Close

Default Foxbody interior intechanging

Ok I have been all over google and seem to find mixed replies. The interior in my 82 is falling apart mostly 1/4 trim rest could probably be painted but edges have seen better days. Finding 79-82 decent parts is like finding gold at end of rainbow.

I know some welding for seat belts ect will need done but can a say 90+ fox interior work in a 82? I seen people say no way then Ill see pics of dash and center in a older model. I like different things about look of each but just want to get this bad boy looking clean.

With a little work yes it can work. There are problems like the 1/4 glass window trim is made for the glass outside on the 87+. Can be trimmed.

As for the rest, I’d try to save it but on that each their own.

im a little biased I guess. Personally I wouldn’t give 3 cents for every 87+ dash made.

i will admit I do like what Trey was doing on his 82 to blend the 87 and 82 Center consoles and glove boxes together though.

The easiest solution is to use 79-86 panels. They are essentially bolt in, although there have been some minor screw hole and door panel hole location changes during production. Nothing major, but just be aware that can happen.

The Dash pad is reproduced now, just be sure to buy the "GOOD" one and not the cheap urethane version. NPD sells the good dash pad with the fiberglass core and is made very similarly to the OEM pad.

Seat belts will interchange except for the rear shoulder belts on the late Aero (90-93 IIRC). The Seat Belt height on the door pillars also changed in 90 therefore the panels for the 90-93 have the hole at a lower height than the Four Eyed Cars, so keep that in mind too.

The 87-89 quarter panels are essentially bolt in, although again some of the screw holes are in different locations, no big deal, but be aware. You will also have to trim off @ 3/4" from the quarter window area since the Four Eyed glass is mounted on the inside and the Aero glass is mounted from the outside.

87-93 door panels can be swapped over, but you will need the correct PW/PL switches and you will have to either splice into your existing harness or remove all the wiring and swap the over to the correct pigtail.

I am sure I am missing something, but the wife is telling me its lunch time so . . . . Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

"Finding 79-82 decent parts is like finding gold at end of rainbow."
    You said it
    Name:  rainbow on road.jpeg
Views: 210
Size:  14.9 KB
    Name:  end of rainbow.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  30.2 KB

I have one of the urethane dashes with the steel core in my SVO. It looks perfect but yes I had to do some work with a dremel tool to make it fit right.

The only thing I've run into problem wise was trying to use 82-93 parts in my 79. 79-81 has some different mounting and location points. Since you have an 82 I would try to use 83-86 parts except the rear QTR plastics I'd try to find 79-82 for those. With that being said all the parts will interchange for the most part. Oh 79-80 doors have the door lock in the horizontal postion under the door/arm rest and is a pita to swap using later door panels.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153