Close

Default How to fit largest air cleaner

I've got an '82 that used to have the snorkel (I still have it off the car).

I've read a lot about how that was great tech and should be kept.

However, before I had the car, a high rise intake and 4barrel was added that according to a mechanic would now only accept an open-style 8" wide air cleaner...not sure if he guessed or actually had a method to test.

Having the '82, I have the hood scoop that gives a little clearance, but I can't get a good enough look while under the car or even using a scope camera to see if something else might fit. I don't want to risk denting a hood or cracking the scoop. Are there any tricks to see what might fit? Is there a certain amount of clearance that is standard anyway for air flow as well as engine torquing?

Any opinions on best options given my situation are appreciated!

Play Doh! Just pick up some at Walmart and spread a thick layer on your current air cleaner lid. Shut the hood slow and lightly. Lift the hood and you will have an impression of the underside on the hood on the play doh. Measure the depth and there you have it! The additional height you can add to the current air cleaner.

The stuff is freaking magic for a ton of applications.

Kenny

That's a great idea. That will do great to give me a height estimate, but I also want to see how wide I can go from the the tiny 8" width I have now.

...maybe a flat board on top of the carb and a ton of play dough. Hope they sell it cheaply by the barrel!

You don't have to spread Play Doh over the entire area. Just make some round towers and space them around the air cleaner lid or your board and that will give you a good idea of your clearances.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller