Close

Default Quarter Window Dew Wipe Replacement

How hard is it to replace the outer quarter window dew wipe, belt line weatherstripping, on an 84 convertible. Do you have to pull everything out, including the window?
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

I guess no one has done this.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Unfortunately I can't find anything that shows how this is done. It's been years since I worked on a convertible, so I don't recall much. From what I do remember, I do believe you will need to at least partially remove/disassemble the quarter window area to gain access. Pretty sure the interior panel has to be removed and possibly the window motor to allow you to drop the quarter glass down and out of the way in order to get to the weatherstripping.

Sorry! wish I had better information. Good Luck!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 07-18-2018 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks Trey! For such a small piece of weather stripping, I was hoping there would be an easier way.

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Unfortunately I can't find anything that shows how this is done. It's been years since I worked on a convertible, so I don't recall much. From what I do remember, I do believe you will need to at least partially remove/disassemble the quarter window are to gain access. Pretty sure the interior panel has to be removed and possibly the window motor to allow you to drop the quarter glass down and out of the way in order to get to the weatherstripping.

Sorry! wish I had better information. Good Luck!
    +1 You will need to get the quarter window glass out of the way. I believe the dew wipe is held in by rivets.

On my to-do list for the past 3 years along with the interior strip. Should get to it in another 3 years.
    05 Corvette Z51

Is this part available new?
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

I replaced mine and did not have to remove the window. I was able to remove and replace the weatherstripping and rivet it in place. It did take some pulling on the window a bit to get the clearance but it worked just fine.

Oh yeah.....all new weatherstripping for the convertible top, the windows and the doors will set you back about 600 bucks. At least when I bought mine 6 years ago that is what it cost!!

I did mine several years back and at the time only the 87 and up trim was available...it's all 1 piece. I modified it to make it look and fit correctly. That piece was the most difficult and I have manual windows. I did have a spare set of back windows that the side trim and seal was in good shape so I had the window pulled at the time and also had the top well trim pulled. I seem to recall one nut in the back that was tough to get at...had one of the kiddos with small hands get in there once I showed them where it was with a mirror and a flashlight.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Did you end up replacing these and did you remove the window? I am about to do mine and it looks like I can loosen the guide bolts and the window can be be moved enough to get to the rivets.

Has anyone done this recently? I have searched and there are no videos or instructions available. Thanks,