Close

Default DIY electric fan controller

After researching fan controllers, I’ve decided against spending 200 bucks on one. So I went to the junk yard, and pulled a temp switch out of a mid 90’s BMW, which was located on the pass side of the radiator. I also pulled a 2 spd fan relay out of a mid 90’s Volvo which is located under the pass side headlight. Then I tapped my thermostat housing to accept the temp switch, which is a 14mm x 1.5. Follow along as I attempt to get this baby working. Name:  3AE5D567-8FCB-4C0D-A246-F4B92FC3F1D2.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  113.3 KBName:  7CEEC0FF-45FC-47FA-B27F-4FF59C914CB9.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  83.3 KBName:  128087C6-206B-4F79-9D3D-E1A65CAF0445.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  80.8 KB

Nice -- what fans do you plan to run?

Sorry, this is for my 2 spd Mark Vlll fan.

I did this same thing for my '84 capri. I used the fan from the same volvo I got the relays from. Since the volvo fan can removed from its shroud I was able to mount it inside my stock shroud. It works great, just wire it so it turns off with the ignition otherwise it will continue to run and run your battery down.

I personally would put the switch where the stock gauge sender is, and move the gauge send to the thermostat housing, otherwise this will not read the correct temperature when the thermostat is closed. Nice find though.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

I run the Contour dual fans with two of the Volvo fan controllers, one for each fan, and the BMW temp switch in the radiator where the drain valve was.
    Wired constant hot, works great. It shuts off after about 30 seconds or less after the car is turned off.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by Ourobos View Post
    I personally would put the switch where the stock gauge sender is, and move the gauge send to the thermostat housing, otherwise this will not read the correct temperature when the thermostat is closed. Nice find though.
    This is where all the confusion sets in. I see all these switches that they tell you to mount it on an intake bolt, or the head. My thought was I’m monitoring the coolant temp coming out of the engine, and when it reaches a certain point, the fan kicks on. Has anyone had success in the t stat housing?

Only real difference is you can monitor the temperature BEFORE the thermostat opens - the temperature inside the engine.. If the thermostat sticks closed, you'll never know it by the gauge.... It'll read ambient temperature..
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe