Close

Default Losing Reverse in 1986 Automatic V6

Took the wife's car for a spin last week and the car could barely back up. I drove it for 10 or so miles and tried to back it into a parking spot but it just wouldn't go. No specific noises or anything, just wouldn't go.

Follow up a few days later and I'm able to back it out of the driveway but its definitely struggling to do so. No grinding noise but more of a humming sound. Kind of weird.

I have a few days off coming up next week and want to try to diagnose what the issue is. Any tips would be appreciated. Once that's done I can finally get those rear quarter windows working again! Thanks in advance.

Check trans fluid level for starters. Also, does it smell burnt or like Jerky?

Trans fluid is good, no smell, and not jerky at all. Just really weak in going into reverse. I'll do some more diagnosis this weekend but truth be told, I'm not real smart on transmissions.

Search out the lost art of how to adjust the bands of your C5 transmission.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    Search out the lost art of how to adjust the bands of your C5 transmission.
    I'll give it a good google search. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tiretread View Post
    I'll give it a good google search. Thanks.
    The Haynes manual for these cars and C-series transmissions says the following:

"1. Because of normal band wear, automatic transmission bands require adjustment at approximately 24,000 mile intervals. Bands should also be adjusted whenever performance-related symptoms are noted. Normal wear can cause sluggish shifts, delayed shifts, slipping and, in extreme cases, a loss of drive.
    2. Raise the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands.

Intermediate (front) band

3. The intermediate or front band is used to hold the sun gear stationary to produce Second gear. If it is not correctly adjusted, there will be noticeable slip during the First-to-Second gear shift or on the downshift from the Third-to-Second gear. The first symptoms of these problems will be very sluggish shifts.
    4. To adjust the intermediate band, loosen, remove and discard (personally, I have never removed and discarded) the locknut on the band adjustment screw (located on the left-hand side of the case (near the shifter lever)). Tighten the adjusting screw to 120 in-lbs (10 ft-lbs), then loosen it exactly 1-1/2 turns (1980 and earlier C3), 2 turns (1981 and later C3), 1-3/4 turns (C4), or 4-1/4 turns (C5). Install a new locknut and tighten it to 40 ft-lbs while holding the adjustment screw to keep it from turning.

Low and Reverse band
    5. The Low and Reverse band is operational when the selector lever is placed in the Low or Reverse positions. If it is not correctly adjusted, there will be no (or diminished) drive with the selector lever in Reverse (also associated with no engine braking with the selector lever in Low).
    6. To adjust the band, remove the adjusting screw locknut (again, I have never removed and discarded the nut) from the screw (located on the right-hand side of the case, at the rear) and discard it. Tighten the adjusting screw to 120 in-lbs (10 ft-lbs), then loosen it exactly three turns. Install a new locknut and tighten it securely while holding the adjusting screw to keep it from turning."

A procedure I have followed, using tightening the screws to "snug" as opposed to trying to get a torque wrench with a large flat head screwdriver bit (or the screw head is a square) into the areas, with a number of cars with very good working transmissions after doing so...
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 07-12-2018 at 10:39 AM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

^^^Much appreciated.

Haven't had time to dig into this yet as I've been completing a disc brake conversion on my 75 CJ5. It is next on my to do list though.

Broken or worn reverse/low band. Those C5 transmission are made of glass.

Well, I adjusted the bands. No love. Guess I'll get it rebuilt or shop around. What would you folks do in my situation? Thans.