Close

Default 86 GT w/ T-bird rear discs (need e-brake cables)

I've been upgrading the rear brakes on my 86GT to 87 T-bird discs. I'm having a hard time finding what e-brake cables I should use. The stock cables are nearly 6" too short. Have any of you done this swap and if so what cables did you use? Thanks!

FEP Senior Member

http://www.northracecars.com/index.html
    Should have what you need.Good luck
    '86 Med.Canyon Red Met.(original paint) T-top,5 speed,3.55 rear,MAF conversion(A9L).MM adj. RLCAs,T/A,Panhard Bar,and adj MMRSB-3,rear T/A springs 375#-440#,MM C/C plates,MM 1.125" dia.swaybar,STB,4pt KMB,FLSFC's,'03 Cobra rack-n-pinion w/ Saginaw pump conversion.Bilstein MM coilover conversion and A-arms,front spring rate:250#.

Hi....RockAutoParts should sell the brake cables. I know they sell them for the SVO Mustangs.

84-86 SVO brakes are different than Tbird/93 Cobra brakes are. So not sure about those cables

seems to me the Lincoln Mark VII or LSC or something had a cable that’s just right.

Northern Racing is what’s going on to my 85 Saleen build.

Another option possibly - https://lmr.com/item/LRS-2635D-K/mus...c-brakes-87-92

I can’t remember what’s different between 93 and 86 e brake assembly off the top of my head.

On my 84 I used 2 of these. I’m running the t bird calipers also

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-2635D/1987-92-Mustang-Rear-Parking-Brake-Cable-Rear-Disc-Brakes
    Last edited by Lowetlx; 07-09-2018 at 08:25 AM.
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

I will add that you will have to let out all of the adjustment at the lever. Then once cables are on adjust them. It is very easy to do from inside the car.

Thanks for the info fellas. I was really hoping to find some stock item to use. So to further explain my setup: I'm running some Baer 12" fronts and some 87' T-bird rears. I'm using an 03' Cobra M/C and a Ford Motorsport prop valve. Lines were made as needed and there's been quite a bit of fabricating already. n It's a hard pill to swallow buy two cables for 90$ after spending a several hundred on all the other parts. Most of the cables I've been looking at are in the 20$ range. I'm just having a hard time finding a way to cross examine lengths and end lug styles on cables. I'll keep searching and fill you in if I find anything. If anyone thinks of some specifics please chime in! Thanks

You might be able to get 93 cobra cables and rivet the bracket from a 93 body. I can’t say for sure that would work. If you wait for a coupon for a sale you can get the lmr for less. To me it wasn’t a terrible price to pay for cables that fit.