Close

FEP Member

Default What happened to my brakes?

Have never had this car on the road for more than a few miles here and there for a year and a half now.my brakes seemed fine.then all of a sudden the pedal went to the floor.i filled it today with dot 3 and still going to the floor.i haven’t really got under it and inspected it yet,but I don’t see a drop of brake fluid anywhere?it was down real low in the resovoir.

Hey Matt, when my wife bought me my 85 a year and a half ago, my brakes were not working good, so I went from wheel to wheel starting at the rear right and bled them, found out that the rears weren't even working, I replaced my old nasty looking fluid with the new synthetic and brakes worke a 100% better. I hope this helps.

Brant

FEP Power Member

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-to-my-brakes
    Look behind the brake drums or even pull the drum off. Often the wheel cylinders will leak. Pull the rubber boot back and if it’s wet, they are done. Also the master cylinder can leak where it attaches to the brake booster. If you see the paint bubbling up on the booster, it’s been leaking.

Rarely, sometimes the master cyclinder will leak by after sitting. It usually means it will happen again.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

If you have nothing and brake pedal goes to the floor it can be a failed master cyl.

FEP Member

Thanks guys!! I will start checking things next weekend.atleast a master cylinder is fairly cheap.would you guys buy one from lmr?

Quote Originally Posted by kfxmatt View Post
    Thanks guys!! I will start checking things next weekend.atleast a master cylinder is fairly cheap.would you guys buy one from lmr?
    It could be several things, but if you don't see any brake fluid on the ground then the odds are your Master Cylinder is bad and is leaking into the booster. If that is the case, then you will want to swap both of them out. When you remove the MC you will find brake fluid leaking out of the back of it and and the front of the booster.

Personally I would buy my MC and Booster either from the local auto parts store or Rock Auto if you want a specific brand. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Member

I ended buying a new master cylinder.bench bled it and bled my front brakes and I have brakes again. they seem a little touchy,but they are working.thanks for the advise fella's

Sweet! Going fast is great, but being able to stop is even better!

Brant