Close

Default SEFI Engine Issues: What Would You Do?

Okay, so I got my car all put back together, went to fire up the engine, and a couple of problems came up.

First, there is coolant in the throttle body. Am I crazy or is the EGR spacer the ONLY place this could be coming from? I'm not thinking that clearly about it yet, but I accidentally forgot to reattach the cold air hose from the MAF. It couldn't be sucking coolant up into the TB from farther down somehow could it?!

Second, I have a BAD fuel leak at the #1 injector. I've replaced the o-rings probably 2 or 3 times now on this damn thing. It's leading me to believe something else is causing this. Like maybe the fuel rail is bent or cracked or maybe the injector is cracked. My instinct is to fix it overkill style and replace the rail and injector. BUT, stock fuel rails are apparently not available new. Performance fuel rails are rather expensive and require some kind of remote regulator or something. Most kits, all you get is the logs. I'd get those and be like "oooookay, now what?". The BBK kit is significantly cheaper and comes with everything you need, but it oddly uses clamp-on hoses. WTF? I thought EFI pressures were too high for that kind of set-up? Anyway, if I go with a used stock one, I run the risk of having the same problem.

As for injectors, what if i can't find the same style? (EV1, etc). Can you mix styles?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    It's leading me to believe something else is causing this. Like maybe the fuel rail is bent or cracked or maybe the injector is cracked.
    I had a cracked injector on my 1986 Corvette leak fuel in the way you are describing. I would carefully inspect the injector and the fuel rail for a bur that could damage the o-ring.

Thanks, I will definitely take a closer look at that.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Move the injector to a different cylinder and see if the leak stays or moves. Then you'll have a better idea of the cause.

^ agreed. And you can use the newer pencil style injectors, they actually have a better spray pattern.

On the EGR spacer, do you still have the lines from the lower intake running to it?
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Ourobos View Post
    ^ agreed. And you can use the newer pencil style injectors, they actually have a better spray pattern.

On the EGR spacer, do you still have the lines from the lower intake running to it?
    Good idea, I'll try that!

Yes, the coolant lines are still going to it.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I would think either your EGR spacer gaskets aren't making a good seal or it's cracked.

Did you paint your lower intake manifold? I did and had a leak which turned out to be a peeling paint issue where the o-ring seals the injector in the lower manifold.
    Project "WinBacK" 1986 LX Hatchback
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

Dammit, that spacer had better not be cracked. That's the part of that whole mess I bought brand new. I can see that being a possibility though.

I did paint the lower intake. I seem to recall stuffing rags in the injector bores when I did, but that's something worth looking at.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Damn, I was just looking at new 24# injectors and they are NOT cheap!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I pulled the throttle body and EGR spacer off today. I don't think the spacer is cracked, and the gasket between it and the throttle body disintegrated as I pulled the throttle body off. I sure hope that's all it is. I'm going to pull the upper intake off (which is a PITA with the engine moved back, and the stupid strut tower brace), and investigate the fuel leak mess.

It annoys me because I did NOTHING with this project I did over the course of time since the car last ran that should have disturbed that gasket. It just decided to fail for no reason.

I ordered new throttle body/EGR spacer gasket set. Apparently BBK is the ONLY option unless you want to buy a set that includes a bunch of other stuff. I'm wary of the BBK set because it says it's for either 65mm OR 70mm. That leads me to believe it may not have as much contact as it could. I decided to order an Explorer throttle body gasket too. I'll compare them and use which ever one will work better.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 06-05-2018 at 04:05 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

If you have a pick and pull near you, Taurus' around 2000 model year, and dohc, have 24# injectors. They'll be blue. The early ones use ev1 injectors. Later in the 2ks, they go to ev8. My lt1 had horrible factory injectors that didn't work from sitting too long. Put these taurus ones in and it fired right up. Only problem is you have to find 2 cars.

That's a great tip, but unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time for junkyard crawling.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I seem to remember something like the 5.8L E series and F series trucks or the 7.5L trucks engines using 24’s. Maybe I’m mistaken?!

I have a set of 24’s plus some extras but if memory serves they are EV6 and require the EV1 to EV6 adapter plugs which I only have one set of.

I’ve been planning on tossing a 93 Cobra ECU in my 1986GT along with my 24’s to actually cure my lean condition at high RPM that’s caused by a 70MM cobra MAF paired with an A9L and 19’s.

Make the old rust bucket run right, maybe it won’t smoke as much.....

For now i just jacked up the fuel pressure a little to help and it’s rich everywhere but WOT — of course. Starts like a pig rich bitch too.....

Yeah, i think you're right about that too with the 7.5s. I ran across that info in my various searches. Rockauto has them reman for not that much, so I think that's the route I'll take.

I'm curious to see how you're making those changes will work out. In theory, it should be the perfect solution!

I took the fuel rail out today. I don't see any evidence of anything one way or the other. Injector looks fine... I guess I'll just go with my previous idea, take the overkill approach, and replace both the rail and the injector. And roll the dice with a used rail.

The only thing noteworthy was that the rail mounting holes in the fuel rail brackets were all lined up so that the holes in the intake were towards the bottom EXCEPT the one in the problem area. That one was towards the top, as if the rail was sitting lower there. I would think that would be a good thing. Don't know. Whatever...
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    Move the injector to a different cylinder and see if the leak stays or moves. Then you'll have a better idea of the cause.
    Did you try this Brad?

Mike

Dangit, no, i forgot. I'll try that tomorrow.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, well. I moved the #1 injector to the #3 spot and vice versa. The leak stayed in the #1 spot, so I would say we are looking at a fuel rail. It's definitely at the top of the injector too, so it has nothing to do with the intake. I'm thinking I'll swap rails when the "new" one arrives and then maybe just keep the reman injector that's also on its way as a spare.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST