Close

Default TFI and the starter

Strangest behavior today... I had my PIP go (code 14) so I replaced the distributor. After ordering 3 distributors with "cast" gears and getting forged on each of them... Argh. Anyway, got it all together, drove it one day and this morning the starter would engage in the "on" key position, and of course wouldn't stop till I turned the key to "off". Unplugged the tfi and the starter would operate like normal (but not start of course). Replaced the tfi module, works like it should. Crazy.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

And this doesn't help either. No electrical power at all this morning.Name:  IMG_20180701_090411.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  71.7 KB
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Sounds like coincidence I think.

FEP Member

If that was my car, I'd be looking real carefully at the ignition switch, especially if it was original equipment. Talking about the one at the bottom of the steering column.

Well, the ignition issue was definitely the tfi. The wire looks like it melted ages ago and just now finally corroded in two...

FEP Member

I was referring to the starter engaging when the key was turned to the run position. I should have been more specific.

If you didn't know, the ignition switch I mentioned is notorious for failure.

Ahh, yeah, it was the module in the end. You could engage the starter by pressing on the module. Crazy cheap POS.