Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Brembo Cobra Pads

I came across this guy selling some NOS Brembo brake pads for the Cobra 13" front brakes. I am guessing these are pretty old and I can find precious little information on them. From what I can tell the part number is 07.8300.25 Just curious if anyone has any feedback on these. The only info I can find says they stop well on the street and create a lot of dust. Not much else. These would be going on my wagon which will only see street duty.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

So are they just aftermarket Brembo pads, or are they supposed to be NOS Ford parts made by Brembo? I would be kind of surprised if Brembo made the OEM pads for the PBR calipers, but I could be wrong.

With that said, there are dozens of pad options out there for the PBRs, and I'm sure some of those stop well on the street without making a lot of dust. Unless the NOS Brembo pads are being offered at an exceptionally low price, I'd be inclined to go with something else.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

So are they just aftermarket Brembo pads, or are they supposed to be NOS Ford parts made by Brembo? I would be kind of surprised if Brembo made the OEM pads for the PBR calipers, but I could be wrong.

With that said, there are dozens of pad options out there for the PBRs, and I'm sure some of those stop well on the street without making a lot of dust. Unless the NOS Brembo pads are being offered at an exceptionally low price, I'd be inclined to go with something else.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

FEP Senior Member

They are aftermarket Brembo pads. I know they fit several other vehicles aside from the Cobra as well. They are about 1/3 the price of a set of Hawk HPS pads so they are pretty cheap. I'm not afraid to spend money on good pads, but I love digging up good deals on stuff. This seemed like it had potential. Also, I will be running steel wheels with poverty caps, so brake dust isn't a real big concern.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

That sounds like a pretty reasonable price, can't hurt to give 'em a shot for that sort of money. I was afraid these were some sort of NOS Ford parts that were $$$.

The good Cobra rotors were made by Brembo. The 1994-1998 Cobra rotors are actually shaped totally different and were made by a company called KVH but are interchangeable with the 1999-2004 rotor. There were so many complaints about the KVH rotor warping, SVT went to Brembo. They also increased the piston size in the caliper. (we're all aware that the '94-98 had smaller pistons, in the same caliper right?) The calipers as mentioned were PBR. All the Ford SVT brochures back in the day spell it out in plain language. However, they don't say who made the pads. But since the rotors and calipers were clearly not sourced from the same source I'd say it's not a big leap to suggest that they might be Brembo. It's very easy to spot a TRUE OEM pad. ALL aftermarket pads just have a bare metal center in the steel retainer clip that you see through the two holes in the calipers.

If he has an OEM pad, the center of the retainer holes won't be bare metal. I like the OEM pads because of that and no squeal plus the no rusty metal through the holes look in the caliper. I had the Hawk pads at one point and they aren't really dusty but sure are noisy. Also tried the Performance Friction pad and let's talk about NOISE!!!!!

Also if anyone cares, these pads and calipers were first used years earlier on a performance suspension Corvette and also the rare Camaro 1LE "police" package from the same era. Go to Rock Auto and search for brakes for a 1LE 1989 Z28 and look at the pictures. You will go HMMMM... How about that? If you can find those cheaper, buy them. Right now they are $17 for a set for the Camaro. Same pad and caliper. However, Chevy just let their pads get rusty just like all the aftermarkets. Only Ford was concerned about appearance of a brake pad. I don't know how easy it will be to see here but this is an original Cobra pad. Go look at any aftermarket and you will see just a rivet and bare metal here.

Last edited by homer302; 06-27-2018 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    I had the Hawk pads at one point and they aren't really dusty but sure are noisy. Also tried the Performance Friction pad and let's talk about NOISE!!!!!
    You are aware that Hawk and PF both make lots of different compounds, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    Yep. I just don't have interest in purchasing 5 or 6 sets until I find the quiet one??? Better things to do.
    Thanks for your service.

The 1993-1998 Mustang Cobra front rotors were made by Kelsey-Hayes.

The 1993-2004 front pads were not made by Brembo.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    Yep. I just don't have interest in purchasing 5 or 6 sets until I find the quiet one??? Better things to do.
    My point is that providing a negative product review on a forum isn't useful to anyone if you don't specify what product you were using.