Close

Default Trunk alignment and convertible molding help

So for as long as I can remember, the trunk on my car has not been lined up left to right. And the driver's side is up higher above the quarter panel, where as the passenger side is even. Attached are pictures showing what I'm talking about.

Also I noticed there is a decent space between the cover of the hinge on the deck area and the deck. Not sure if that gap is normal or not. It corresponds with a larger gap on the back of the hockey stick trim on the left and right.

I want to paint my trim and make these fixes all at the same time. Does anyone how how I can adjust the driver's side of the trunk down to be flush with the quarter panel and get the gaps more even? Thanks

1985 Mustang GT Convertible
    Stock and original @ 213k, except for dynomax ultraflos.

FEP Power Member

You are going to need to disassemble it to see what is going on. First start with the t shaped cover up next to the top. I believe there are 2 small hex head bolts on the bottom side. You need to put the top down to get to them. They should be covered with black duct tape. The rest is straight forward. They do not make a replacement gasket for the part that mates to the body. Only the trunk lid side.

I have some hinges off the car and will see if I can get some pictures.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I'm having the same issue with an aftermarket trunk lid on my coupe. The passenger side follows the quarter panel lines pretty good but the gap is fairly large. The drivers side gap is wide towards the rear window the gets real tight near the taillights. I don't really see any way to adjust the left to right gaps. I've seen where others have built up a large gap by taking a welding rod and welding it to the edge of a door or trunk to close the gap up some. In my case where its large then narrows down on the same side the only thing I can think to do is cut a very small amount off the edge of the trunk where the gap is tight then weld it back up. Not really something I look forward to doing on a brand new part.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    You are going to need to disassemble it to see what is going on. First start with the t shaped cover up next to the top. I believe there are 2 small hex head bolts on the bottom side. You need to put the top down to get to them. They should be covered with black duct tape. The rest is straight forward. They do not make a replacement gasket for the part that mates to the body. Only the trunk lid side.

I have some hinges off the car and will see if I can get some pictures.
    Oh, so there should be a gasket in that space between the trunk hinge cover and the body? I don't remember seeing one in there. Could I make one out of a piece of rubber?

Quote Originally Posted by 79mustang View Post
    I'm having the same issue with an aftermarket trunk lid on my coupe. The passenger side follows the quarter panel lines pretty good but the gap is fairly large. The drivers side gap is wide towards the rear window the gets real tight near the taillights. I don't really see any way to adjust the left to right gaps. I've seen where others have built up a large gap by taking a welding rod and welding it to the edge of a door or trunk to close the gap up some. In my case where its large then narrows down on the same side the only thing I can think to do is cut a very small amount off the edge of the trunk where the gap is tight then weld it back up. Not really something I look forward to doing on a brand new part.
    Fortunately for me, the gaps are even on each side, but not equal side to side. I'm trying to figure out how to shift the trunk lid left to equal them out. Your situation sounds like like your lid may be defective, since one side is not even from front to back. Did you call the aftermarket company?
    1985 Mustang GT Convertible
    Stock and original @ 213k, except for dynomax ultraflos.

FEP Power Member

The gasket is kind of a rubberized foam and looks more like butyl sealer when taking it off. It’s shaped like a “v”. I have been trying to source a similar material.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Fortunately for me, the gaps are even on each side, but not equal side to side. I'm trying to figure out how to shift the trunk lid left to equal them out. Your situation sounds like like your lid may be defective, since one side is not even from front to back. Did you call the aftermarket company?
    No haven't tried sending it back. This is basically the type of crap you get with repo parts. I've had it for awhile and just lately gotten around to putting it on so doubt they would take it back anyways. I'm sure its fixable just sucks having to make a new part look right. As far as I know there is no left to right adjustment on the trunk

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    That is the trunk lid side gasket. He needs the body side gasket which is not available.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    That is the trunk lid side gasket. He needs the body side gasket which is not available.
    Ah.....funny a company does not make it for the hinge as they make it for the trim that meets the hinge.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

It has been awhile since I messed with them. From what I remember the small hex head screws are to secure the covers. There are two larger studs that has a nut with integrated washer...one for body and one for lid...and there should be enough wiggle room to get them where they need to be. I disconnected the hinge spring to get it right. The early 1985 and earlier verts only had one hinge spring on the passenger side, and the later 1986 and later verts had a hinge spring on each side.

In looking at your pictures I am wondering if the body side has come a little loose and the hinge springs are settling the lid the way it is. I would also take a look at those hockey stick stud nuts to make sure they haven't come loose or broken...they are plastic...while in there.

I also utilized the black caulk tape that comes in a 50' roll. This keeps everything water tight...though it never sees the rain and only gets sponge baths. It used to be popular back when but I could only find it at an RV parts place when I did these back 6-7 years ago.
    Last edited by bwguardian; 07-08-2018 at 12:34 PM.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

FEP Senior Member

This may help with the alignment issue if you still are working on it. I'm late to the party...