Close

Thread: Sway Bars

Default Sway Bars

The info I find floating out there on the net is a bit confusing and contradicting, so I thought I would ask here. I'm looking into stiffer sway bars. Im looking at this set at the moment, seems to be a good value https://www.americanmuscle.com/srper...-kit-7993.html

My current combo, though as of yet unfinished, is mach 1 springs (appx. 600# front, 250# rear) koni str.t shocks and struts on an 83 GT.

To me my stock rear sway bar (12.7mm) seems ridiculously small, whereas the 85-93 stock ones were almost double at 21mm. The front seems to be more reasonable at 1 1/8. The 93 Cobras came with the same size front bar, albeit with the beefier later rear bar.

First I read the sway bar works in concert with your springs to control body roll, That adding much larger sway bars essentially makes it as if you had really heavy springs.

Secondly I read that sway bars should be used to tune under-steer or over-steer out.

Thanks!

(Also this was my 500th post!)
    Tony

Generally there are two theories on suspension. One is to run the highest spring rates you can tolerate to limit body roll and fine tune with sway bars. The other theory is to run a softer springs that absorbs the bumps, dips, etc. and run larger sway bars to minimize the body roll. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

The big question is what do you plan to use the car for 90% of the time or the majority of the time. 600lb front springs are not excessive, but you will definitely have a very firm ride. The rear 250lb springs are reasonable, but not too stiff, but can cause a rough ride depending on your rear control arm setup.

What struts and shocks are you running? Are they matched to your spring rates?
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    What struts and shocks are you running? Are they matched to your spring rates?
    Koni Str.ts

I think (hope) that they match, but pairing damper rates with spring weights is something that I dont yet understand fully.
    Last edited by flinfantryrebel; 06-01-2018 at 09:15 AM.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by flinfantryrebel View Post
    Koni Str.ts

I think (hope) that they match, but pairing damper rates with spring weights is something that I dont yet understand fully.
    I believe you are fine with that setup. What are your plans for the car?
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

It'll mainly for weekend fun and auto cross. I want to get the car as well handling as I can on my budget though, I love the twisties. I'm fixing to do the panhard bar in a few months when I have the cash, and hopefully the torque arm shortly thereafter.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by flinfantryrebel View Post
    It'll mainly for weekend fun and auto cross. I want to get the car as well handling as I can on my budget though, I love the twisties. I'm fixing to do the panhard bar in a few months when I have the cash, and hopefully the torque arm shortly thereafter.
    I get it. Then I would consider going with the largest stock sway bars you can get your hands on. The OEM 1 5/16" (1.31") up front should be enough to start with. The stock V8/GT 86-93 rear bar at 0.83" should work for your needs to start out with.

Also keep in mind that once you add the Torque Arm setup you will need to increase your rear spring rate.

I personally would recommend you save the $$ on the aftermarket sway bars and consider adding the MM adjustable rear bar setup at some point in time. That will give you better tuneability and its a much better setup than the stock mounting. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

+1 on the MM rear sway bar. The stock bar causes terrible rear suspension bind.

Afaik - 93CobraR had 800 lb front, Stock GT rear spring with large front bar and rear GT bar

93Cobra had stock GT front springs, smaller front sway, 4cyl LX rear, smaller rear sway.