Close

Exclamation Bassani Exhaust Band Clamps Not Tight Enough

I'm having an issue with my Bassani exhaust. The tail pipes after the mufflers are not tight enough and will rotate after driving.

Has anyone modified the band clamps to get more clamping force?
    Last edited by banzaibullitt; 06-29-2018 at 04:18 PM.
    Project "WinBacK" 1986 LX Hatchback
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

I’ve always just modified with a spot weld, screw, or rivet.

That type clamp is for notched pipes. Is bolt positioned between the notches?
    https://lmr.com/item/BE-TC250/Mustan...ust-Band-Clamp

Am using wider ss Easyseals centered on pipe joint seams. Regular store tubing, no slots.
    Basically same design clamp with two grade 8 flanged bolts and nuts. Anti siezed them.
    Took 60# torque before the stock side exit tailpipe stopped eventually rotating downward (Ford Ranger).
    Also use them on the Mustang. No problems. The bolts are tighter than 35# for sure.
    From what i read, Bassini instructions call for 30-35 on their systems.
    Dont see how a little more torque will hurt anything like crushing pipe.

Of course, welding is another choice. Cant find a screw that lasts. Rivet might.
    I my case, the clamps are doing the job and system is solid on both vehicles.
    Have added extra hangers too. They get replaced as needed.
    So do the clamp's bolts/nuts before they get too rusty..
    Last edited by gr79; 06-30-2018 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks for the replies. I'll check the bolt orientation.
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

The tail pipe is notched every 90 degrees. I added a stainless shim strip between the clamp and the pipe, so now it is tight.
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

How was the fit with the Bassani exhaust? Are you happy with it? I was thinking of giving it a try. Also what do you think about the BBK ceramic shorties? Thanks!

I run 1 5/8 equal shorties on my 86GT. Had to take loose the passenger mount and jack the motor to get it in there. They are a pain with cats that require an air pump — there’s really nowhere for the line to go and that hose has to be totally rerouted.

Thanks ERRATIC. I'll let you know how mine go