Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

That doesnt seem to hateful considering the amout of labor involved.

FEP Super Member

Seems like a good price .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by jfruauff View Post
    Quote for skin swap, paint and all 1200 bucks. What you guys think. That's from the company that just painted car last year so should match pretty close.
    Honestly that sounds like a pretty good price IMHO. The front windshield has to be remove to do the job correctly. I personally remove the quarter glass too in order to protect them and prevent any damage from sparks, etc. The quarter glass can be shielded, protected and left in place, I just prefer to be safe rather than sorry.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yeah I don't see quarter glass for a foureye for sale hardly ever. So what's that say.

OK Ill tell them about the glass. I rather be safe then sorry especially for something that takes a whole 10 minutes to remove.

OK Ill tell them about the glass. I rather be safe then sorry especially for something that takes a whole 10 minutes to remove.
    Honestly they take more than that to remove and even more to re-install.

There are 3M products as well as others that can be taped on to protect the glass. As long as care and attention is taken the glass will be fine. Besides if for some reason they did break/crack/shatter/damage the glass that would be on the body shop and not you. There are quarter glass out there, but they just don't show up a lot due to many owners want to "upgrade" to the aero glass.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I personally like the glass/insert style. I said 10 min cause thats about how long it took me to take the glass out when I cut roof off.

I personally like the glass/insert style. I said 10 min cause thats about how long it took me to take the glass out when I cut roof off.
    If the interior is out of the car then, YES you can pull the glass out in no time. If you have to remove the interior to get to the glass that adds a lot more time. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote for skin swap, paint and all 1200 bucks. What you guys think. That's from the company that just painted car last year so should match pretty close.
    Sounds about right , if not a bit cheap!
    Last edited by foot2floor; 07-12-2018 at 10:02 AM.

Yeah I have known shop owner forever not sure if that helped with price. I had removed all the interior before taking car in.

Super excited to get her back. I seen it out front on Wed. with hatch and windshield out. When I dropped it off he said middle of next week.

If your still thinking about adding support under the roof, this might give you some ideas to work from (or ideas to totally reject ).

I fiddled with a piece of 1/2" rebar to get the curve just right and then tacked a little foot at each end which got welded to the metal lip/top rail of the body.
    (I don't know what to call it.)
    Name:  roof skel2.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  71.0 KB

See the spot area in the rear corner driver side ?
    The patch to repair the rusted out spot only went a couple of inches into the top of the roof, most was down the side.
    But the, working on the original spot deformed a little more of the roof and so on, and so on !!!
    Just like what Trey described could happen.
    Finally stopped and put in the support frame.
    Then decided to do the whole thing so I could brush my hand across the roof and not have it cave in.

Anyway, took strips of sheet metal and pounded a U shape channel down the center to make them rigid.
    Cut away the U groove at the ends so they would slip between the roof and the rebar.
    Then tacked the strips to the rebar. Nothing welded to the roof skin.
    Name:  roof skel4.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  94.7 KB

Name:  DSCN0370.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  63.4 KB

Turned out good so far.
    I mean, what's the worse that could happen ?
    Get in a crash and have a bent piece of rebar stab me in the head ?

(Hmmm... kevlar head liner...)
    Last edited by jessesandy; 07-15-2018 at 02:45 AM.

I'm am constantly amazed at the enginuity that the FEP members show on this website. Jessesandy, if you actually attach the v strips by tack weld or panel bonding adhesive I think that would be even better

New User

how did it turn out? i have a 86 hatch that i need to do a skin on. i cut a roof off of a 88 afew years back. just yesterday i found out the roof skins a slightly different in the side pinch area. the project has been on the back burner for a while. the side pinch weld area is slightly bigger and near the quarter window theres holes on the 87-93 where 86 older is smooth. just wondering how it turned out and if the trim up the a pillar and along the roof fit properly?

Picked this bad boy up this weekend. Local yard said I could remove and they give it to me for 80 bucks. 1 hr and a few cuts later. Just waiting to hear back from body guy about getting her on the car.

Attachment 121924

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12