Close

Default to rebuild the diz...

Greetings, all:

I replaced the diz in the 86GT recently but have one more project before road testing. It did fire up and had a nice idle. I bought a reman Ford unit from Mustangs Unlimited. It seems alright but has some mild play in the shaft.

Been reading up on this and want to do things right. I'd like to rebuild my diz and of course need to press off the gear and then press on the new. I have a new stator/PIP ready to go. But need the roll pins to properly reassemble.

Where do I get these gizmos at? If I try to box home improvement stores I'm sure I'll get that deer in the headlights stupid expression. Seriously where do they get these people? Can they be ordered in quantity? Auto parts stores don't carry them around here.

All ideas and thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

FEP Member

You should be able to find roll pins online at Grainger, Brownell's or even Amazon. If you have an old-fashioned hardware store nearby, they should have some.

The wording of your post tripped my dry sense of humor:
    "Where do they get these people? Can they be ordered in quantity?"
    I don't think you can order people on line anymore!

I was just like you but unfortunately got let down. I totally get it. You do all the research and find out there really is NOTHING to a distributor. Not hardly any parts at all inside. So I disassembled mine and pressed it all apart and installed my new stator/PIP. All satisfied with myself with how much money I was saving and how everyone else was poor saps who paid for a Reman unit when it was that easy. Then put it back together and it didn't run and I chased it for many evenings after work. Only to go down and buy one of those same Reman Distributors and it fired up and ran fine. Turned out the PIP I bought was junk. It just sucks to try to do the right thing and still get beat down. Owning an old car sure ain't easy.
    Last edited by homer302; 07-08-2018 at 07:32 PM.

Old cars need lots of TLC. The reman is installed and seems fine but another issue developed. I had a mechanic friend put the hew Ford PIP/ stator in the original diz and reassembled it nice and all. So now I have a spare. I may reinstall it soon. So far all went well with diz and relocate the TFI project.