Close

RedFox82

Default My 'rare' decals...

Are they really THAT rare?

A while ago, I knew of only one other car with it (83). Then a friend told me he seen one in another town close to mine (82). Now here in Ontario, I have found an 83 GT with it for sale. They are popping up everywhere! Anyways, just thought i'd share.

PS: I want the 83 GT! Best offer takes.

8T3 GT

You mean for sale signs?

What part of Ontario you from?.Anyways, I am glad my dad told me about the 83. When and IF i sell it for a long time I want a 1984 GT350.

Windsor, Leamington area have lots of 4 eyed cars. Search Autotrader. lots of decent 83s,84's,and 82s

RedFox82

Lots? Theres like 2 82's in there, ones a junker and a rip off. The 83 I found for sale is actually in there. I search the autrotrader like daily actually. just never find any good deals in there.

crazy horse gt

what decal's are you talking about??????

Four eyed stangs

He has a Starsky & Hutch-esque black stripe on his car :P

RedFox82

This is the decal I speak of.

http://79-86.stangnet.com/Images/dcp0007.jpg

FEP Power Member

That decal is stock? I haven't seen one like that in person but I think it looks pretty damn good from that pic!!!
    1979 Mustang pace car
    1986 LX coupe

RedFox82

Well there's kinda a lil mystery surrounding the decal. It's not factory, I am pretty damn sure of that. Now I e-mailed the Dealership that my car was originally purchased from in 83, and they said they've never seen anything like it. (The guy I e-mailed has been there since before that time). So, I sorta ruled out Dealership installed. Now, I have receipts for everything purchased on the car since 83. And nowhere in my book can I find a receipt for this decal. So, I ruled out aftermarket. So in other words, no friggin clue where this decal came from. But I've now seen it on 3 other stangs. 2 83's, and 2 82's (including my own).

I'd really like to get to the bottom of it, but i've been trying for years, and have basically given up.

FEP Power Member

Since i'm not familiar with your dealership I may be incorrect about this but: Most of the dealerships i've been around (thats quite a few being as I am a technician) are split up between sales depts, service, body shop, detail, ect..... Anyway which part did you talk to when you contacted your dealership. My guess would be that either the body shop or the detail dept would have added those on if anyone. So if you hadn't contacted both or either one of those depts you might try that if still possible. Just a thought.
    1979 Mustang pace car
    1986 LX coupe

There is some mention of it in the 82-93 GT registry:

http://www.mustanggt.org/canadiangt/canadiangt.htm

Although I think you probably know about that since your car is listed on their site. I would think that they are very rare. You should take some good detailed pictures all the way around so that you have a chance at getting them redone if the car ever needs a paint job.

-Mike

RedFox82

My car does need a paintjob, and i got enough pictures im sure of the car. but when the time comes to repaint the car, it will be done all black i think. And yeah I know about the article on mustanggt.org, I supplied them with some info/pics.

SleeperGT

from what i'm told, my car originally came with that stripe pkg, which the car doesnt have now due to repaints of low quality. There's an 85 GT and a 86 GT here and both have that stripe too, but theirs were slightly different in the "gt" areas

RedFox82

Hmm, never heard nor seen of them on anything but late 82's (bright red) and 83's in same colour. Would be great to find a pic of an 85/86 with it.

crazy horse gt

never seen that stripe before, a new one on me, look's cool though.

For there to be that many in as many different areas of canada, you can rule out dealer installed. usually dealers farm out the work because the non union sales department does not like the labor cost union service department.

I am going to go out on a limb and say it was an option.

First off, you say there were slight verations of the Gt logo. I am willing to bet the variation directly related to the difference in Fords Gt logo of the same time. An aftermaret company would not have added the detail to exactly match the 82-84 ONLY GT style logo with the little horizantal stripes through it. I bet the 85-86 you saw matched the 85-86 GT logo.

Also, being an option, I bet your salesman could have missed it, because few cars would have been odered for the lt with it unless the sales manager really liked it enough to think it justified the cost. So that wold leave special order cars which are usually gone the day they come in. So few are ever noticed.

this would also expalin how a few different cars in a few different area ended up with the stipes.

8 years in Car sales , and the creator of the ORIGINAL R/T Durango!!! Before Dodge picked up on the idea , i started putting R/T durangos together with a stripe and badge package out of Royal Dodge in mentor ohio . Thats REALLY going to confuse the future collectors!
    84 20th Anny 2.3Turbo #1978
    84 Turbo GT 11.70@120MPH 418RWHP
    89 41X Coupe 2200 miles
    96 Mystic Cobra Terminator swap

RedFox82

Now if it were an option, it sure would be great to find out an approx number for them. I know that for the 82's, they only seem to be on the later created GT's. That came exactly like mine, bright red with black bottom. And the 83's all seem to be the same color combo.

I would start looking for the build sheet and the body buck tag. then look for a trim code out of the ordinary.

I think I still have all the trim codes on my site.
    84 20th Anny 2.3Turbo #1978
    84 Turbo GT 11.70@120MPH 418RWHP
    89 41X Coupe 2200 miles
    96 Mystic Cobra Terminator swap

RedFox82

I have the buildsheet in my book of receipts. Been out since 84. I also have the buck tag, window sticker, I got it all. Nothing looks out of the ordinary.. But I can't look at them now, they are all back in BC (other side of country).

Anonymous

I hadn't seen it in years 'till I saw the pic's of your '82 but I remember seeing some 4-eyes in the 80's with those stripes.

I say dealer option, they have that crap for the new Mustang GT's, strictly at your dealer. We had a 2005 Red mustang with the GT 300 racing stripe kit on the body and doors.
    The economic times suck... GREAT TIME FOR BUYING FOXES!!!

86 T-TOP RS, 32,000 Miles, near mint ONLY 320.00USD...

I thought that stripe only appeard on the Canadian GTs...like the name "GT Cobra" that was used only in Canada and not in the U.S.
    NASA Rocky Mountain
    HPDE Group Leader and CMC Racer

FEP User

My 83 Gt had the same kit on it!! It was purchased new in London Ontario. But the car was white with black interior and a sunroof. I still have all the paperwork for the car including the warranty card and the TRX warranty sheets i ll try to find some pics and get them up!!
    also i remember seeing a black 83 GT crusing London with the stripes but the stripe kit was silver.