Close

Default SVO Outer light removal

I'm guessing accessing the outer light is through the wheel well with the inner liner removed? What is the chance the nuts will come off of a 34 yr old light without breaking plastic? I've been putting off the job to avoid hearing the crunching of old plastic.
    Last edited by rodster; 06-20-2018 at 09:58 PM.

FEP Power Member

If you are talking about the SVO outer light, I believe there are some nuts you can reach going up behind the bumpe4 cover and in front of the fender liner. It’s been awhile since I have been in the svo..
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Yea, SVO.

Would like to get nice and close to it so I can soak it in some penetrating oil.

Depending on what all you need to do, sometimes I have found it easier to remove the entire front bumper cover assembly from the car. That allows you to flip it over on a stand and get to all the hardware holding the lights in place. Yes, more work, but may save you from breaking the lights on the SVO and you know how difficult used ones and even good used ones are to find. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Power Member

Looks like just 2 studs. Here is a picture from eBay.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Yes there are only 2 studs for the outer lens, the issue is usually one of two things. Either the studs back out of the plastic housing and you have to use a pair of vice grips to remove it from the actual header support. The other is the nut is corroded on the stud and you end up snapping the stud off in the housing or breaking the housing while trying to remove. That was the reason why I suggest sometimes removing the whole front cover and lights and then flipping it over to work on it. It allows you to get a better view of what's going on and also allows you to get directly at the hardware.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

You can get to them without removing the bumper cover. Just be careful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Yes there are only 2 studs for the outer lens, the issue is usually one of two things. Either the studs back out of the plastic housing and you have to use a pair of vice grips to remove it from the actual header support. The other is the nut is corroded on the stud and you end up snapping the stud off in the housing or breaking the housing while trying to remove. That was the reason why I suggest sometimes removing the whole front cover and lights and then flipping it over to work on it. It allows you to get a better view of what's going on and also allows you to get directly at the hardware.
    You are making me feel much better.

Maybe I'm wrong but the outer lights on an SVO don't look to be part of the bumper cover so even with the cover off I don't think the nuts are any more accessible??

For now my milk bottle 'lens' is doing the job.

Quote Originally Posted by endub View Post
    You can get to them without removing the bumper cover. Just be careful.

For now I'm avoiding but when I tackle it, I'll be careful, very careful!
    Last edited by rodster; 06-21-2018 at 10:28 PM.

FEP Senior Member

Yep, you just have the two. Spray the crap out of them with penetrating oil. You might need to heat them a bit too. Be careful because they bolt right up to the headlight panel. Just go slow, 1/4 of a turn then back and ease them out. The lamp will need to be moved around a bit to clear the bumper cover.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

Quote Originally Posted by rodster View Post
    You are making me feel much better.

Maybe I'm wrong but the outer lights on an SVO don't look to be part of the bumper cover so even with the cover off I don't think the nuts are any more accessible??

For now my milk bottle 'lens' is doing the job.

For now I'm avoiding but when I tackle it, I'll be careful, very careful!
    Sorry I wasn't trying to be doom and gloom, just making you aware of the issues with these lights. My recommendation was to remove the entire cover and header panel as a unit since removal of the bumper cover from the header panel requires drilling out rivets, they are essentially once part at this point in time on the car. If you removed the front bumper cover assembly Then you would have full access to the backside of the lamps and have a better chance of preventing breakage or damage. Yes it is a bit more work, but if you are truly concerned with damaging the lamps then I do recommend it.

You can apply plenty of penetrating oil to the studs before hand and then attempt to remove them while still on the car. If they act like they are going to break or strip out, then you may reconsider the bumper cover removal. I also recommend a 50/50 mixture Acetone/Transmission Fluid as a penetrating oil. Generally cheaper than most off the shelf brands and works really well. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE'SVO86 View Post
    Yep, you just have the two. Spray the crap out of them with penetrating oil. You might need to heat them a bit too. Be careful because they bolt right up to the headlight panel. Just go slow, 1/4 of a turn then back and ease them out. The lamp will need to be moved around a bit to clear the bumper cover.
    Thanks Mike. Plan A.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Sorry I wasn't trying to be doom and gloom, just making you aware of the issues with these lights. My recommendation was to remove the entire cover and header panel as a unit since removal of the bumper cover from the header panel requires drilling out rivets, they are essentially once part at this point in time on the car. If you removed the front bumper cover assembly Then you would have full access to the backside of the lamps and have a better chance of preventing breakage or damage. Yes it is a bit more work, but if you are truly concerned with damaging the lamps then I do recommend it.

You can apply plenty of penetrating oil to the studs before hand and then attempt to remove them while still on the car. If they act like they are going to break or strip out, then you may reconsider the bumper cover removal. I also recommend a 50/50 mixture Acetone/Transmission Fluid as a penetrating oil. Generally cheaper than most off the shelf brands and works really well. Good Luck!
    Fully understand, I've been around this stuff for awhile and appreciate your advice and warnings. Just found it 'funny' how I could see both of those possible outcomes all to clear.

Oh, front bumper cover assembly, gotcha. Definitely will look into it. Didn't realize the assembly could be removed as one piece.

Got some of the 50/50 mixture on my workbench.

Thanks again....
    Last edited by rodster; 06-22-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Trey has a good point Rod. It might be more time consuming but safer in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    Trey has a good point Rod. It might be more time consuming but safer in the end.
    Yep, very valid point and I will certainly consider it. I have to see what is involved but for now I'm having more fun driving it.