Close

Default "My Fox Body Rides So Stiff!"

I'm not saying mine does, it doesn't. I'm more talking about hearing people talk about this. I always have to wonder. It's almost ALWAYS preceded by "I put lowering springs on it and... ". You do realize you don't HAVE to put lowering springs on it, right? And even if you do, you don't have to SLAM it as low as you possibly can and get CRAZY stiff shocks. That is not a requirement of Fox Body ownership! No, no! BAD Fox Body owner! Are you going to drive this car on the street AT ALL?! You're going to regret that decision! There are all sorts of bad decisions you can make that might help you a bit at the drag strip or road course but will punish you far more on the street!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUW67kDyVdA

This guy complains about his wheel choice making his turning radius huge. So, if you don't like how your car functions with your current wheels, GET DIFFERENT WHEELS! I've learned you can make some decisions purely for good function on the street, and it doesn't kill you!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Zephyr,
    How dare you suggest that 100% of fox owners not slam their car to the ground! Everyone knows that's the first thing you do, because no one wants their fox looking "like a truck"!

Well, that's the argument I always hear, anyway. Here in WV, it's hard to drive a lowered car. Don't get me wrong, lots of people still do it...but they're also the ones always complaining about roads, potholes, and suspension/tire/wheel damage. To me, lowered cars seem sorta "ricer". I may lower my pace car soon, but it'll be the first one I've lowered, and I'm definitely not "slamming" it.

Stock height Foxes are about as common as Harleys with mufflers.

Mike

Hmmmm.

I was checking mine now that it's on the ground again and I sorta though the rear looked a little low compared to the front. I like the idea of proportional wheel arch clearance around the tire.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

Yeah, I agree that too low is ricey looking.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I just put a bunch of tools in the trunk and leave the old worn out struts up front. Launches like a drag can and everyone thinks my rear springs are sagging.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Out of curiosity, will ALL lowering springs on the market result in an ultra stiff ride? I'm considering buying a set of performance springs and was curious as to how rough the ride will be. My suspension is toast- so I'm in the process of replacing everything. I like the aggressive stance, but not if it will be unbearable to drive. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GT Town View Post
    Out of curiosity, will ALL lowering springs on the market result in an ultra stiff ride? I'm considering buying a set of performance springs and was curious as to how rough the ride will be. My suspension is toast- so I'm in the process of replacing everything. I like the aggressive stance, but not if it will be unbearable to drive. Thanks!
    I'm running LMR's SR 1.5" lowering spring with Monroe OE Spectrum (Sensatrac) shocks and struts. I also rebuilt the rear suspension with rubber bushings in the factory uppers and SVE lower control arms. The front I did new ball joints, tie rods, Energy Suspension poly swaybar links and rebuilt the front control arms with Energy Suspension poly.

There is just a slight difference in ride quality as opposed to stock, but it is by no means even close to harsh. It is actually quite comfortable and improved the handling a ton.

I drove it 2,500 miles round trip to Foxtoberfest last year and never once did the ride bother me or try to beat the snot out of me.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 05-31-2018 at 12:32 PM.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by GT Town View Post
    Brock

Yeah, you just have to be smart about what you buy. If your car is not going to be spending most of its life on a road course, you don't need the ULTRA MEGA RACE XTREME parts many companies offer. For example, I went with H&R springs, who offers a few options. I went with the base Sport ones. I did the same with Tokico dampeners. Their HP line is primarily for the street. Yes, the H&R springs do lower the car a bit, but it rides really well. And like Brock mentioned, rubber bushings are your friend! Don't judge the original ones too severely, they are probably worn out. Just replacing them with new does wonders.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I have mentioned it in multiple threads and I will say it once again. If you want a nice riding Fox that still handles well without beating you to death than look at the OEM Ford 1993 Cobra setup.

Stock V8 springs up front with the smaller front sway bar. Stock 4 Cyl rear springs with the stock GT rear sway bar. The OEM struts and shocks were made by Tokico for Ford.

You can do a similar setup up on any Four Eye using stock springs if you don't mind the stock ride height or you can go generally with the entry level lower springs from a quality company like H&R, Eibach, Steeda, etc. DON"T Slam the car, just lower the ride height to provide a better look IMHO and improve the handling without killing the ride. Then add a quality set of struts and shocks. If you want a nice soft ride, stay with a product such as the Tokico Blues, the Tokico Illumina, Koni STR. T, Eibach PRo-Damper, or possibly the KYB AGX. If you want a more performance ride with handling being improved then consider the Bilsein HD or the Koni Double Adjustable.

