Close

Thread: Cfi to carb

Default Cfi to carb

I have a 84 cfi 5.0 auto i am chasing gremlins all over and sick of it. I am goin carbed and want to go hei but what distributor what do i order? its a flat tappet cam please correct me if i am wrong. Is it the same distributor gear and the firing order the same as 5.0 302w firing order . Thanks in advance

Been there, done that. Don't blame ya one bit. IMHO, please save the world from another small block Ford disgraced with an in-your-face up-front, unnecessary, large hideous HEI distributor installation... where if the distributor is also an offshore cheapie HEI, you roll the dice whether it may only function for minutes prior to seizing up etc due to no lubricant within it's bushings... If all original, being a flat tappet camshaft, any 1975-1985 302 DuraSpark II distributor will work for you. I've done an ignition conversion similar to what you want to do, albeit with an '86 3.8L V6... though there's no difference in converting besides getting a V8 distributor instead of the somewhat needle-in-a-haystack V6 DuraSpark II distributor I had to find. Starting on page 3 of my build thread linked in red in my signature below, beginning at post #63, have a look at the details of my conversion. I couldn't be happier with how well it's still working today. You might like how simple, inexpensive, and reliable using the car's TFI coil, and a DuraSpark II distributor, and a 4-pin HEI module is. A layout wiring diagram image for the ignition is within post #110.

Another issue if you haven't considered it yet, is the necessity for a low pressure fuel pump, either electric in the tank (some details about this and an inexpensive homemade fuel pressure regulating/return contraption to work with the car's original fuel and return lines is in the build thread as well), or a mechanical pump mounted into the timing cover on the engine that's made functional with the addition of a camshaft fuel pump eccentric if yours hasn't got one.

Whatever firing order the engine has now, dictated by the camshaft, remains the same with another distributor.

Good luck with it and keep us posted.
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 07-10-2018 at 08:48 AM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Good info above but the 85 distributer is for a roller engine. He would want 84 or older for flat tappet engine.
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

I want to do easy as possible . I know hei is large and hideous but i have had luck with china brand so far and i want to go low buck. . I have a quick fuel regulator and and ill make a pick up in tank and bypass pump on rail. This is judt becoming a hassel and headache she may get sold .. i love the capri but almost at wits end

Quote Originally Posted by Lowetlx View Post
    Good info above but the 85 distributer is for a roller engine. He would want 84 or older for flat tappet engine.
    True, thank you. Meant to say pre-'85.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Lowetlx View Post
    Is it still a windsor firing order or just a standard im not near the car at the moment and wife has no clue

Got it handled thanks!!!!!