Close

Default Rear hatch spoilers...

I thought I read somewhere that the 1979 Cobra model did not come factory with a spoiler on the hatchback. Mine did not have one from the factory although it has one from a pace car on it now. It was added by the third owner. It was spoiler less when I owned it the first time around in 1988...

I'm just curious because their is a 1979 Cobra on Ebay being called a "benchmark" car that has a spoiler. I also noted in the ad that his Marti report has a few more mustangs added to overall total than a previous Marti report that I have viewed. How many V8 Cobra's were made?
    1979 5.0 Cobra (Twice Bitten)
    2003 GT 'Vert
    2013 F150 EcoBoost 4x4
    Past Cars:
    1994 GT
    1985 GT
    1986 GT 'Vert
    1985 LX (2.3)
    1986 Turbo Coupe
    1986 5.0 5spd T-Top Capri GS

FWIW, my 79 cobra (v8 auto) didn't have it. I have one I'll be pouring big on it. I just think it looks better.

The only 1979 Capri or Mustang that had a spoilerwas the Pace Car. Cobra and RS and Turbo RS did not.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Very nice and rare car.
    Benchmark car? (Pavement) marking?
    Using the term meaning regular car, no or low miles. As built by factory, no mods?
    Pics show donut signatures. With 38 year old tires.
    What is the secure wired LL...tag on the grill above Ford supposed to be?
    No sport tuned chrome twin tip tailpipes? N/a with C4 trans?

Benchmarking. benchmarked
    New randomly selected production cars are obtained with one purpose.
    To get totally taken apart, parts bench marked, and scrapped.

"Aside from the battery it appears to be 100% original". It's not. It's a very nice, low mileage car that has had some kind of maintenance to be in the condition it is in. Original exhaust I agree, gone. Tag above the "Ford" on the grille says "COBRA". I don't feel that's an original item, added by the original owner? Like that spoiler? I disagree with it being a "one owner" car, as clearly the original owner isn't the guy selling, regardless whose name is currently on the title. It's now a two owner... the lucky winner of the auction will be the third. A car bought for the potential to make a profit, not as a collectible. I thinks its a really nice car, certainly shows well and the mileage.. phenomenal if true. If I had the means, I certainly would love to have. I hope it goes to an individual who will appreciate it and drive it, not stuff it away. I appreciate clarifying the spoiler. It's no different than the orange "pace car" stripe that my '79 Cobra has. I don't know how it got there, but it was on the car in August of '88 when I bought it. I'm the 2nd and 4th owner.
    Last edited by Rex_Arturus; 07-09-2018 at 07:02 PM.
    1979 5.0 Cobra (Twice Bitten)
    2003 GT 'Vert
    2013 F150 EcoBoost 4x4
    Past Cars:
    1994 GT
    1985 GT
    1986 GT 'Vert
    1985 LX (2.3)
    1986 Turbo Coupe
    1986 5.0 5spd T-Top Capri GS

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

I am happy to see you ask the Forum a question like this.

You are talking about this car here

I try to keep a database on these Cobra's. This one the hood decal has been added as well as the rear spoiler.

Honestly, I like the look of the rear spoiler better than without. In my opinion, Ford did too as no other Fox Body Cobra or GT did not have a spoiler on it.

Here is the car before it was modified.

1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371