Close

Default Rear Suspension Sag

Looking for some help on trying to get the proper stance on my car.
    The car is a 1984 LTD LX with stock suspension.
    I put new tires on a couple months ago and don’t really like the way the car sits. The tires I used are 215/65r15 F and 245/60r15 R.

Right now the tears tuck almost 2” into the rear fenders and it looks as if it sits nose high like a gasser. I’d like to raise the rear end up and give it a little bit of a rake, especially if I eventually widen my extra set of 10 hole to run some 275s.

I was thinking of running some stiffer factory replacement (Moog 8599) springs in the rear to get rid of the sag. Is this the best way to accomplish what I’m looking for? I don’t really have the budget for weight jackers or coil overs hence the stock replacement springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Station wagon springs are heavier duty if I remember correctly

Could change springs, but results would be unknown.
    Back in the day everyone, including me, used air shocks at rear to clearance large rear tires like slicks.
    Pumped them up for cruising with full load of passengers.
    Adjust height as desired for the right rake or leveling when towing.
    With separate lines, can help level side to side.
    Cost around 60.00 a pair, much less cost and work than alternatives.
    Monroe MA810 Max-Air fit.
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=550&jsn=550

Air Lift air springs may work too. Fit inside the coils. Under 100.00. Easy to install.
    The leaf spring version easily corrected a rear spring sag on my first Ranger.
    https://www.airliftcompany.com/products/
    Last edited by gr79; 07-17-2018 at 12:31 PM.

FEP Super Member

Air shocks will certainly damage the upper mounts .
    I would go for a heavier spring .
    Look for the length differences in those you are looking at , wagon as apposed to your current , as new .
    You can cut the coils to achieve the desired rise height .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Could be a higher height of the top shock mount may change the overall shock angle.
    Then bend something up top?
    On my car, the lower bolt is ft to rear, which i really don't care for.
    Others are side to side bolt orientation (shock bottom mount turned 90°).
    Wonder if that was changed to allow more shock pivot and help limit side to side movement of axle?
    https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9998915K/Mu...cket-Kit-86-93

Had 275/60/15 on Ranger 7" rims.
    Worked fine except had sidewall punctures due to the narrow rim exposing the sidewall too much (bulge).
    245/60/15 fit just right.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by wdanison43103 View Post
    Looking for some help on trying to get the proper stance on my car.
    The car is a 1984 LTD LX with stock suspension.
    I put new tires on a couple months ago and don’t really like the way the car sits. The tires I used are 215/65r15 F and 245/60r15 R.

Right now the tears tuck almost 2” into the rear fenders and it looks as if it sits nose high like a gasser. I’d like to raise the rear end up and give it a little bit of a rake, especially if I eventually widen my extra set of 10 hole to run some 275s.

I was thinking of running some stiffer factory replacement (Moog 8599) springs in the rear to get rid of the sag. Is this the best way to accomplish what I’m looking for? I don’t really have the budget for weight jackers or coil overs hence the stock replacement springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rockauto lists all of the specs for the springs that they have on their site for the LTD. Keep in mind your springs (if original) are 34 years old and may have taken a set.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

FEP Senior Member

Stupid double post. What is up with this site lately?
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

I used air shocks on mine to raise the height. I used to love them. I liked being able to adjust the height easily. I later went with bigger wheels and tires in the back since I had the ability to pump more air in to help accommodate them. BAD decision. I have to pump near 100 PSI to keep the tires from hitting the fender so easily. So when I take a speed bump a little too fast the shocks launch my rear end up a bit. They don't really absorb anything for me like a shock should. We ride a little bit rough in this car lol I need rear lower control arms so I'm thinking I can get adjustable ones to raise the height and take out some air for a softer ride? I don't have the budget to do coilovers or something along that line either.
    Last edited by chevelle21; 07-20-2018 at 10:44 AM.

Would new spring isolators raise it any? I’m in the middle of replacing mine and seems like I’ll gain almost an inch as my old rubber ones were totally pancaked.

Especially if you go with poly isolators, I had to use lowering springs on mine after I put in poly