Close

Thread: Big Brake kits

Default Big Brake kits

Hi All!

Ive been thinking about future brake upgrades lately, and was looking at these two. They are both 13 inch rotors with a 4 piston caliper.
    Does anyone have any experience with the 2000 Cobra R type brakes, or the similar Baer set up?

https://www.americanmuscle.com/bremb...0-cobra-r.html

https://lmr.com/item/BB-4261276R/mus...4-red-4261276r

I'm wondering how much more braking force they would provide over the regular Cobra brakes.

Opinions on whether the extra braking force of a 14 inch kit would be overkill on a fox?
    Tony

Either system will work just fine. Both the Brembo and the Baer Calipers are quality products and will be a huge improvement over the stock setup.

The real question is what do you plan to do with the upgraded brakes? If just regular street driving then either are fine. If you are considering auto X, road racing, etc. then you might want to consider the Baer setup as I have heard guys having some difficulty getting new seal kits for the Brembo calipers over the years. I have no experience with that since I don't have the Brembos, but I have seen discussions on Corner-Carvers about that. And YES, you will need to rebuild the calipers over time if running them hard as the intense heat will melt the dust shields and the seals in the caliper body.

Personally I am not a fan of drilled rotors for the average street car or even most raced vehicles either. They all lead to cracking and often in short time. The slots work just fine, especially on the street and have a longer life time in my experience. If racing then you should be checking and servicing your brakes more often so there's more safety in finding a cracked rotor due to more frequent inspections than most street cars get.

In regards to braking force over the standard Cobra brakes, not sure that you will really notice much difference. The rotor diameters are the same so the leverage force is essentially the same. The 4 pistons compared to 2 generally provides more equal pad wear and less chance of wearing one side of the rotor due to 2 pistons only being on one side of the caliper. You may be able to get a bit more force to the pads, but if the M/C is the same then the actual hydraulic force to the caliper is the same just distributed more equally. If you were switching from Cobra to the Cobra R setup you might feel the difference, but doubt you will see any actual measurable difference in stopping distance.

14" kits are cool if you want some HUGE brakes, but again it depends on what you are using the car for. If all out racing and you need the additional diameter of a 14" rotor that is one thing, but otherwise not sure that an average Fox especially street driven will see any major improvements. Also you will have to run a minimum of an 18" wheel with a 14" rotor rather than a 17" with the 13". Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

First off thanks for the info!

My intended usage in mainly spirited rural road driving on a weekend fun car, with occasional autocross thrown in. At this point I care less about power and more about corner carving and braking ability. I am somewhat of an extremist so I tend to choose the heavy duty parts at the expense of ride quality.

Hmm, the cobra set up might just be the biggest bang for the buck. like 500 for new/remanufactured kit vs 1400 for the 00Rs.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by flinfantryrebel View Post
    First off thanks for the info!

My intended usage in mainly spirited rural road driving on a weekend fun car, with occasional autocross thrown in. At this point I care less about power and more about corner carving and braking ability. I am somewhat of an extremist so I tend to choose the heavy duty parts at the expense of ride quality.

Hmm, the cobra set up might just be the biggest bang for the buck. like 500 for new/remanufactured kit vs 1400 for the 00Rs.
    No problem. I took like a car with big powerful brakes, so I understand and there's nothing wrong with buying quality parts or even heavy duty extreme parts. Just wanted to try and help you understand your options and what others might be out there too.

I have a set of the 03/04 Cobra brakes with the IRS on my 79 PC and its a blast to drive in the Mountains and around corners. Needs more power, but that will have to wait for now.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller