks. Heads improved, ignition, emissions, induction, cam profiles, gearboxes and carbs got better, but everything else performance and factor of safety declined.

The I6 is always normally way more reliable than any other engine, but when pressed, with stock ring clearances and carburation its a lottery.

But ya know, $2500 always gets you 13.5 seconds, even with an old automatic C5 equiped X code 3.3 with a 400 dollar Bord Warner TO4 0.57 turbo.

On 13 pounds boost, you can get 84.76 mph at 8.93 secs over the 1/8 th mile and 92.68 mph at 13.879 sec

On 20 pounds boost 85.45 mph at 8.907 secs 1/8 mile with 2600 pounds makes 252.10 flywheel HP and 226.89 rear wheel HP from http://www.wallaceracing.com/hpcalculatoreigth.php
    102.5 mph 1/4 mile with 2600 pounds is 224.62 rear wheel HP from http://www.wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php.

One good turbo, a rising rate fuel pump, perhaps an intercooler, and 3.3, you are golden for a few seconds on the 1320. http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-turbo-for-3-8

Then you get this.

FEP Power Member

@ xctacy - Good stuff. I already did a little skimming and set up an acct on Fordsix. Never had an I6 Fox, had most all the others (still no carbed turbo 4). Turbos make everything better.

Right now the plan is to try and get this thing legal. If it works out, I'll keep the I6 and get it tuned up. Then do the interior. If it doesn't work out, I'll have to figure out a new plan.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by tripice351 View Post
    Right now the plan is to try and get this thing legal. If it works out, I'll keep the I6 and get it tuned up. Then do the interior. If it doesn't work out, I'll have to figure out a new plan.
    Cool cheap find by the sounds of it and a good plan to start. Nice score with the freshly rebuilt tranny too. A running car to get some enjoyment and use out of before you attempt to undertake a larger project is a great idea. It's easy to get buried in it! I'm guessing the seats are toast under the covers and the dash and package tray are sun crisped? Is that original paint? The car looks sound so once you get to exterior cosmetics, so you'll be laughing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Cool cheap find by the sounds of it and a good plan to start. Nice score with the freshly rebuilt tranny too. A running car to get some enjoyment and use out of before you attempt to undertake a larger project is a great idea. It's easy to get buried in it! I'm guessing the seats are toast under the covers and the dash and package tray are sun crisped? Is that original paint? The car looks sound so once you get to exterior cosmetics, so you'll be laughing!
    Thanks. As usual the drivers seat is beat up (but still comfy) and the passenger is relatively nice. The patch panel for the torn seat floorboard appears pretty solid, with a bunch of rivets holding it on. Haven't looked closely, but the dashpad is black and looks like it was replaced or a topper put on it at some point, and is a bit warped with a few smedium sized cracks. The dash hull on first glance appears to be super solid, haven't found any cracks. Aftermarket radio deck that worked for the 10 seconds it was on before I popped the faceplate off so I could hear the car running and driving. The blue door panels are mostly really nice, except someone put a few screws thru the drivers panel. Interior quarters, a-pillars etc have some cracks but aren't sun rotted.

I still haven't pulled the carpet or anything, or looked very closely at the car. but it still feels pretty good to be able to turn the key and start a Foxbody again. Hoping to hear back on collector car insurance this coming week to get this thing road legal.

FEP Power Member

Collector car insurance is paid for, which means I'm keeping it. Should have it registered this week. Just ordered a new black carpet, should be here in time to install next weekend. Stoked!

FEP Power Member

Putting these here for posterity.

Name:  20180818_143627.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  122.9 KB

Name:  20180818_143708.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  134.5 KB

Doohickey on the back (choke heater?) is wired to the yellowish (left) wire of the alternator in the 2nd pic. It's the one that had the wire nut (fixed that ) That seems odd. Doohickey on the front (float bowl vent solenoid) is unplugged. Probably not ideal?

Didn't see any obvious vacuum leaks. Forgot to take pics, but found a few capped vacuum ports, and the vacuum lines to HVAC controls and (I'm assuming) a vacuum reservoir behind the fender liner are broken off.

The car starts pretty easily, almost too easily, and the choke doesn't seem to work right. Idle is not pretty. Seems low and choppy. Don't think it's stalled on me yet, but it needs to be addressed. But accel and cruise, and decel are fairly satisfying. I just popped the air clearner off and clean the carb up a little bit. Just now starting to try and figure all this out. You'd think jumping back into these old cars after all these years would be easy after working on brand new cars all day for 16 years. You'd be wrong. I've got the factory books - 1982 Car Workshop and 82 Mustang EVTM. Still will be interesting to try to figure this all out. Ignition timing and carb tuning are high on to do list. Checked and made sure the carb is actually bolted down tight, it is, so I've got that going for me.

New carpet installed. I found the (partial) build sheet. What was left was beyond saving, very few legible letters. Not a rare car anyway - went in the trash. Oh, and looked up some old id tags I found in the glove box - carb and auto trans tags. Will get pics.

Google found some old archives of what must be the eBay transaction when the last owner bought the car :

http://davidsclassiccars.com/ford/15...d-mustang.html

Which states " new carb (original included in purchase)" - so I assume the one on the car is the new one, and the spare the seller told me he lost was the original (also found at least a partial carb gasket kit in the trunk) It also talks about a blown head gasket causing an exhaust leak sound (with no other issue-?) which was then fixed by the seller who sold to me.