Close

Default Interval wipers continue running.

The interval wipers on my 83 Capri L continue to run after I turn off the wiper switch. They start with the switch like normal however, there is no delay in interval position and they are running at low speed just as they would on the low setting. When I switch the wiper switch to high, the wipers speeds up as expected and slow down when switched back to low. Switching back to interval I see no change from low and the wiper motor keeps running when the switch is moved to the off position. When I turn the ignition switch to the off position and then back to run, the wipers will move to the park position.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

I had this problem with my Mark VII. The wiper were acting crazy. I cleaned the wiper motor ground and the wiper motor wire connector. They worked fine for the rest of the time I owned the car.
    Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4bbl, 85 Mustang dizzy, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD & shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Mustang front & rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 TC struts & shocks, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, o/r H pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster, and 3.27s
    (86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold

I did a continuity test on the ground yesterday and it read good. I'll clean it just in case.
    Dave

1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

FEP Member

Twenty years or so back I had a similar problem on a Bronco II that was caused by a bad diode in a module under the dash. I replaced the diode and has worked ever since. It was a glass diode that was physically broken, no wizardly testing involved, and the circuit board was not potted. I don't remember how the module was marked.

For now I made a jumper harness so I can at least drive the car when it rains.
    Dave

1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4