Close

Default Caution - sticker shock parts

There are a few parts on our old cars that are slowly becoming difficult to find and insanely expensive because of it. Post up your sticker shock moment and what you did about it!

Example:
    1981-86 Ford Mustang Door Arm Rest Clip Nuts Large NOS - E1DZ5424146BB, d6fz6224146a
    https://www.foxresto.com/1981-86-Mus...-p/3381002.htm

Arm rest clips -- $20 EACH ! SAY WHAT?! Yes -- EACH... you need 4 to put your interior back in! First I was like and then I was like

I did a bunch of digging online and eventually found someone with a box of them that was selling the clips in pairs for just over $10 per clip. https://picclick.ca/ ended up being one method of finding things for sale on Ebay in foreign countries.... Found someone in Canada that had some. Needless to say I snatched them up even though I felt rather robbed on the deal!

When you're trolling the junkyard and see a four eyed fox that's already been executed and now its just the formality of picking the bones clean -- grab these! Grab the small ones too! Name:  door_nut_clips_large.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  52.7 KB

About the only thing that works if you don't have these is toggle bolts, sadly.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by erratic50; 07-04-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Why not just buy these on Ebay for $6.50 per door?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-4925...RSp6WP&vxp=mtr
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

ANYTHING unique to a '93-04 Cobra. Prices are WAY out of line.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by RED 78' View Post
    Why not just buy these on Ebay for $6.50 per door?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-4925...RSp6WP&vxp=mtr

Mainly because when searching I never found anything remotely similar to that. Looks like they didn't include the Ford part number cross references which is likely why I didn't find it. Great find -- wish I would have known before I ordered but that's what happens sometimes. Hopefully it will save some $$$ for the next guy!

Also hopefully these are just as good of quality as the originals.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    ANYTHING unique to a '93-04 Cobra. Prices are WAY out of line.
    Is true, but unless you're talking about swapping parts from them on to our cars (which some of us do of course) they have nothing to do with our four eyed foxes.

I'm mainly talking about stuff that was shockingly expensive that is OE parts for our four eyed cars.

Turn signal lights for an SVO as another for instance. Of course those have nothing to do with interior. Maybe Hurst shifter knob or leather seat kits on the SVO would have been a better example

Everything is insane. 10 cent clips in the day are not worth 2000% more today... and what I do about it all is improvise, fabricate other, which is usually better than the original do-hickey to boot.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Sometimes it a long shot but if you have ford dealer in your area that has a good parts department, start there. If they don't have it they can check every dealer In the country to see if there are any available. I just did that with my Saleen for the pcv elbow on the air cleaner. The dealers won't gouge. At the very least you ca get the part number and search from there.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    The dealers won't gouge.
    That might be true for some and even most, but definitely not the A$$HOLE Dealership in Grand Junction! Their over the counter price for cash paying customers is Ford's List/Retail Price plus 15% on top of that! I refuse to buy anything from those jerks! Hell I won't even call or stop by anymore as every time I have I left even more pissed off then before. I can order parts off the internet shipped to my house for less $$ then they will sell for and then they wonder why local businesses are suffering. Oh well off my High Horse, but I still recommend double checking pricing to make sure you aren't getting screwed.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I have a few of those clips from the JY at the tool bag discount.
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    That might be true for some and even most, but definitely not the A$$HOLE Dealership in Grand Junction! Their over the counter price for cash paying customers is Ford's List/Retail Price plus 15% on top of that! I refuse to buy anything from those jerks! Hell I won't even call or stop by anymore as every time I have I left even more pissed off then before. I can order parts off the internet shipped to my house for less $$ then they will sell for and then they wonder why local businesses are suffering. Oh well off my High Horse, but I still recommend double checking pricing to make sure you aren't getting screwed.
    That sucks. I have found many will give a discount if you ask. Even better if you bought a car there.

Find a dealer who does web sales. They often discount the prices as well.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Is true, but unless you're talking about swapping parts from them on to our cars (which some of us do of course) they have nothing to do with our four eyed foxes.

I'm mainly talking about stuff that was shockingly expensive that is OE parts for our four eyed cars.

Turn signal lights for an SVO as another for instance. Of course those have nothing to do with interior. Maybe Hurst shifter knob or leather seat kits on the SVO would have been a better example
    My mistake. I was indeed referring to swapping them on.

Parts that don't swap over from Mustangs into F/Zs can be a tricky market. I'm dang lucky my car was so nice to begin with.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by onetrackrider View Post
    I have a few of those clips from the JY at the tool bag discount.

That's the best way. Making mental note to remember these as pocket pieces.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    Everything is insane. 10 cent clips in the day are not worth 2000% more today... and what I do about it all is improvise, fabricate other, which is usually better than the original do-hickey to boot.
    I agree.
    That part cost less than a penny to make. The shop i worked at made similar fasteners.
    That is a CEO wage scale type price for parts. Ripoff anyway, anyhow, for personal gain.
    Attempts to collude, merger, then artificially inflate prices, car values, for high profit margins.
    Slowly make cars high priced to own, the ave driver has to sell so the rich take it?
    They can eat their part and the tv auction and reality cars too.
    And that goes for all other retail, online, service, govt, medical, whoever. Raising everyday fixed costs.
    Ignore fake biased surveys, advertising, reporting. Lies are obvious or will shake out later.
    Many are onto the game and continue to fight, protest, or refuse to play under those rules.
    They have lost the art of deception by over trusting and over using tech data for decisions.
    Last edited by gr79; 07-05-2018 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    There are a few parts on our old cars that are slowly becoming difficult to find and insanely expensive because of it. Post up your sticker shock moment and what you did about it!

Example:
    1981-86 Ford Mustang Door Arm Rest Clip Nuts Large NOS - E1DZ5424146BB, d6fz6224146a
    https://www.foxresto.com/1981-86-Mus...-p/3381002.htm

Arm rest clips -- $20 EACH ! SAY WHAT?! Yes -- EACH... you need 4 to put your interior back in! First I was like and then I was like

I did a bunch of digging online and eventually found someone with a box of them that was selling the clips in pairs for just over $10 per clip. https://picclick.ca/ ended up being one method of finding things for sale on Ebay in foreign countries.... Found someone in Canada that had some. Needless to say I snatched them up even though I felt rather robbed on the deal!

When you're trolling the junkyard and see a00000000000 four eyed fox that's already been executed and now its just the000me 000000000pl0l00000 formality of picking0a the bones clean -- grab these! Grab the small ones too! Name:  door_nut_clips_large.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  52.7 KB

About the only thing that works if you don't have these is toggle bolts, sadly.
    Popp 0 opp00 1920x1080 0]Tuscanyterriilgen@iheartmedia.com pppppppp0p00000pp0p00 PP in 0000p I
    00p00P0pppppp0pppppplppppppppppplplpppppplpppppppp ppppppppppppp

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

best part of this one is the part got held up in customs and never did show up at Trey's shop...... so now I've ordered Dorman kits.

You are building a Saleen Clone with an front valence that we told you was made of Unobtanium...and you want rant about $20 tinnerman clips? Ah yes...the good ole cost of a Fox Mustang restoration. It can drive you insane

And yes, I agree it is insane when a decent aftermarket part (for something that nobody will see) is available new for a fraction.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

I have a bunch of the green clips with screws if you need some still. Let me know and I will send them your way.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179