Close

Default smog tube cleaning

I reassembled the car(1986 GT) and started it up after replacing the distributor- which required reinstalling the oil pump shaft with a telescoping magnet, as well as relocated the TFI module to the passenger fender well area. All went good and started right up but made plenty of noise by the air diverter valve. Sounded like I missed a hose from the smog pump but they all were tight. The diverter valve is new as is the metal check valve. The smog tube on the back of the engine is a replacement I picked up at Carlisle as I damaged mine during removal. I thought I cleaned it out good but maybe it is still partially plugged. I'm guessing the heads are plugged up with carbon also.

How bad is it to pull the heads and clean them or can this be done on the engine? Not much room in the back but I might be able to get at it. I haven't run the thing for more than two minutes so I don't know if I still have codes 44 and 94. I'd bet that I do. Car didn't have much throttle response either but did find a nice idle after about a minute.

And it appears that all other Thermactor components are functional but I will check them. That is once the temps drop a little around here.

Thanks again.

When I bought my Saleen it would not pass smog. I had codes 44 and 94. Cross over tube and heads were totally plugged. I cleaned the heads out on the motor. I took the cross over off the back. I pulled the headers and then I pulled the front accessories to pull the front plugs. One came out the other one I had to easy out and replace. I used a long drier vent cleaner, brake clean and compressed air to clean out the heads. Pulling the headers allows you to make sure the ports are cleared. It took a while but it did the trick. I have had no problems passing smog and the codes are long gone.

If your cross over tube was plugged then your heads are probably too.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179