Close

Default Interior color for 85 GT plastic pieces

While I have most of the interior out of my 85 GT for various repairs, I'm thinking I should just go ahead and paint the interior plastic parts to spruce them up. I have an HVLP paint gun and compressor, but have not painted interior plastic with it.

I've search the boards and can't find anything beyond the SEM spray cans. Does anyone have a brand and paint code I can use to order a pint/quart to spray my panels, dash, console parts? Do I need to get a dye or lacquer paint with a flattening agent? If one of our Fox Mustang suppliers sells the right stuff, I would be happy to purchase it.

Any help is appreciated.

Call Matt at Fox Resto. He can sell you a pint and it will cover EVERYTHING with half the can left. I'm guessing you have a gray interior. And if you have dark charcoal interior his paint mix is spot on for color match.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    Call Matt at Fox Resto. He can sell you a pint and it will cover EVERYTHING with half the can left. I'm guessing you have a gray interior. And if you have dark charcoal interior his paint mix is spot on for color match.
    This is perfect! Thanks!

Talked to the order person at Fox Resto. She wasn’t sure what they had, so I’ll try back later this week. Has anyone tried the SEM interior paint? Looks like I could get some mixed up locally and was wondering if anyone had done this and had a mix code. Thanks all.

I've used the can's,but not anything through a gun yet. I have a pint on the shelf, but it's just a basic landau black. I would search on here for the paint code for the color you need. This question has been asked a lot over the years, but I'm not sure on the grey colors.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

SEM paints are good and work well, I am not sure if they have the correct Gray for the Fox in larger quart cans or not.

You can also have your local paint supplier mix up the correct interior paint in the correct color if you choose. That is how I do all of my interiors. I personally don't like using the rattle cans as the color can vary from one to the other and the coverage per can is low compared to spraying out of a gun IMHO.

I don't know what Fox Resto is selling or the price, but definitely check with them and compare. Some interior color paint suppliers have jacked up their prices over the years, so the cost is higher now, but I don't recall spending more than about $50/quart for greys/blacks and I spent just over $100 for two quarts of Red for a 91 GT a year or so ago. Reds being the most expensive colors in general I wasn't too upset.

Generally most of interior colors are ready to spray, but verify that beforehand as that will affect how much you really need. I personally generally get 2 quarts sprayable for a hatchback in most cases. Yes, I have some left over, but I prefer that over coming up short. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks for all the insights. I think I’ll take an interior plastic piece with good color to get a match mixed up on Saturday. I’ll let you know what I come up with. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GT Town View Post
    Thanks for all the insights. I think I’ll take an interior plastic piece with good color to get a match mixed up on Saturday. I’ll let you know what I come up with. Thanks!
    That's what I have done in the past. You can often use a part that is molded in color and use the backside of the part. That will give you a good color that doesn't have any sun fade, dirt, etc. issues with the color. The front kick panels are another good option as they are molded and generally out of sun light most of the time. Oh, the rear shock covers in the rear quarter panel trim works too again using the underside as the color match. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Stopped by the KOI paint store this morning and ended up buying a can of the SEM graphite in the rattle can. I’ll see how that goes and may buy more. They are listed on the SEM website as being able to custom mix the interior quarts, but they said they haven’t done that in a few years. They have a DuPont interior paint that they custom mix but it’s $220 a quart. I’ll see how the rattle can works- if it’s close, it will do the trick for me. Thanks again all!

While I have most of the interior out of my 85 GT for various repairs, I'm thinking I should just go ahead and paint the interior plastic parts to spruce them up. I have an HVLP paint gun and compressor, but have not painted interior plastic with it.

I've search the boards and can't find anything beyond the SEM spray cans. Does anyone have a brand and paint code I can use to order a pint/quart to spray my panels, dash, console parts? Do I need to get a dye or lacquer paint with a flattening agent? If one of our Fox Mustang suppliers sells the right stuff, I would be happy to purchase it.

Any help is appreciated.
    I used SEM paint from LMR. The can said something about Svo dark grey but then the person I spoke with assured me it was right for my 85 GT. After spraying it I will say the quality of the paint was good. The color match was not good. Almost had a little purple tint to it. It's not noticeable to most people but for $50ish for 2 cans I was hoping for a more accurate match. Overall I'm content, it looks fine but what went from refreshing the hatch plastics probably will turn into more just to make it not contrast so badly.

FEP Member

Stopped by the KOI paint store this morning and ended up buying a can of the SEM graphite in the rattle can. I’ll see how that goes and may buy more. They are listed on the SEM website as being able to custom mix the interior quarts, but they said they haven’t done that in a few years. They have a DuPont interior paint that they custom mix but it’s $220 a quart. I’ll see how the rattle can works- if it’s close, it will do the trick for me. Thanks again all!
    how did this color match?getting ready to start my interior and really dont want to pay lmr 50 bucks for two cans that arent even the right color.