Close

Default New crate motor, which one is overall good buy?

Putting a new motor in my 79 capri I am looking for advise on what crate motor is the better buy? Was thinking 400 hp engine for a street car , looking for complete drop in and go engine advise needed!!!!!

Are you looking at any brands/ builders currently? Are you looking to stay 302 or go bigger? Budget? How do you want to use the car (street/strip, cruiser, auto-x, track days)? A little more info will get you some great advice I'm sure.
    -Randy
    '83 Mustang GL notchback - 351w - T5Z
    '84 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Hatch #2808 - 302 - T5
    ''92 Mustang LX Hatch - 2.3t - IRS (in progress)

I have a couple other questions... are you looking to stay with a pushrod engine, or are other engines on the table? Also, what is your budget, that has the biggest affect on the direction you go, or how far you need to take the project.
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

We're definitely going to need to know your budget to give any advice at all. Are you looking for 400 hp at the wheels? If so you probably want to go bigger than a 302 unless you're interested in some kind of power adder.

But it all starts with the budget! If you want a turnkey 400 hp engine you probably need around $10k.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

FEP Senior Member

As mentioned, a budget number would be helpful. Also, any good 400hp engine build for a fox body vehicle starts with a set of quality and properly installed subframe connectors.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Looking a 347 crate motor I am putting in cobra rear suspension and new k member and all new parts for suspension , plus 5 lug hubs , a t5 tranny and new driveline looking to spend no more than 7k

Just a good street car with upgraded independent suspension

Looking a 347 crate motor I am putting in cobra rear suspension and new k member and all new parts for suspension , plus 5 lug hubs , a t5 tranny and new driveline looking to spend no more than 7k

EDIT POST***REPLY***REPLY WITH QUOTE**********

Today,*12:28 PM#7

Joe caetano*

New UserJoin Date

Just a good street car with upgraded independent suspension

EDIT POST***REPLY***REPLY WITH QUOTE**********

Quote Originally Posted by Joe caetano View Post
    Are you willing to spend $7k on the motor or is that the budget for all those upgrades? There's no way you'll get all that for $7k, in fact I think it'll be a challenge to find a turnkey 400 hp 347 without going over $7k. You probably would be able to put one together for that price but it would easily eat up all that $7k.

I don't want to discourage you but the money goes away faster than you can imagine. When I built my motor I was shocked to find it was over $7k total and I didn't even have high quality heads, which would have added another grand.

One other thing I can tell you from experience is that a T5 can last behind a 400 hp engine car that is street driven, but if you think you can beat on it and power shift it you'll soon find out what the inside of a T5 looks like.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

I'm willing to pay 5k for good engine the tol build is about 15 k unless u think my stock 302 can get add pans to increase hp

its a tall order. A good shortblock will cost $1800 after shipping. One that's had stuff done to it -- more like 3K. etc. Upgraded heads are required. Upgraded intake is required. Headers, exhaust, stronger transmission, better rear-end, rear control arms, etc.

also be careful what you ask for-- a 300 HP car with properly built out chassis will completely destroy a 400HP car that's stock everywhere else.

Heck, my 1986GT is mostly stock and I've made some very impressive cars look extremely stupid with it. Its still a lot of stock parts under the hood except for the cam, induction, and exhaust.

Save yourself a TON of money and do an insane amount of reading before do much of anything. The foxbody cars when stock will stand up to so much abuse its hard to imagine and if you modify them wrong, you'll barely get to drive it because you'll be stuck working on it all the time.
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

you can easily get 400 hp with a mild 351 build
    1986 GT T Top- stock except for magnaflow cat back
    1990 LX vert- 500hp V3 and all that stuff
    2013 GT- usual bolt ons

Quote Originally Posted by mikestang63 View Post
    you can easily get 400 hp with a mild 351 build
    Looking into that for my 85 notch.

https://lmr.com/products/Mustang-351w-Engine-Swap-Guide

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Anything stock block 302 based is a time bomb above 400hp. The blocks are weak. You can get 4 more cubes with a stock and stronger 351w. A lot of parts swap. You would mainly need swap headers, oil pan and a/c bracket if you're keeping a/c.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

or you could just keep what you have and go for 500+ hp and 600+ torque

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYu7irteuOU

1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.