Close

Default Warning: General Motors related question and photo in here ...

OK, I know some of you are in here ... F-body owners, or friends thereof. Which Firebird (3rd gen, specifically) website/FB page is the most like FEP (in other words, the best)? If I find the right car, might have something like this one day. You can PM if you don't feel safe.

Name:  00x0x_1Mth5J0Gafd_600x450.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  41.2 KB
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

I’m right there with you bud. I love these cars, specifically the GTA’s. I owned an 87 GTA and that was one of the only GM’s I ever liked. As for a forum, I’m not much help there.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

I have been a huge Trans Am fan since Smokey and the Bandit! Grew up with a Dad that had a 1967 Grand Prix with the 400/Turbo 400, so was easy to love Pontiacs.

Dad bought a 1984 Trans Am brand new and eventually I ended up with, but that's a long story! Love the GTA's of the late 80's and the WS6/Ram Air of the 98-02's also. Unfortunately I don't have one anymore so I am not active on any forums to help you out . . . (Actually not true as I do have a 69 Firebird shell and a 1981 Turbo T/A roller . . . but I wish you luck in your search for both the forum and the right Trans Am!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

GM owners are way to busy manicuring their mullets to spend the time to develop an online forum. However, I LOVE them. My best friend has a 1989 350 GTA WS6 Trans Am with T tops, steering wheel radio controls, terrific sport seats that are multi-adjustable, etc. I would never own one but I have mad respect for them.
    It's interesting that not much has changed. You see a ton of Camaros at car shows now and they are mostly just LED lighting and decaled with Japanese child female cartoon characters. I'm not telling something that isn't true... It truly is what makes the world go around I suppose.
    Last edited by homer302; 07-15-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
    This is the correct answer. If you're not an idiot, and don't make idiotic claims or statements, you'll be more than welcome. It is a Tech only forum, so it kind of lacks the tight nit community feeling, but it's the #1 site for 82-92s.

Haven't seen a Facebook group yet that wasn't, 'beat your head into a brick wall' - stupid. 99% of the comments on Facebook are either trolling or they legitimately don't know anything.

If you're looking to get into a thirdgen Trans Am, skip the 85/86 in the picture. For that matter I'd recommend 89-92 over the rest, they're just built better and work better than the earlier cars. TBI cars should be avoided in general. 305 TPI cars are generally slow unless they are a 5spd with the performance gear ratio axle (G92). 4bbl cars and 350 TPI cars are probably the best bet for performance. The 4bbl will support a 350 just fine, and will respond logically to mods. The 350 cars generally have better gear ratios, suspension, etc but again you have to watch the gear ratio. Memorize the RPO codes for various gear ratios, and stay away from anything with 2.73, 2.77, or 3.08 gears. Most of the more enjoyable to drive thirdgens have 3.23 or better gears. You'll enjoy an 89 Trans Am with dual cats, PBR rear disc brakes, a 350 TPI auto or 305 TPI 5spd a lot more than an 86 Trans Am with the smallest cam GM used, 2.77 gears, and iron rear disc calipers that don't work even after a rebuild.
    1986 Mustang Notch, 2.3L Turbo Project

Homer is right about the cartoon stickers. Usually seen at car shows on a clapped out Camaro ot Trans Am that I would be ashamed to even show up at a cruise night with let alone an actual show.
    There doesnt seem to be nearly as many nice originals of these cars out there like our beloved fox bodies. I like the looks of them when they are nice originals or restored but I bleed Ford blue so....

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    Homer is right about the cartoon stickers. Usually seen at car shows on a clapped out Camaro ot Trans Am that I would be ashamed to even show up at a cruise night with let alone an actual show.
    There doesnt seem to be nearly as many nice originals of these cars out there like our beloved fox bodies. I like the looks of them when they are nice originals or restored but I bleed Ford blue so....
    I think you'll find that the bar is going up quickly in the Third Gen world. Lots of mint low milers coming out of the woodwork and a growing community striving to get or keep their car, as near to perfect as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy2.3Mustang View Post
    This is the correct answer. If you're not an idiot, and don't make idiotic claims or statements, you'll be more than welcome. It is a Tech only forum, so it kind of lacks the tight nit community feeling, but it's the #1 site for 82-92s.

Haven't seen a Facebook group yet that wasn't, 'beat your head into a brick wall' - stupid. 99% of the comments on Facebook are either trolling or they legitimately don't know anything.

If you're looking to get into a thirdgen Trans Am, skip the 85/86 in the picture. For that matter I'd recommend 89-92 over the rest, they're just built better and work better than the earlier cars. TBI cars should be avoided in general. 305 TPI cars are generally slow unless they are a 5spd with the performance gear ratio axle (G92). 4bbl cars and 350 TPI cars are probably the best bet for performance. The 4bbl will support a 350 just fine, and will respond logically to mods. The 350 cars generally have better gear ratios, suspension, etc but again you have to watch the gear ratio. Memorize the RPO codes for various gear ratios, and stay away from anything with 2.73, 2.77, or 3.08 gears. Most of the more enjoyable to drive thirdgens have 3.23 or better gears. You'll enjoy an 89 Trans Am with dual cats, PBR rear disc brakes, a 350 TPI auto or 305 TPI 5spd a lot more than an 86 Trans Am with the smallest cam GM used, 2.77 gears, and iron rear disc calipers that don't work even after a rebuild.
    You sound very familiar!

The biggest problem with performance on those cars was the lack of mainstream production of the combos that work! They were a tease. You can get a 350 TPI but you can’t get a 5-speed.... unless you get a 305, etc. Meanwhile in the Mustang world we could get whatever we wanted..... 5.0HO with a 5speed and 3.08’s? No problem! And our beloved foxes were so much lighter too.

