Close

Default Need help stopped running!!

302 with msd 6a and ready to run distributor and coil.
    Quit after 8000miles. No spark. Found distributor bad as 1.5M ohms at pickup should be 850. Replaced with chinese duraspark2. Still not firing. We have 3 days of testing and still not running. Have two positive readings at the coil...
    What should thr readings be at the coil when cranking?
    Positive and pluse on the ground of voltage or ground?
    Hard to find info on this.. need to get it running to drive him 7000miles home.

FEP Senior Member

The MSD box can be tested very easily. Look into the manual for it, and IIRC, you just ground the white lead and see if you get a spark out of the coil with a spark tester hooked to the coil output. The power to the coil from the MSD box is very high voltage @ 350-500 volts. They are very prone to failure.

Unless you are racing the car I’d eliminated the MSD box. They fail a lot and are not necessary on a street car. They add very little power vs stock ignition.

Check your wires since the harness was jacked up installing the MSD.

Anyone have a good diagram of stock? Where are you located with your broken car right now— is another forum member nearby and able to help out?

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Unless you are racing the car I’d eliminated the MSD box. They fail a lot and are not necessary on a street car. They add very little power vs stock ignition.
    This statement could quite possibly qualify for the top 10 most intelligent and true statements in the entire history of the car hobby. MSD= My Spark Disappeared. Hilarious that people go buy an MSD setup and don't own a timing light. I can tell you which one will give your street car more power if you are curious, LOL.
    Last edited by homer302; 07-15-2018 at 06:07 PM.

Got it running. Replaced the ready to not run msd pos with a duraspark distributor. Then wired for 6a to duraspark. Tool awhile to find the diagram online. The wires to the distributor are totally wired different compared to the msd.
    Do not use msd. Keep factory ford coil, ignition, distributor and fuel pump. Chinese parts are crap. Almost all aftermarket are junk.
    On a good note I took my futura to the largest car show in western canada today. Got the worst sunburn I ever had in 41 years...
    Last edited by 78futura; 07-15-2018 at 11:02 PM.

Sunburns hurt! One tip I can give that came from my grandpa who was a 3rd generation farmer — 1/2 cup of Clorox in a tub of cool water will neutralized the acids that form in the skin when it is burned. It stops the burning that goes on after and takes the sting away. Soak a little while then shower it off with cold water. This will give a major jumpstart to the healing process and helps avoid higher severity burns

Just cold water alone does help but not in the same way.

MSD= My Spark Disappeared” - one of the most true and most hilarious things I’ve read here.

We had an MSD on a bomber class dirt track car on time. Had just added it the week before. cooked the box on the last 50 feet of the heat race. Diagnosed what was wrong by looking for the letters MSD, threw stock style stuff back on and had it running for the A feature which we were fortunate enough to win