Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Nice job on the door speakers

Any updates????/
    93 Blk/Blk Mustang Cobra #1133 SBF with Twins 76's
    86 Black Gt Droptop

Haven't worked on it in a while. Mostly because of work and kids but also because I have not convinced myself I want to cut the doors.

Matthew

Hi all,

This thread is amazing!

I didn't see a link to download the 3d modeling files...Are they uploaded somewhere on the site? I'm new around here, sorry if a little clueless, please just drop a URL if they're available.

TIA

-a

Quote Originally Posted by 86FOX4EYE View Post
    I did. Complete models. CAD, drawing and WinISD. I will try to get something up this weekend.

Attachment 121439

Quote Originally Posted by ajstein64 View Post
    Hi all,

This thread is amazing!

I didn't see a link to download the 3d modeling files...Are they uploaded somewhere on the site? I'm new around here, sorry if a little clueless, please just drop a URL if they're available.

TIA

-a

Here is a pdf of the part dimensions I did when I built the box. Its a little rough but there should be enough info in this thread along with the pdf to get you started. There is a pic on the first page of this thread of how the parts go together. There is also a link to the driver.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My son and I decided to mess around with his stereo.

Heís been running a sealed rear fire 12 in a box we designed for a Chrysler Sebring convertible about 4 years ago. It sounded amazing in the Sebring but there box is not at all right for a Mustang.

the box was a pretty complex design. When we built it we did a thin box up under the top for the needed space and intersected it with a second box thatís tall enough and deep enough to just squeeze a 12 into. It worked wonders and the dual chamber box design gave us two pitches with a solid bump from resonance and some nice smooth slopes. Very musical and threw down hard when pushed

When thereís too much box and not enough distance to fire it into the typical gains you see from a truck space quickly becomes loss ó and lots of it. Was shockingly quiet knowing what that box did in the Sebring

With that in mind we threw a high end Kicker 8 into an old Realistic enclosure I had laying around. I figured it would work out to be a good size for the 8. We plugged the port and played with it some but in the trunk that box is a bit too big to run sealed with that sub. It did well ported

We did so many different orientations and found a few when we removed the spare that were great. Way more sound that the 12Ē. Next I started playing with orientations that would allow a spare and the top to go down. What ended up working best was surprising. The sub had to be fired at an angle off a board at the back of the car and the side of the box had to be parallel with the trunk lid. 1 degree off either way and we lost about 60% of our output.

The most shocking part is it now also sounds great with the top down which is rare in a convertible

Definately wonít win an install quality contest how it is but itís a lot more enjoyable and takes up less that 1/2 the space the 12 took in the trunk
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by erratic50; 05-22-2020 at 03:27 AM.

For the most part bass frequencies from 100 Hz down are omnidirectional. This is not new information. However, when placing bass speakers in a room or a closed space like a trunk or the cab of a vehicle the position and orientation of the speaker can become critical because of room gain (or in this case cabin gain). It is nice to see someone actually taking the time to get it right.

Nice job.
    Matthew

It looks like crap but we are getting more output at the tones that matter than we ever got out of the 12 in that limited space.

Whats interesting is this is the first time I’ve heard a stereo in a Mustang where the bass isn’t louder if you lean forward. Would be interesting to actually model out the path the waves are taking on their way to the listener because whatever it is, it’s clearly hitting a sweet spot on wave repeats.

We started to ponder what we could do to squeeze a 12 in and fire it basically the same way. A challenging install for sure when we’ve only got such a small area to work with. The 12 would undoubtedly have to lean forward drastically to even sit there. The springs for the trunk lid and the glass for the top both create major challenges. The setup there right now JUST fits. A hinge spring clips the box as it goes by but it doesn’t hang up

There’s only 1/4” of clearance between the top’s glass and the box

The angles it’s sitting at is pretty nuts. I found it by opening the trunk with the stereo turned up and moving the sub around until I could feel a major increase in sound waves on my arms and I could hear a broad range of notes more clearly. Had to use wedges and other stuff to keep it there and close the lid to test it

now a suite case or a laundry basket will actually go in the trunk where as before there wasn’t room for anything. I call that a win

Thats not to say we won’t eventually build a new thin box similar to the one featured in this thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12