I ran a guy back in the day with a 350TPI and an auto with a shift kit and a brake and a stall converter with 3.73’s out back. It was a race for sure. Long story short I won 2 out of 3 with my 86GT.

Looks wise they have their merits and nobody can argue that. Creature comforts were ahead too. What’s amazing is that they are WAY easier to drive but so many more of them were totaled. Torque arm and better brakes?! Come on, how did so many get destroyed in crashes — they certainly weren’t faster!

My personal favorite is the early 70’s TA with the 455 and 4-speed. Rare but a bad-ass ride! 6.6L turbo 4-speed cars were impressive too.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    The biggest problem with performance on those cars was the lack of mainstream production of the combos that work! They were a tease. You can get a 350 TPI but you can’t get a 5-speed.... unless you get a 305, etc. Meanwhile in the Mustang world we could get whatever we wanted..... 5.0HO with a 5speed and 3.08’s? No problem! And our beloved foxes were so much lighter too.

I ran a guy back in the day with a 350TPI and an auto with a shift kit and a brake and a stall converter with 3.73’s out back. It was a race for sure. Long story short I won 2 out of 3 with my 86GT.

Looks wise they have their merits and nobody can argue that. Creature comforts were ahead too. What’s amazing is that they are WAY easier to drive but so many more of them were totaled. Torque arm and better brakes?! Come on, how did so many get destroyed in crashes — they certainly weren’t faster!

My personal favorite is the early 70’s TA with the 455 and 4-speed. Rare but a bad-ass ride! 6.6L turbo 4-speed cars were impressive too.
    It was pretty simple back in the day if you wanted a fast 5.0 Mustang. 5 speed or auto. The 5.0 motors were all the same across the line up. 2.73 or 3.08 gears with a stick. AND, dealer lots were packed with 5 speed cars. The opposite was true on 3rd gen Camaro/Firebirds. Dealers typically ordered the milk toast combos for inventory and that's what most folks bought. The fast combos usually needed to get special ordered and the buyer ordering it needed to be familiar with the order book.

There were variants in cams, exhaust, gears, etc. To get the good stuff you had to know which boxes to check - and the saleperson was typically of no help.

I worked for gm from 94 to 06 so I saw alot of these cars. They really were generally owned by douches. The tpi really looked cool and they generally had a bit of a lumpy idle. But youre right, no shifter in the 350. They were so big. And the doors were massive! Put lots of hinge pins in those. That car could have been way better if they took about a foot off the length. With the 6 cyl, there was enough room for 2 under the hood. Oh and squeaks and rattles, they were 2nd to none in the squeak department. Alas, I would still take one if I could find a good one... there's the challenge.

I did my time helping wrench on a few. Those that weren’t owned by a douche were owned by someone that turned out to be a real creep! I know of multiple examples unfortunately.

Sorta blows the mind that this personality type attraction to cars exists, but it did and it does. Almost like kidnappers and cargo vans!

Agreed on squeaks!

I died laughing when an acquaintance dropped an Edelbrock head and intake 383 motor into his 305 5-speed car and was rewarded immediately with a broken torque arm.

Fixes to that yielded no joy on putting the power to the ground for a long while. My 86 beat him good and proper and my car was/is really nothing that special. He eventually figured it out and was rewarded by busted U joints. Fixes there yielded — you guessed it..... puked T5 parts all over the ground the day he put on slicks and found his rematch. Poor guy....

I do like the cars, just mostly dont like the culture of the day around them back then.

I got along better with a lot of the G-body guys. My brother still has his to this day and I was respected as a good resource for knowing what parts interchange because of all the time I spent working on them. Broke kids find ways to make stuff work and to make a buck in the driveway! 350 diesel car to gas motor conversion, 350 to 454 or 350 to 455, etc. Hell, even helped put a 5 speed into a Monte Carlo SS once using Camaro parts mostly.... I know my way around smallblock and big Block Chevy and Buick and olds and Pontiac of the late 60’s to early 90’s era .... but I drive my ford to the parts store and pick my ford as the one that will win generally.

if you wanted to build an improved GM back then with junkyard parts.... I knew which ones to get.

these days the Internet has a lot of the info, but there are for sure some tricks out there that don’t work and many that are missing from public knowledge for sure.

theres a butt for every seat as they say.

OK, thirdgen.org it is. Thanks for all of the good comments above. The car above that was advertised locally has sold, but I'll keep my eyes open for another. What I'm generally finding with F-bodies seems similar to Foxes .... either beatup junk not worth even looking at or nice condition cars that seem way overpriced. There are a few exceptions (nice car at nice price), but you have to be quick on the trigger. Don't know what's gotten into me lately, but something has also rekindled my passion for a 3000GT VR4.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn V View Post
    OK, thirdgen.org it is. Thanks for all of the good comments above. The car above that was advertised locally has sold, but I'll keep my eyes open for another. What I'm generally finding with F-bodies seems similar to Foxes .... either beatup junk not worth even looking at or nice condition cars that seem way overpriced. There are a few exceptions (nice car at nice price), but you have to be quick on the trigger. Don't know what's gotten into me lately, but something has also rekindled my passion for a 3000GT VR4.
    lol — guess you haven’t drive one with broken rear steering ..... or busted a 1/2 shaft mid commute lately — lol.
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    lol — guess you haven’t drive one with broken rear steering ..... or busted a 1/2 shaft mid commute lately — lol.
    Yes, those cars were overly complex, but it wouldn't be my daily. Well, I've already committed Fordication here, so here's another ....

We usually see them from more of a frontal angle....... in a side mirror where objects are closer than they appear.... just sayin.