If you want a quality ride for a street car then install new rubber bushings in the front control arms with quality ball joints. Preferably Ford OEM ball joints, although the Fox are almost impossible to find now and the aftermarket ones are not the same quality as OEM. I personally use the Ford OEM SN95 joint and that can be used with the Fox spindles and arms, but without the stock castle nut and cotter pin if you chose. In the rear install new rubber upper control arm bushings in both the arms and the rear axle. The lower control arms bushings are not serviced by most vendors with rubber bushings. I would recommend buying a quality set of Maximum Motorsport rear lower control arms either the Sport for a good street ride or the Heavy Duty if you want more performance.

Last if you don't want to have to think about it or work out all the details for a suspension setup, the Eibach Pro-Damper kit with springs, struts, and shocks is hard to beat for a nice quality ride with a slight improvement in handling and ride height too!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Rubber bushings and soft springs are for sissies. I embrace the harshness.

FEP Senior Member

Just curious how front polyurethane control arm bushings affect ride quality? When I change over to five lug on my wagon I was just going to burn out the old rubber bushings and replace with poly bushings and SN95 OEM ball joints. Stock springs will stay in place (frankly I'd be afraid to lower the car any more and I am considering new springs in the rear to help with load carrying capability) and new Koni STR.T struts will be installed. I've never run poly bushings on anything before, but they look easier to install than replacing the entire rubber bushing/shell and cost about the same.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    Just curious how front polyurethane control arm bushings affect ride quality? When I change over to five lug on my wagon I was just going to burn out the old rubber bushings and replace with poly bushings and SN95 OEM ball joints. Stock springs will stay in place (frankly I'd be afraid to lower the car any more and I am considering new springs in the rear to help with load carrying capability) and new Koni STR.T struts will be installed. I've never run poly bushings on anything before, but they look easier to install than replacing the entire rubber bushing/shell and cost about the same.
    To me, they just tightened it up considerably, in which firmed it up a bit over the old worn out rubber stuff in front. It still is nowhere near being harsh or rough.

When I did the fronts, I burnt out the rubber, which is super easy to do with little to no smoke or mess, and installed Energy Suspensions poly bushings. I did this because I could not get the shell out of the control arm.

Be advised that if you do use the ES poly bushings in the stock bushing sleeve, it will require a little trimming of the ends of the bushings (after install) as the stock sleeve squeezes the poly a bit which lengthens it a bit.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 05-31-2018 at 12:29 PM.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I have mentioned it in multiple threads and I will say it once again. If you want a nice riding Fox that still handles well without beating you to death than look at the OEM Ford 1993 Cobra setup.
    Yep, this is pretty much what I did. Trey has never STEERED me wrong. Oh, yes I did.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post

Atta boy! Who needs kidneys or a lower back anyways?
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    I was not pushing for rubber bushings and soft springs. I was just trying to help out others that don't want to embrace the harshness!

Personally I prefer the urethane bushings and a firmer ride that improves the handling, especially for my play toys! Daily Driver or when making an 1100 mile trip over 1.5 days, then maybe rubber bushings and softer springs!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Springs and shocks are what make for stiffness and harshness. Polyurethane bushings will certainly tighten up the handling, and will also add to road noise but not necessarily harshness. They don't make the ride stiffer by any significant measure, they still allow the components to move but with better control. The harder compound does however transmit more vibration and noise into the chassis which can be perceived as harshness.

I went all the way to solid Delrin bushings and spherical bearings which actually move smoother than rubber or poly bushings. They do also transmit every little bump as noise.

Great discussion on this thread! Lots of food for thought on my 85. I bought a set of Tokico D Specs this week and plan to install when I do the 87 front brake swap and MM rear brackets. I have the 87 spindles, just need to order the rotors, calipers, lines etc, and reading threads before I decide on final set up there. But on the springs, I’m leaning toward one on the setups on the MM site- like the Eibachs.

That looks like the perfect ride height 84StangSVT!

We haven't really discussed it in this thread, but matching your struts/springs to your spring rates in another issue that can really improve your overall ride and handling. If they are not matched the ride quality and handling both suffer and there is little you can do to correct the issue without replacing either the springs or the struts/shocks. Maximum Motorsports has a nice chart to help you match the struts/shocks the offer to different springs.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/te...ing_rates.aspx
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    Stock height Foxes are about as common as Harleys with mufflers.

Mike
    Both mine are stock..............

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White