Close

Default A/C in the trailer

Well guys and gals I finally finished my A/C project in the car(s) hauler, tomorrow and Friday will be the first test to see how well it works because it's suppose to be hot and humid especially Friday.

It took me about a week because I had to run a new 120v 15 amp outlet closer to where the unit will sit and that was no fun because I used a 12-2 wire and pull it through the inner and outer panels. Then I had to locate a good spot to cut a 5" hole in the inside and outside panels without hitting a vertical support brace, but I took my time and measured more than once to hit the sweet spot.

In the past year and a half I've fixed up the front of the trailer which has a 8x8 loft or storage area which now has a heated bed, TV and DVD player plus a barrier to isolate that area when or if it's used in the winter to hold in the heat, that's already been tested this past winter and it works well.

Down below in the front I have installed a compact refrig., toaster oven, and Micro wave. The only things left are a shower system and a toilet which I'll finish by early next year because I'm taking a break from spending money this year.

I'll let everyone know how the A/C works in the next couple of days. Later dudes and dudettes.

Pics!

We want Pics!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

I'm working on pics and/or video, hopefully coming soon.

Here's the first five.

Name:  IMG_2256.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  106.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_2257.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  115.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_2259.jpg
Size:  135.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_2261.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  70.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_2262.jpg
Size:  92.1 KB

Here's the next batch.

Name:  IMG_2264.jpg
Size:  86.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_2266.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  80.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_2269.jpg
Size:  62.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_2272.jpg
Size:  129.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_2278.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  116.2 KB

Nice!!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    Nice!!

Mike
    Thanks Mike. I'm still sorting out the A/C efficiency in the birthing area, it seems to take longer to cool down than the rest of the trailer. I'm trying something different as far as airflow goes so we'll see. It's running right now and the heat index is 107* so this will be a great test to see if I'm on the right track.

That is one sweet setup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is an awesome trailer. The Mustangs look good as well.

Awesome.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Thanks fellas, the picture of the ladder is something I fabbed up and after careful thought decided to mount it on the ceiling below the upper area. Also, there is a Mig welder in the left front corner, I found out I needed one after a I had a problem with the receiver hitch in Iowa a couple of years ago.

When it's fully loaded by my calculations it comes in at somewhere between 19000-20000 lbs. It's like pulling a sail, but I've managed to get 9.5 mpg out of the Super Duty if I cruise at 58 mph which seems to be the sweet spot, besides, it's foolish to travel any faster when your pulling that much weight.

Man i dont even have a lift in my garage and you have one in your trailer! Nice! Your own toy hauler.

Very Nice!

I honestly can't believe that is a bumper pull triple axle. Wow!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Very cool setup.
    House and garage on wheels.
    Excellent car combo. Perfect choice for top rack.
    Bed in loft great idea, looks motor home classy.
    Those Super Dutys are something else. Runs good? Heard newer diesels have EGT sensor issues.

Big truck stops have scales. May cost couple bucks but will know for sure how much is back there.

Lemme at this thing:

Now just where are those fire extinguishers? Smoke detector?
    https://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...0102290933.htm
    I add E-Track to all my pickup trucks. All kinds of very useful accessories are available, especially wood beam sockets, hooks.
    E-track can accept custom 'flower boxes' to hold those cans, bottles. They hold a lot of weight.

6' power strips for all the cords.
    Shelf for micro and toaster. Gain counter space.
    I imagine the shower would go where the compressor is now.
    Cones, jack, welder to the side floor, back of trailer.

A/C- maybe a temp snorkel duct to route cool air up to the loft.
    PVC pipe or something cheap. A fan can help push cool air up too.
    The loft fan helps circulation.
    Very hot outside here today.
    Am using 20" box fan near ac vent to boost and redirect cool air movement.
    There are sweet spots and combos for fans. Found one today.
    One fan is helping cool way better than 4 fans did yesterday.

Perfect spot for the a/c ele outlet and hose. Handy spot for an outlet. Or 3.
    Looks like the generator is outside under the counter area where the fridge is.

I like visiting RV dealers to get ideas. How they do things, then copy.
    Notice they use vents or roof mount ac.
    Of course, the heat is welcome in winter. Any roof/wall cuts are not.
    Prob going to need one somewhere with toilet/shower. Bathroom fan.
    White Kool-Seal elastomeric coating or similar on the roof seals seams, reflect heat.
    Cheap mobile home roof coatings are messy, crack, do not last.

A friend of family takes his trailer to the Woodward Dream Cruise every August.
    Ate many chicken dinners in it. Has similar front floor plan.
    Name:  WDC 2012 (19).jpg
Views: 72
Size:  123.4 KB

The dream is real, awesome toy hauler!

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Very cool setup.
    House and garage on wheels.
    Excellent car combo. Perfect choice for top rack.
    Bed in loft great idea, looks motor home classy.
    Those Super Dutys are something else. Runs good? Heard newer diesels have EGT sensor issues.

