Close

Thread: Camber issue

Default Camber issue

Background of my issue. Car is an 85 Mustang GT. Factory lower a arms with new bushings and sn95 ball joints, ford racing b springs, 95 spindles and 04 cobra brakes. Also have maximum motorsports caster camber plates as well. Issue is I have a set of bilstein struts off an 03 Cobra. They bolt up to my spindle and everything bolts together fine but my camber is way far positive even with the caster/camber plates adjusted all the way in. I've read other people using them just fine. What am I missing? I had a set of fox struts before but had the gap at the spindle mount so bought these hoping to fix that issue. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
    1985 Mustang GT TTOP

FEP Super Member

Had the same problem on my 84.
    Changed to 95 lower control arms , then 03 cobra lower control arms .
    I have all the adjustment I want now .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Hmm the arms may still be on the car. Would I be better off just getting a proper set of struts? The ones I have are the correct length I just need to figure out the spindle gap where the bolt to.. I'm guessing I need some sort of spacers or something.
    1985 Mustang GT TTOP

FEP Senior Member

Are the C/C plates installed correctly?
    Improper install can lead to issues similar to what you are seeing.
    The left/right sides are shaped slightly different and are side specific,the part numbers stamped on the main plates need to be facing down.
    Just be sure to pay close attention to the proper orientation shown in the install instructions.

Good luck
    '86 Med.Canyon Red Met.(original paint) T-top,5 speed,3.55 rear,MAF conversion(A9L).MM adj. RLCAs,T/A,Panhard Bar,and adj MMRSB-3,rear T/A springs 375#-440#,MM C/C plates,MM 1.125" dia.swaybar,STB,4pt KMB,FLSFC's,'03 Cobra rack-n-pinion w/ Saginaw pump conversion.Bilstein MM coilover conversion and A-arms,front spring rate:250#.

Actually turns out the passenger one had the part number facing up. I will get it flipped around and see if it helps at all. Thanks for the info
    1985 Mustang GT TTOP

Your struts have camber adjustment built into them by way of the larger diameter lower bolt hole.

When you tighten the spindle bolts to the strut, you need to hold the assembly in the most negative camber position possible. This is extremely important.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

I used a heavy bar to pry negative camber into my 86 then had a buddy tighten things up. A jack could have worked too but it was more fun with a friend.

Camber bolts were required up top on my friend’s 86. My 86 required them top and bottom along with a heavy dose of bar persuasion.

we got from +7 at max negative all the way to -2 with the struts centered.

If you flip a spare you can set the car’s weight on the spindle then torque the bolts while it’s under load. Read about that trick after trying out for the strong man competition with a big pry bar.....

Ended up swapping the LCA to the ones off the 03 Cobra. Seems to fix the camber issue. But now the wheel sticks out some which is expected. What wheels you guys using to set the wheel back some? I have stock 99 to 04 gt wheels right now
    1985 Mustang GT TTOP

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Did you implement Jack Hidley's alignment suggestion first? Did that not work?

S197 wheels ('05+) have deeper positive offset and would fit better with your new, longer front control arms. But they'd be sucked in more in the rear, so that doesn't help.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

I ended up using the fox struts and made the shims to make it tighten together correctly. I did have it as much as I could but it still wasn't even close. Ya that's what I was thinking. Could get s197 wheels up front use sn95 wheels in the back. Pretty much the only wheel I could think of that they use in s197 and sn95 though is the Bullits
    1985 Mustang GT TTOP