Close

Default 1985 3.8l water pump bolts / studs

Went to change the water pump this weekend. I am guessing this had never been done on this car before. 5 of the 7 bolts/studs broke off. I am going to have to remove the timing belt cover and begin the process of drilling them / ez-out.

My question is about the replacement bolts. I can not seem to find a kit for the 3.8L. What bolts / studs are needed? Thank you in advance.

off the top of my head I don't know on the 3.8's. The bolts for these are for sure a pain in the rear and I've been in the spot you are in with my cars a few times myself. I've lost count on the number of extractors I've broken trying to get stuck bolts out.

One of the mistakes I made in the past that I won't make again is starting the job when the engine is cool. The additional tolerance as cast expands if you ice the heads of the bolts is sometimes just enough to get them out. Especially if you thump them with a deadblow to get their attention and try to go in with them slightly first.

One of the ideas I've been kicking around for my cars is to stud everything. A nice 3' length of stainless ready rod would be a good start. Cut the pieces to length and jimmy a thread near where you want it to stay so it can't continue turning in. Then the entire thing can be swapped simply by removing nuts without having to deal with the notorious stuck bolt issues at all.

The next time I do one or the next time I have a motor tore down on a car I don't care how stock appearing it is I'll very likely do this. Nuts with a nice shoulder along with anti-seize and thread sealer on the nuts should do every bit as well as the stock bolts.

FEP Senior Member

I don't have an answer for you, but I am surprised the aftermarket doesn't have a solution for this. I had to chisel a timing cover off of a 3.8 one time because the bolts and studs were so corroded in it.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Same problem with older 302 and 351
    I think I saw as set of 3.8 5.0 cover bolts in the
    speedway catalog...
    ed

All kinds of water pump bolt kits for 3.8 on line....

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderStruck View Post
    All kinds of water pump bolt kits for 3.8 on line....
    do you have a link? I am having a hard time finding, but I am new to these engines.

Have not had luck finding new bolts / studs. Would any other years 3.8 work? I would love to do all studs, but I know they go through some of the coolant, I would be afraid I would cause a leak.