Big truck stops have scales. May cost couple bucks but will know for sure how much is back there.

Lemme at this thing:

Now just where are those fire extinguishers? Smoke detector?
    https://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...0102290933.htm
    I add E-Track to all my pickup trucks. All kinds of very useful accessories are available, especially wood beam sockets, hooks.
    E-track can accept custom 'flower boxes' to hold those cans, bottles. They hold a lot of weight.

6' power strips for all the cords.
    Shelf for micro and toaster. Gain counter space.
    I imagine the shower would go where the compressor is now.
    Cones, jack, welder to the side floor, back of trailer.

A/C- maybe a temp snorkel duct to route cool air up to the loft.
    PVC pipe or something cheap. A fan can help push cool air up too.
    The loft fan helps circulation.
    Very hot outside here today.
    Am using 20" box fan near ac vent to boost and redirect cool air movement.
    There are sweet spots and combos for fans. Found one today.
    One fan is helping cool way better than 4 fans did yesterday.

Perfect spot for the a/c ele outlet and hose. Handy spot for an outlet. Or 3.
    Looks like the generator is outside under the counter area where the fridge is.

I like visiting RV dealers to get ideas. How they do things, then copy.
    Notice they use vents or roof mount ac.
    Of course, the heat is welcome in winter. Any roof/wall cuts are not.
    Prob going to need one somewhere with toilet/shower. Bathroom fan.
    White Kool-Seal elastomeric coating or similar on the roof seals seams, reflect heat.
    Cheap mobile home roof coatings are messy, crack, do not last.

A friend of family takes his trailer to the Woodward Dream Cruise every August.
    Ate many chicken dinners in it. Has similar front floor plan.
    Name:  WDC 2012 (19).jpg
Views: 72
Size:  123.4 KB
    I'll try to address some of your helpful comments. To begin with there is a fire extinguisher mounted on the wall next to the access door, it just wasn't included in the photos. Next, if you look closely at the generator setup you should notice an angle iron and channel iron assy. mounted in the front of the generator, it's on hinges and swings out so the generator can be pulled out on the channel stock outside.

As far as the shower goes I'm thinking of getting a Base Cube heated water unit with a popup shower tent that will go outside in the warmer travel months. I think I'm going to install a carbon monoxide detector in the birthing area as a precaution.

The toilet will be a portable Thetford unit with a cassette that can be emptied. There are Salem vents mounted on the sides both front an rear for proper airflow through the trailer when traveling, the front ones are high and facing forward and rear ones are low and facing backwards, so there's a high pressure low pressure effect .

One more item to note is the tow vehicle is a 2008 6.4 diesel dually with almost 6000 miles on it. I ordered the trailer in June of 2007 and it took approx. 3 months to build and the dually was ordered to my specs in July, both units arrived on the same day although I hadn't planned it that way, btw the dually is a super cab. Lariat.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Very Nice!

I honestly can't believe that is a bumper pull triple axle. Wow!
    I'm happy I ordered it that way Trey, it gives me more room in the bed of the truck which is carpeted and I'm kinda anal about hacking up the area with a fifth wheel setup. If you'll notice the cars are winched in backwards so I can distribute the weight more evenly and transfer weight off of the tongue. When everything is set and adjusted properly it sits just about level front to rear.

Interesting info.
    Good idea with the generator.
    And specing a dually.

Had to ask about the truck. Family member is looking for a replacement for his 03 SD XLT 4wd Crew 6.0D
    Its gone. Fire. Truck went before its time. Was welding. (thus the fire ext comment).
    Been looking at '13 6.7 Lariat F-350 4wd crew. Dont like the DPF system issues that era has.
    Last edited by gr79; 07-01-2018 at 03:16 AM.

That's a great looking setup.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Wow! That is a really nice set-up... I have seen plenty of two car trailers, but mostly are just extra long. I really like the "stacking" idea.

Thanks for sharing.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Interesting info.
    Good idea with the generator.
    And specing a dually.

Had to ask about the truck. Family member is looking for a replacement for his 03 SD XLT 4wd Crew 6.0D
    Its gone. Fire. Truck went before its time. Was welding. (thus the fire ext comment).
    Been looking at '13 6.7 Lariat F-350 4wd crew. Dont like the DPF system issues that era has.
    You're right about the DPF issues, however with my setup because it's pulling so much weight it doesn't regenerate very often if at all because there's also passive regeneration which is a result of the load it's pulling. I just had my younger tech. that I worked with update the PCM with the latest programs, then on the way home, about 15 miles, it indicated it was regenerating which has never happened in nearly 6000 miles, I think it did it because of the update. Also, the truck is only used for towing, very little cruising around or running errands which has a big effect of the frequency of it going into regeneration mode.