Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 7.5 to 8.8 swap. What is all needed?

Going to be doing my 84.5 8.8 swap in the next month and am getting a little confused on the suspension part of it. Want to put new shocks and stuff but noticed that the 7.5 had something different than what the 8.8 had for quad shocks? Can someone explain to me what I can and cant use and what my options are? Thanks

Your suspension will work. I’d go with quality lower control arms, and ditch the quads. You’ll need to reroute the rear brake line. Lmr sells the bracket now. Easy Peasy. The 7.5 had slapper bars. With some MM lower control arms, ditch them too.

So lower control arms like these?
    https://lmr.com/item/MM-MMRLCA101/ma...trol-arms-7998

You got it.

Perfect thanks! So what about springs and shocks? Any particular types I should be looking at? Also could you link me to the bracket for relocating the brake line? Found one but it says it's for dual exhaust. Unless it's the same one.
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 07-09-2018 at 07:37 PM.

That’s the proper bracket for the 8.8” with duals.

Yup that's the one I seen. Thanks for the help!

not to hijack but its kind of on same topic. I have to cars at junkyard one a 89 with a 8.8 and drums looks a bit rough and a sn95 with a clean looking 8.8. I am looking to stay 4 lug for now. Can I get the newer rear and just swap my axles and brake stuff? I have a 82 gt

Also have questions regarding bushings. I want to change them all and put fresh ones on. Are the upper control arm bushings the one that attach to frame of car? What are the bushings called that are located right on the diff that the lower part of the upper control arm attach too? These are ones I'm looking from rock auto.
    Attachment 122088

Also want to replace these but not sure which ones they are. Sorry for all the newb questions, just trying to learn.
    Attachment 122089

Edit, are those axel housing bushings?
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 07-09-2018 at 09:10 PM.

FEP Super Member

Yes you can .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

FYI there have been many discussions on whether or not to use a poly urethane bushing on the upper rear control arms due to the fact that they need to flex and twist and the poly bushings can actually make things worse apparently etc. You may want to research this subject a little before you buy anything.

I did the exact same 8.8 conversion on my 1980 cobra (mine and my sons actually). One rear end was from an 86 and the other from a 94. There are many things and many $$ you can spend to upgrade your rear suspension.

FWIW I just wanted some basic upgrades on my conversion and replace some old crappy looking stuff. Here is what I did based on the research and what I thought would be good enough for me. Even these things will cost you a few bucks...

- replaced the upper axle bushings with OEM replacement rubber ones. I bought the maximum motorsports install/removal tool specifically for this to make the job much easier (they can be a pain and it was worth the money to get the tool IMO)

- Purchased new upper control arms with OEM rubber bushings(plain stock replacements) from LMR keeping everything stock (but new) on the uppers basically

- bought the maximum motorsports adjustable lower control arms. Very nice being able to adjust your heights and they are greaseable.

- New hardware all around.

- Didn't bother with the quad shocks left them off.

- Extended the rear brake line to the center section using the mounting bracket described above. Purchased the proper year center brake hose to mount to the diff and run new lines to the drum cylinders.

- Used the thicker 8.8 stock sway bars that came with the rear ends.

I'm happy with the results. My car is more of a cruiser with a few romps through the gears once and a while. It seems to handle quite well but I'm no suspension guru either

Hope that helps. Maybe others will have some suggestions. I'm not sure what your end goals are.

For the upper axle bushings I bought the MOOG K8637 from rock auto. You need to buy 2 sets of them since they are a set for left or right uppers (both axle and control arm which are different sizes etc). Since I went with new control arms I didn't need the other bushings for the arms etc.

You might be able to buy the rear axle uppers individually in another brand or check what NAPA might have. In my case I was already ordering stuff from rock auto and they were available to be shipped on the same truck etc. Shipping to the great white north can be painful and expensive at times

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    Yes you can .
    I assume that was to my question about swapping drums on a sn95?

https://www.cjponyparts.com/axle-hou...yABEgLJ-_D_BwE

this is the kit I used, But I needed the c clips too.
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

Quote Originally Posted by jfruauff View Post
    I assume that was to my question about swapping drums on a sn95?
    Yeah, you can swap drums/axles into the 95 housing. 8.8 housing width is the same up to 98. Just the axle length (out of the housing) is different pre/post Fox to SN95.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowetlx View Post

How do you know if you need the c-clips?

Quote Originally Posted by Sask84gt View Post
    How do you know if you need the c-clips?
    You shouldn't need them. 7.5/8.8 axles and c-clips are the same so if the new diff doesn't have them, just use the ones out of the 7.5.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lowetlx View Post

What am I missing with this kit? Why did they package suspension bushings with c-clips and friction modifier?
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

THe C-clips from my 7.5 were not the same as those from an 8.8. The axle shafts were though. The 8.8 I used didn’t come with axles. So I needed the clips. You should be able to use the axles from your 7.5 and the c clips from the 8.8.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    What am I missing with this kit? Why did they package suspension bushings with c-clips and friction modifier?
    back in the day you could buy a whole 8.8 from ford Motorsport minus bushing and axles and this was the install kit for a mustang that had a 7.5.

Anybody know if you can get those c-clips from rock auto? I thought I seen them at one point but cant seem to find them now.

Rockauto.com -> Ford -> 1988 -> Mustang -> 5.0 -> Drivetrain -> Axle Shaft Lock C-Clip

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    Rockauto.com -> Ford -> 1988 -> Mustang -> 5.0 -> Drivetrain -> Axle Shaft Lock C-Clip

Mike
    Thanks Mike, not sure how I missed that lol. So my next question is which one should I order as all 3 are different.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast