Close



Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    FEP Super Member Blainer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Medicine Hat, Alberta,Canada
    Posts
    2,680

    Default TRX package on my 82 GL. What are the suspension differences with TRX package.

    Looking for all the differences for the TRX handling package. I might be going with a different wheel. Either reproduction yes or another route. The tirerack says the 15 inch and an sprints wont work because of the hub.

    Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
    -Currently the proud owner of a ONE owner 1982 GL Mustang with 5.0,4speed and ttops. Only 107,500 original kms

  2. #2

    Default

    AFAIK they had the same size wimpy front rotors and rear drums as the 87-93 4 banger cars and the 80-86 cars. 79’s early on were smaller yet.

    I suggest Ultimate 4 lug brake upgrade thread......

  3. #3
    FEP Super Member Blainer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Medicine Hat, Alberta,Canada
    Posts
    2,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    AFAIK they had the same size wimpy front rotors and rear drums as the 87-93 4 banger cars and the 80-86 cars. 79s early on were smaller yet.

    I suggest Ultimate 4 lug brake upgrade thread......
    I'm trying to keep the car close to original with maybe a change in wheels.

    Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
    -Currently the proud owner of a ONE owner 1982 GL Mustang with 5.0,4speed and ttops. Only 107,500 original kms

  4. #4

    Default

    The thread has some discussion on what wheels work..... but pretty much if wheels fit an 87-93 4-banger car they will fit.

    Brake upgrades can mandate larger wheels. Stock brakes accommodate 14 and larger wheels

    center cap vs front brake rotor is always a fun topic. Most of the 4 lug stuff and some of the 5 lug stuff was built to accommodate the front rotor design.

    What are you looking at - maybe we can solve it together.

  5. #5
    FEP Super Member Blainer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Medicine Hat, Alberta,Canada
    Posts
    2,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    The thread has some discussion on what wheels work..... but pretty much if wheels fit an 87-93 4-banger car they will fit.

    Brake upgrades can mandate larger wheels. Stock brakes accommodate 14 and larger wheels

    center cap vs front brake rotor is always a fun topic. Most of the 4 lug stuff and some of the 5 lug stuff was built to accommodate the front rotor design.

    What are you looking at - maybe we can solve it together.
    The tirerack, for instance, says the 15 inch Ansen sprint wheels won't fit due to the TRX package on the hub yet I've seen a few of these wheels on both 4 eye and aero cars. I also have come across the front control arm bushings are somehow different with the TRX handling package because I need to replace mine.

    Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Blainer; 06-05-2018 at 06:48 AM.
    -Currently the proud owner of a ONE owner 1982 GL Mustang with 5.0,4speed and ttops. Only 107,500 original kms

  6. #6

    Default

    springs
    shock valving
    stabilizer bar

    Those were all different between TR suspension versus Handling Suspension versus neither
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

    FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

    Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

  7. #7
    FEP Super Member sowaxeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    3,338

    Default

    Not sure why they would say 15" won't fit. I think the hubs and rotors are the same across the board? I have had 14" standard GT wheels on my '82GT (TRX car), as well as a set of 15" Ten Holes...and currently have the 16" TRX reproductions. If you are looking to get away from the metrics, why not go with the LMR 16" reproduction TRX's for the stock look, but better tire options?
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

    '82 GT Med. Red - 14k Mile Orig. Survivor
    '85 GT Black - 16k Mile Orig. Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2016 Best Original 79-86)
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '92 LX 5.0 Calypso - 10k Mile Orig. Survivor (Sold @ Foxtoberfest...2017 Best Original 87-93)
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,700 Mile Original Survivor
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey - 16k miles @ counting.

  8. #8
    FEP Super Member gr79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    3,210

    Default

    Of course, metric TRX tires will not fit Ansens or any other 15" rim.
    No mention of that.

    My guess is the center cap fit. The small, narrow taper at end.
    Common issue back in the day with a lot of aftermarket rims.
    Caps installed from back of rim thru the rim center hub.
    Problem: Not enough clearance between rotor 'nose' and rim center hub for it to fit.
    Or center cap was not tall/deep enough to fit all the way down over rotor center hub 'nose'.
    Lots of cars with used rims ran without them in front. No fit, or lost and no replacements.

