Close

Default MUSTANG CLUB OF AMERICA NATIONAL SHOW, Lincoln, NE July 13-15 Pics

Compared to the show in Kansas City last year, this one was rather disappointing in regards to the quantity, not the quality of cars. There were considerably less Foxes here. To put it in perspective, there were almost more 4-eyes (16) at the KC show than there were total Foxes (20) in Lincoln. Out of those 20, only 4 were 4-eyes.

Even with the small number, I figure I will share the scenes of the show.

Here's the 4-eyes:

Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Here are the Aeros:

Brock

I'd park any of them in my driveway.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Thanks Brock for taking, and posting, the pics.

I enjoyed visiting with you. Always good to catch up with fellow FEPers.

As usual, MCA shows often bring "the best of the best." Beyond our beloved Fox Bodies, there was a freshly restored Royal Maroon Boss 429. It was spectacular. It sat in a row of Boss 429's and Boss 302's. A few million bucks in that lineup.

The variability in car counts is not unusual. Sometimes lots of a given year/model, other times not, even allowing that this show was 150 +/- cars smaller than KC. Where it gets interesting is when there are more cars than expected, and fewer judges than expected.....
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Thanks for sharing the pictures. The cars look great. I wonder if that solid blue aero GT is the one that was chopped back in the late 80's or early 90's? I remember seeing one in the magazines back then.

Quote Originally Posted by fascat View Post
    Thanks for sharing the pictures. The cars look great. I wonder if that solid blue aero GT is the one that was chopped back in the late 80's or early 90's? I remember seeing one in the magazines back then.
    Yes it is. It was in a few magazines after it was done in the mid90’s and it’s somewhat of a local legend here in Nebraska. The car was built by Doug Kilian, Paul and Kenny Brown. Doug did all the custom body work and chopped the top, while Paul and Kenny did all the go fast mods. Doug did all the paint and bodywork for the Brown brothers during their racing days.

I have wanted to see that car since I first saw pics of it in my teenage years and it didn’t disappoint even after waiting 22 years.
    Brock

I believe that both of the Unrestored class cars and all 3 of the Concours cars all took Gold. I lost track once they got to the driver & modified classes....

12k mile 93.
    953 mile Burgundy 89 next to it.

1986 Saleen #145
    now 50k miles - still 98% original.

I'm all for helping the helpless, but I don't give a rat's ass about the clueless anymore.

Previous: 79 Cobra, 82 GT, 83 GT, 85 Twister, 85.5 SVO, 86 GT, 87 GT, 91 Saleen, etc....

In case anyone is interested, here's the rest of the chop tops photos. It's had a well lived life. Not so much a magazine car anymore but it still screams 90's.

Brock

Quote Originally Posted by 1986Saleen View Post
    I believe that both of the Unrestored class cars and all 3 of the Concours cars all took Gold. I lost track once they got to the driver & modified classes....

12k mile 93.
    953 mile Burgundy 89 next to it.

Both of those cars were showroom fresh. I forgot what a new fox looked like until I looked at those ones. Man those brought back some good childhood memories.
    Brock

Awesome pics Brock. Thanks for posting!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Real nice pics!!!! Thanks for posting

Thanks Brock!

I saw the choptop within days of it being completed shortly before it did the magazine shoot. It really takes a trained eye to begin to comprehend all of the modifications that are actually there on the car.

For example -- go back up and look at those headlights. I mean really look at them. They are NOT Mustang headlights!

Now let your eyes wonder and look at the car again. Yep-- you missed a lot.

Being a really tall guy I never completely "got" the whole chopping the top thing primarily because it makes a Mustang so I cannot drive it. I will say though that it is cool. For those who are less tall I can see it.

Any time to lower the center of gravity of a car that much and widen the stance that much, the handling characteristics will vastly improve.

Imagine running a 19 x 13" rim on a foxbody back in the 90's. That car had them out back. If I remember correctly it was 19 x 10.5 or 11 in front too. The wheels were ordered as wide as possible then sent out to be cut apart, widened another 3 inches, and put back together!

Knowing and seeing stuff like that was the ONLY benefit to the amount of time my 1986 spent in the body shop due to break-ins and thefts back in the 90's. You never really want to be on a first name basis with your body and paint or your upholstery guy unless they are your buddy from years back, etc....

Brock, it was good to meet you there and chat. Thanks for posting all of the pics. Also good to meet Bob with the super clean 86 Saleen above. Bob from TN ... really great to see you again after leaving TX. I met a lot of other great folks in MCA. Don't think that MCA is just about concours restored cars ... these folks have a lot of passion for all kinds of Mustangs and cars in general.

I was on the Occasionally/Daily Driven judging team for the first time. The first car that we judged was this fantastic 70 Mach I ... with a few minor changes really could have been in Concours. Left to right: Jake (our judging coach), me, Eric (an experienced judge, but new to OD/DD), Ashley (a local newbie judge), the car's owner (didn't write down his name), and Jeff (a local newbie judge).

Name:  IMG-2331.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  174.9 KB

We also got to visit the Museum of American Speed, a hidden gem. Part museum, part machine shop/restoration for obscure racing engines. It's hard to describe, you just have to see it. Imagine a wall full of flathead intakes, no two alike.

Name:  IMG-6268.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  132.7 KBName:  IMG-6269.jpg
Size:  124.3 KBName:  IMG-6276.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  119.0 KBName:  IMG-6272.jpg
Size:  84.9 KB
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library