Close

Default Back again. 85gt 4bbrl/5 speed. Novice interested in Alu heads

Well I’m back again. Been on FEP since about 2004 or so. But consider myself a engine novice. Needs some help w a decision about the long term future of my 85gt.

Long story short is I move to Europe because of my wife. Sold everything in Florida except the mustang. It’s been at my dads house since 2009 and hasn’t been driven much etc. Now the car is old enough to be registered here in Denmark as a classic and I’m wanting to import it so I can have a little American fun w my young son just like I did in the 90s with my dad in the very same car.

I get 1 shot to build it while in Florida and get the best out of her without running over my $8k budget before she ships out in a container from Miami.

The engine is basically stock. Still runs well with no serious issues. But I’d like to bump the power up a notch before she ships. Due to easy of understanding and my long distance build, Ive seriously considered the Edelbrock HCI power pack that available at summit etc for $2500. I know there’s different combos out there w AFR, GT40, TW that can produce high hp etc at the same cost. But I’m not engine savvy enough to piece it together while having my dad over see his ford mechanic buddy doing the install. It needs to be plug and play and planned down to the nuts and bolts so it’s ready in time with as few complications as possible.

What’s the verdict on this? Is it a waste of time and just an over priced brand name pile of metal? Or is it a legitimate option to run with?

My goal is 300 hp for the car that will be a weekend cruiser for my family. It’ll never see a track or be doing burnouts at the car get togethers. But it must be reliable and long lasting.

The car will also get new paint, wheels and tires, a new clutch and flywheel, brakes, and thorough interior clean.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the long story post. (That was the short version) lol.

What about the SVE 5.0 carbed/roller block kit? I know it’s an entry level kit. And entry level parts. It in all actuality I’ll be driving the car a few hundred miles a year.

Any experience with it.?
    Thanks
    Joe E

FEP Senior Member

Can you provide links to some of these kits?
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

Just my .02 worth, I buy a decent amount of stuff from LMR so I do like them and use them often. I am not a huge fan of much of their SVE stuff as most of the time its Chinese copies of someone else's parts. The heads are most likely the Chinese aluminum heads that are also available on Ebay, etc. Great price, but the parts that are used are subpar IMHO. Most buyers complain about valve guides wearing out prematurely, spring pressures are barely adequate, and overall you get what you pay for. Will they work, sure and if you don't beat on the car or put too many miles on it over the years they may do just fine. However if you do really drive the car and enjoy it, you may be rebuilding the heads and/or engine much sooner than expected.

Quality parts such as Ford Racing, Edelbrock, Trick Flow, etc. will all cost more $$ than the Chinese copies, but ultimately will last much longer and generally perform better. 300 HP is not a crazy number for a SBF depending on what you mean. Is that 300HP at the crank or 300HP at the rear wheels as you are more like 340-360HP at the crank for that. Either way the car will be fun and enjoyable.

Unfortunately Edelbrock doesn't seem to offer a Top End Kit for the Roller Cam engines with a Carb, but you could copy this kit https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...xoC4oAQAvD_BwE but swap in a comparable roller camshaft for your engine and do the same basic package.

The same goes for Trick Flow too, https://www.trickflow.com/parts/tfs-k514-360350b just delete the EFI Intake Manifold and substitute your carburetor intake of choice and you are ready to go again.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Edelbrock Performer 1.90” 170cc heads with 60cc combustion chamber or a similarly designed AFR165 would be my go-to. Twisted Wedge if you have flat top pistons with no valve reliefs (such as 1986)

Pick emissions or not based upon your requirements.

Edelbrock intake. Airgap if emissions are not required, Performer if it is.

Equal shorty or long tube headers— 1 5/8” with 2 1/2” collectors

A stock HO cam with 1.7:1 rockers will get you near 400HP at the crank from a 302.

If you want more, get a flow tech custom cam.

what I’m talking about is the basic design of what I’ve always intended to build. Currently I’m following this exact script, except with a balanced and blueprinted 331 stroker as the base.

good luck

easiest way to hit your goal is a Zex kit.
    1986 GT T Top- stock except for magnaflow cat back
    1990 LX vert- 500hp V3 and all that stuff
    2013 GT- usual bolt ons

thanks for the replies gentlemen. Ive been reading and chatting w the tech help at summit etc but still haven't got many hard answers on what will work. even conflicting info from Edelbrock and Summit lol.

so Im leaning to what wraithracting mentioned above. Taking the Edelbrock setup and making a list of all the number in that top end kit. Then changing out the cam with a roller cam and roller rockers that are close to stock.

or doing what erratic50 said and finding the proper AFR heads for a mild build, with the Edelbrock air gap intake, a set of headers, and some 1.7 rockers with the stock cam. I've heard very good things about the AFRs.

Trickflow is little more extreme both performance and cash wise. would be fun tho.

question about the stock cam and 1.7 rockers tho. Firstly, can the stock cam with the stock 85 flat top pistons w reliefs clear a 1.7 rocker set w these AFR heads?
    And secondly, all aluminum heads from Edelbrock and AFR etc are set up for stud mounted rockers right? i can see on CJ Pony Parts website that AFR has a 58cc head with pedestal or stud mount. part number AFR-1472 and 1402. is that referring to the rockers or how the head itself is mounted to the block?