Close

Thread: Dying Dash

Default Dying Dash

Thought I would share some pictures of my dash pad and parts I painted this weekend. The parts are for my 85 SSP coupe that has a Regatta Blue interior. I first painted them with interior paint I bought from LMR. The dash pad was originally grey from a parts car and the glove box was blue but needed a repaint. They looked bluish while I was painting them. But once in the car it looked like blue/slate grey not good but better than what is was. Then I was on the NPD website and noticed there interior paint was SEM brand. I had a few seatbelt covers to paint. Well the results where night and day. So I bought a few more cans and re sprayed everything. So you can see the glove box door in the LMR paint before I repainted it with the NPD paint, compared to the dash pad repainted in the NPD paint. I am not bashing LMR I know it is hard to match colors for interiors. With different materials, textures, and fading. The dash pad was in horrible shape before I painted it the color was almost baked off of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Ford 5.0; 06-18-2018 at 07:45 PM.

Their sand beige was dead to rights on my parts.. Maybe it's the dash material that's causing the paint to look different, I know it's more rubberized than say the plastic seatbelt sleeves? Did you clean it and scuff it and primer it throroughly?
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

I have heard of people using other colors from LMR and where happy with them. I followed the directions they had online. For the dash pad I cleaned it with grey scotchbrite and dawn, then I used the primer. For the glove box I cleaned it the same as the dash pad, then wiped it with denatured alcohol. With both paints each part due to the difference in material looked a little different.
    Last edited by Ford 5.0; 06-18-2018 at 02:40 PM.

I did a grey console using LMR paint years ago and it came out good. But I think they used SEM paint back then.
    Last edited by Ford 5.0; 06-18-2018 at 03:15 PM.

FEP Power Member

Sem bumper trim paint is a good match to the interior. I don’t know that I had a reason to try that color yet. I think the only gray part I painted was many years ago using the factory Ford paint.

The Sem tan worked great on my 85 dash but scrapes off on the seat belt sleeves. I do have some special mix laquer (Omni) from one of the suppliers that worked well on other plastics.

I did recently buy some red vinyl dye (Sem custom) from NPD for my 67 Tbird dash pad. The stuff worked well. I had a spare 84 interior kick panel and it covered and matched that very well too. It was pretty flat on the sheen.

Regardless who makes or sells the paint, it should be a fairly close match to what it is advertised for. If you were expecting gray, then they messed up.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

KevinK after reading your post I just realized I never said what color the interior is. The cars interior is Regatta Blue. So the LMR stuff came out more grey than blue. If I held it up against grey it does look a bit blue. But no comparison to the NPD paint. I actually got another can from LMR thinking it was a bad lot or just the wrong color but it was the same as the first can. The NPD did come in 2 different sheens I picked the glossier of the two. Even the NPD is not a perfect match for Regatta Blue but looks good for now. If I redo the entire interior there is a local place that I think custom mixes SEM paint.
    Last edited by Ford 5.0; 06-18-2018 at 10:09 PM.

In my experience the LMR stuff they sell now is just not right. Coverage has been poor and the color match is generally "OFF". I buy a decent amount of stuff from LMR, but I won't buy any paint products going forward.

I used the NPD stuff for a 91 GT I had and the color match was very good and coverage was excellent for a red IMHO.

I personally prefer to respray the entire interior when restoring or even just refreshing a Four Eyed as most of the interior parts didn't match all that well from the factory. The reason being that different pieces are manufactured in different materials and most were molded in color and some were sprayed. All this adds up to color mismatches from the factory and therefore I would rather spray everything in one color and be done with it than deal with the mismatch. I generally will order interior paint from my paint supplier and just spray everything with a spray gun rather than deal with multiple rattle cans. Yes, the cost is a bit higher but the results are well worth the cost and effort. You can have the color mixed in SEM, Dupont, PPG, and most any major brand. Sometimes you may have to use an existing piece to color match too as some suppliers may not have the correct mix by interior code for our vehicles. Best of Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

My long term plan was to hopefully redo the whole interior with a spray gun. Just doing some quick clean up for now. Here is a pic of the dash pad I took out. The dash hull is cracked and I have another to put in when the time comes. The dash hull also had some kind of white/clear staining on it in a few spots and somebody painted around the radio opening with a bright blue paint. So I also painted the hull in the car just to clean it up. The dash pad actually has some cracks around the face but cost me nothing and was way better than the pad that was in the car.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Ford 5.0; 06-18-2018 at 10:13 PM.