Close

Default WTF (where the) do I get this convertible top roll pin?

So I heard something rattling around and found the arm disconnected. Apparently the pin broke since half is still in there and the other half is in the arm.

I googled and searched all over, but I can't find this pin. Where do you get this???

Btw all the pictures are rotated 90 degrees left. Posted on my phone so don't know how to fix it.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by 85stanggt; 06-23-2018 at 08:00 PM.
    1985 Mustang GT Convertible
    Stock and original @ 213k, except for dynomax ultraflos.

Drill it out and replace with a bolt and locknut maybe?

Thought about that, but the back side has almost no clearance for the arms as they pass while the top is going up and down.

I have given up looking for foureyes in the junkyard...even aero cars let alone convertibles. But I checked LKQ and there so happened to be TWO convertibles there -- an 87 and 92. A quick Google search didn't reveal any obvious differences between earlier and later convertible frames.

So off I went and found the pins I need. I took extras of others also just in case. For those in the future that need to replace these, there appear to be three styles of pins: some retained with a clip or cotter pin, others retained with a roll pin, and others that appear to be pressed into the frame (not sure they can be replaced). The one that broke on me is retained with a roll pin since there is no room on the back side for anything to stick out like a cotter pin.

So you take a 1/8" punch and bang the roll pin through and then the pin slips right out. Save the plastic bushings and washers. Slip the new one in and bang the roll pin back through to lock it in place.

Interestingly, the 87 that was in the yard had the same pin broken as mine, but on the passenger side. The previous owner replaced it with a bolt and giant washer and ground the top frame to make clearance for it.

Now I need to look up what to lubricate all of these pins with. It's probably never been done. I have some Silicone lube that doesn't pick up dirt, so that may be the ticket.

A buddy told me a 92 vert is at PNP here in St. Louis. I might go there just to get stuff like this.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

It's worth it because these are getting harder and harder to find. And there is zero aftermarket for stuff like this. I grab whatever small obscure stuff I can think of, like bolts, rubber bumpers, screws etc. This car even had a top motor with good looking hydraulic lines but I just don't have room for all this stuff.