Close

Default Made Some Prgress on the Cobra this month

So I have had my 80 Cobra for over a year and made vary little progress until this month. A local group is putting on benefit for a man in our area and a friend convinced me that we could get my car ready in time for the show. Not really in my plans...but why not right? :-)

When I got the Cobra it had a 351 in it and I was never satisfied with it. I wanted to put a 302 that I have had for a while in it. Also, some one had rattled canned the engine bay black at some point, and I wanted it color matched to the body, so off went the hood and we got down to business. Here are the before and after pics.

Name:  engine_bay_before.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  109.2 KB

Name:  engine_bay_after.jpg
Size:  156.7 KB

Next was the wheel situation. When I got the car, it had 10 hole wheels and itty bitty tires. I am not a particular fan of 10 holes, so I started searching and landed on 10th Anniversary Cobra wheels from LMR. We put on 87-93 brakes and spindles (man those original rotors were small!), and ordered the wheels.

Name:  wheels_before.jpg
Size:  210.5 KB

Name:  wheels_after.jpg
Size:  96.7 KB

I still have quite a bit to do to this car, but I am please with how it is turning out. Thanks for looking!
    1980 Cobra
    Chamois Glow
    Caramel Interior
    T-5 with X-Kit

Holy cow! That is an amazing transformation! Love the body color in the engine bay!

Did you use a single stage paint system or a base/clear? It really looks stunning!

Wow, looks fantastic!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Hey GT Town...the engine bay is a single stage recommended by the local paint shop. We sprayed it ourselves and I am quite pleased with how it turned out. There were a few areas where the metallics kind of pooled a little heavy, but we just bolted stuff over those areas. lol
    1980 Cobra
    Chamois Glow
    Caramel Interior
    T-5 with X-Kit

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Wow, looks fantastic!
    Thanks, Zephyr!!
    1980 Cobra
    Chamois Glow
    Caramel Interior
    T-5 with X-Kit

FEP Supporter

Looks great! I think you did the right thing changing the engine out and repainting the engine bay. What were people thinking back in the day?

The wheels aren't my favorites but it's your car and beauty is in the eye of the beholder Regardless the car is stunning and sure a unique example! Too bad it didn't have the Recaro interior. That would be icing on the cake

Wow! That looks great. I really like how the engine and engine bay turned out. Great Job!