Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

[QUOTE=ashley roachclip;1885805]Certainly electrical watching that video

Any ideas where to tackle first from an electrical standpoint? Maybe the coil?
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

Totally agree! Electronic or electrical.

scan for codes

FEP Super Member

Since this is not an obd 2 car , codes are a bit harder to read.
    It is certainly a lot easier , if you could monitor live data as the engine is running .
    From the video , it appeared the car started right back up ?
    Yes or no ?
    I will walk with you one step at a time while you check what I ask for .
    Ashley
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

My Mustang experience is limited in width, but it's 37 years deep, and over those years the most trouble has been the magnetic pickup in the distributor. Engine would die out or fail to start when at operating temperature, but the problem would be gone once it cooled off.
    Over the years I've had one defective coil, one defective control box, and three or four of the pickups. I carry a plastic tool box these days with enough stuff to deal with failure of any of these three items.

I would just start with the coil. Cheap, easy, and you can't break anything else swapping it. Mine had cruise stutters when I bought it and it was the coil.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    Since this is not an obd 2 car , codes are a bit harder to read.
    It is certainly a lot easier , if you could monitor live data as the engine is running .
    From the video , it appeared the car started right back up ?
    Yes or no ?
    I will walk with you one step at a time while you check what I ask for .

Ashley
    Each time this happened, the car started right back up no problem. The egr valve has been disconnect and in the limited time it ran afterwards, it didn’t stall

It’s been pouring ever since so I haven’t taken it back out but I’m hoping this is the culprit and replacing it does the trick.
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

Just to eliminate the possibility, check the ignition switch for partial separation.

FEP Super Member

^^this is a very good place to begin .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Totally agree on ignition switch. They get warm and the contacts stop making contact when they start separating.

I swear the next time I change one I am going to JB weld it closed and let it dry before I install it.

Had a similar one, had just put a new Accel TFI on it.. Tried a Motorcraft, problem gone.. Otherwise, I'd lean on the coil.

Definitely inspection the ignition switch inside the column cover, free to do that.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

My car didn't run particularly well with the egr disconnected. Ran hotter and idle was hit or miss.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

Sent wrong video before as a forgot to put car in neutral

https://youtu.be/L2fvygdATJY
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

What was the tps voltage?

I had a car throw the same codes, except it wouldn't run at all. Someone pulled the ground cable out of the fender body ground while carelessly swapping a battery. Thjs is the main ground for the eec. I cut off the broken connector, twisted the wires together and covered it in electrical tape and drove the car home.

With zero ground, my digital meter was reading above 5v on the tps. Once I verified it was a bad ground, it was 2 minutes worth of work to find the bad eec ground.

My $.02, id start by ohming out the wires to the sensors that are failing. They all share a common ground to the eec. I'd check from the grounding pin to the battery.

Good luck.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Well, I finally tried to run the car over the weekend with the egr disconnected. Same issue. Would run ten minutes and then would start surging. Only difference this time was that it didn’t shut off.
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

Well, I finally tried to run the car over the weekend with the egr disconnected. Same issue. Would run ten minutes and then would start surging. Only difference this time was that it didn’t shut off.
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12