Close

Default Door Seals for 1979

I purchased a weather stripping seal "kit" from one of the larger Mustang after market parts suppliers and finally got around to replacing the door weather strips. Passenger door will close if you give it a little extra push, drivers door not at all. Strikers are adjusted so that the door sits flush or with the body contours. Pull the seal off, door closes easy (same as if the original seal was installed). It obviously an issue with the door weather seal and not an adjustment. Where have you guys bought your door weather strips at? Who sells a quality piece that is OEM that worked correctly that didn't require slamming the door so hard the interior panel pops loose? Car is a 1979 Cobra...
    1979 5.0 Cobra (Twice Bitten)
    2003 GT 'Vert
    2013 F150 EcoBoost 4x4
    Past Cars:
    1994 GT
    1985 GT
    1986 GT 'Vert
    1985 LX (2.3)
    1986 Turbo Coupe
    1986 5.0 5spd T-Top Capri GS

I put the same (probaly) seals on. They are stiff. A year later and the driver door closes pretty good with just a bit of extra effort. I need to adjust the pass door, but I'm not going to until I fix my door. They get better. I think this is pretty normal. I remember the same when my dad replaced his on his nova years ago

Hi, I got my seals from a Mr. CJ parts, easy to replace but with a bit of adjustment with a plastic hammer! The doors needed a good slam to close for the first few times but now they just require a firm pull. By chance had your doors been adjusted to take up the slack of the old seals? My doors used to rattle before I replaced the seals.
    Cheers
    Steve
    People who say it cannot be done should not get in the way of the people doing it!

1979 Mustang 2.8V6
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 limited

Mine was a pain at first but after awhile they close fine. From what I've read they can be a pain for a long period of time. I got mine from Fox Resto 7 years ago, but are probably the same as other supply houses.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

I can't settle for the "that's just how it is for awhile". I just don't find it acceptable to slam the door because it has a new seal on it. I also don't think adjusting the striker to put the door outside the frame so that it closes is any different than it not fully latching. Both doors closed perfect with the old seals. I didn't replace due to rattles, just figured they were old and had a worn spot or torn. I should be able to set the door striker to engage the latch fully with the door skin flush with the quarter skin then install the seal. The seal should fit the gap. I expect to have some resistance, but not so much so that pulling the door closed requires such force that my interior door panel comes loose.

At least these seals are cheap ($25) that I can purchase another set of higher quality "made to exact OEM specifications" for $37... see what that does for me.
    2003 GT 'Vert
    2013 F150 EcoBoost 4x4
    Past Cars:
    1994 GT
    1985 GT
    1986 GT 'Vert
    1985 LX (2.3)
    1986 Turbo Coupe

You can try these, but they're expensive. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-79-93-F...AAAOSwv3JbIZFk

If not I would call NPD and see what they have to offer. Some times they have NOS parts not listed in the catalog.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

NPD shows FORD replacement for $115.... your not kidding. Expensive!
    2003 GT 'Vert
    2013 F150 EcoBoost 4x4
    Past Cars:
    1994 GT
    1985 GT
    1986 GT 'Vert
    1985 LX (2.3)
    1986 Turbo Coupe