Close

Default correct parts? (fan clutch/ brake disks) 79 Turbo

Hi everybody

just two quick questions. Sorry but I didn't find anything via the search function.
    I have to order parts for my 1979 2.3 Turbo Mustang and want to order them as soon as possible so that I can drive again...
    I need two brake disks and a manual fan clutch because mine are completly wasted.
    I have to ship them to Germany therefore I want to make sure that I order the right parts. Because I can't really return them because of shipping costs.
    I wanted to order the brake disks from Rockauto. They have two versions which both appear to be the correct ones. Am I right or did anybody have some mayor issues with them?
    The other thing is the fan clutch. For the 79 2.3 Turbo Rockauto only has the electric fan. Does anybody know if the thermal fan clutch of a 79 I6 or V8 also fits? Because Rockauto has these. They look a bit different than the one that is currently installed...

Thank you very much!

OK I found out that I should need the 9,3" disk breaks...
    So the remaining question is what type of fan clutch do I need?
    Does anyone know that?

Thanks a lot.

I have the 9.3" on mine. With V8 calipers from factory.
    The 79 V8 had 10" rotors. Am upgrading soon. But i live near a NPD store, so exch is no problem.
    Pretty sure 10" will fit with no changes other than V8 pads. Turbo pads should work too.
    Have not checked caliper clearance, but again i already have V8 calipers.
    Later year 4cyl show 10".
    From what i gathered, 79 V8-V6-4cyl brake parts fit on 79 spindle.
    Hoses, pads, caliper, rotor combos different but fit. Bearings are the same.

Cant help too much on fan. car is non-ac. Came with no-clutch steel 4 blade. Noisy bugger.
    Upgraded that long ago to Ford factory steel 5 blade flex fan. Think it was a factory V6 fan.
    Measured it at 16" dia, fan shroud is 18" inside dia.
    Rock auto shows replacement V6-V8 is 18" dia.
    They look like steel. Others are plastic with more blades.

Every listing i check shows electric fans with 4cyl. Wrong.
    Will check more out later today. NAPA, o'really. For interchanges. They all cant be wrong.

Rock auto shows V6 and v8 clutches interchange.
    Hard to tell if yours is the correct one! Maybe someone could not find correct one either.
    Two versions. CCW and CW fan rotation. Serpentine or v-belt driven.
    Pretty sure all fans have std bolt pattern.
    Non clutch fans have spacers to locate fan correctly in shroud tunnel.
    Belt fans used in approx 79-82.
    AZ also has no listing for 79 turbo fan clutch.

thank you so much for all the information...
    would be great to upgrade to the bigger ones but I am pretty sure that everything is still stock on mine so just to be sure that the parts fit I will get the 9,3" ones.

Yes it is pretty annoying that for these cars many listings on parts websites are completly wrong or not there at all...

Mine is also a non ac car and the van is v-belt driven. I have no idea if it is still the original fan clutch.
    But I also saw that the I6 and V8 clutches are all the same so I would assume that they fit all engines because the function of it is the same doesn't matter what engine and why should they build different parts for the same job...right?

would just be really annoying when I order the part and it doesn't fit but maybe I will just risk it... want to drive the car again...

Many parts interchanged back then, even among brands. Kept cost down for all.
    Not nowadays.

Not fond of clutch fans. Hard to work on.
    Non a/c apps almost never used them back then.
    Maybe it was replaced due to low heater output in winter?

Sometime could convert to straight non clutch mechanical fan with spacer if same radiator shroud as mine.

Pic. One of the very first things changed out after buying car in 1980.
    Pretty sure is a factory 79 V6 fan. Did buy from Ford dealer new.
    Prob a part number on it somewhere.
    Sets in the same location in the shroud (f-r) as the original, as i reused the oem spacer from the 4 blade.
    Engine never gets hot. Temp stays low end of normal. Never gets 1/2 way.
    They work all the time and make engine sound different. A little more roar.
    Spacer behind mine measures 2"

Attachment 121713

I also wouldn't mind switching over to a non clutch mechanical fan... less parts that can fail.
    Your fanshoroud looks like mine so it should fit as well.

The problem is I didn't see one on Rockauto and if I buy my brake disks there I also want to buy the fan clutch or fan assembly there so that I just have to pay shipping once. Because it is always quite expensive...

I guess I will have to try the fan clutch and hope it fits and if not I might have too look around more and place a second order...

Dont forget save 5% with the RockAuto discount coupon code for June. New ones every month.

Future options:
    Found under 1970's Ford 6 cyl listings:
    Hayden 3567 just short of 17" dia,

17" would prob work. 16" offers bit more clearance insurance in case shroud or engine moves.
    16"
    https://www.summitracing.com/search/...1&N=4294949139

When clutch fan hits or drags on shroud, slows or stops fan.
    Had that happen to my Ranger. Temp went up to 220 sometimes when driving slow. Usually 190.
    Shroud was moving, stopping the clutch fan.
    Bad cab mounts dropped the front end of cab just enough. Strange but true.
    That is one advantage of clutch. Did not cause damage. Did see rub marks on the fan tips.
    Disadvantage was the silent malfunction.

Lots switch mech to clutch type or electric to gain a little hp.

Perfect thank you again for all your help.

If I would go with the mechanical fan I would also need the spacer and it would get more expensive especially because of shipping...

I will now order one fan clutch for the I6 because they are not too expensive and see if it fits and if not I will go with the mechanical fan and buy a spacer and everything... But I hope I do not need to

Thanks for the reminder regarding the coupon. I totally forgot about that...

Just an update if anyone wants to know...
    The brake rotors fit and have been installed.

The fan clutch however did not fit. I just unistalled it and there is also no part number on there so therefore I think I will now go over to an electric fan so I do not rob more power of the little four banger with a fixed fan.
    While taking of the old fan I found out that my waterpump makes bad noises and my alternator pulley wiggles a bit so I will replace them both as well.
    The standard replacement alternator has 60 amps. Should be enough to power everything factory and the new electric fan right?

Sorry I have one more question regarding electric fan installation and thermostats...
    The stock thermostats opens at 195°F should the fan start at 205°F than because it will cut out at 10 degrees lower and I think both should be above the thermostat opening point right?
    It seems a bit high to me. Or should I go with a 180°F thermostat and let the fans kick in around 190°F or 195°F? i know that running a lower Thermostat can make Problems especially with FI engines but I do not know what this carbed turbo engine prefers...
    Sorry for all these stupid questions but I have no experience so far...
    Thank you!