    American Racing site shows a larger more squared off center cap on 5 bolt Anson Sprint.
    http://www.americanracing.com/wheel/...9-ansen-sprint

    Tire Rack site says the Ansens fit a 73 Mustang.
    A 77 Mustang II also has the TRX disclaimer. The II never had TRX.

    Rim wise, what Tire Rack says TRX have to do with anything is not clear.
    TRX interchange with std Ford 4 bolt rims. Nothing interferes.
    There is no special hub spec for TRX. Rotors and drums are the same.
    If the rims wont fit TRX cars, they wont fit the others either.

  9. #9
    FEP Super Member Blainer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Medicine Hat, Alberta,Canada
    Posts
    2,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Of course, metric TRX tires will not fit Ansens or any other 15" rim.
    No mention of that.

    My guess is the center cap fit. The small, narrow taper at end.
    Common issue back in the day with a lot of aftermarket rims.
    Caps installed from back of rim thru the rim center hub.
    Problem: Not enough clearance between rotor 'nose' and rim center hub for it to fit.
    Or center cap was not tall/deep enough to fit all the way down over rotor center hub 'nose'.
    Lots of cars with used rims ran without them in front. No fit, or lost and no replacements.

    American Racing site shows a larger more squared off center cap on 5 bolt Anson Sprint.
    http://www.americanracing.com/wheel/...9-ansen-sprint

    Tire Rack site says the Ansens fit a 73 Mustang.
    A 77 Mustang II also has the TRX disclaimer. The II never had TRX.

    Rim wise, what Tire Rack says TRX have to do with anything is not clear.
    TRX interchange with std Ford 4 bolt rims. Nothing interferes.
    There is no special hub spec for TRX. Rotors and drums are the same.
    If the rims wont fit TRX cars, they wont fit the others either.
    That's my Guess too. I had to put a chamfer on the hub lip when I did the 5 lug on my 83 ttop coupe to fit 03/04 Mach 1 wheels. But I recal seeing the Ansens on that daytona mustang. I'm better just to wait for the TRX replicas to go back into stock at LMR. Any one wanny tackle the bushing difference now on the control arms on the front?

    Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
    -Currently the proud owner of a ONE owner 1982 GL Mustang with 5.0,4speed and ttops. Only 107,500 original kms

  10. #10
    FEP Super Member Blainer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Medicine Hat, Alberta,Canada
    Posts
    2,680

    Default

    Does anyone have a picture of the "heavy duty susprnsion" on the control arm?

    Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
    -Currently the proud owner of a ONE owner 1982 GL Mustang with 5.0,4speed and ttops. Only 107,500 original kms

  11. #11
    FEP Super Member gr79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    3,210

    Default

    The Daytona may show up again at the FWHQ show this Sunday in Dearborn.
    That is one place i have seen it several times.
    The color and rims look great on it.
    May be able to find info on the rims and fit. Will take closeup pic of caps.
    Other cars may also have the rims or similar.

    Roush is having another open house Thurs. if anyone need a pic of something.

    Have Ford Motorsport M-3075A lower ft control arms now on car.
    There is a little metal reinf plate welded on the back side of those arms.
    The 79 stock flcas did not have the plates. Car came with TRX package.
    Last edited by gr79; 06-05-2018 at 10:53 PM.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    The Daytona may show up again at the FWHQ show this Sunday in Dearborn.
    That is one place i have seen it several times.
    The color and rims look great on it.
    May be able to find info on the rims and fit. Will take closeup pic of caps.
    Other cars may also have the rims or similar.

    Roush is having another open house Thurs. if anyone need a pic of something.

    Have Ford Motorsport M-3075A lower ft control arms now on car.
    There is a little metal reinf plate welded on the back side of those arms.
    The 79 stock flcas did not have the plates. Car came with TRX package.
    My bushings and ball joints are on their way out. I might just change both control arms.

    Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    FEP Super Member gr79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    3,210

    Default

    Yah its not hard. Best done as the whole unit.
    Costs more, but cuts job time at least in half.
    With planning, tools, parts, ideal work conditions, was an all day job.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •