Close

Default New 84 GT Hatch owner from SoCal

Hows it going? Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Alex and I recently picked up an '84 Mustang hatch GT with T-Tops. I picked up the vehicle as a roller with no engine and trans. 95% of the interior is there and there is very little rust on the pinch rails. Ive been reading up on all the info on my vehicle such as decoding the buck tag on the radiator support since the tag on my door jamb is pretty washed out from when it was repainted. So far, looks like the car hasnt been heavily modified. I did verify through research that it is an original GT t top with electric windows, manual locks, factory AC, has spoiler with no rear defrost, and no hood scoop. Original paint was, I believe its called Medium Canyon Red (was repainted white in the past) with canyon red interior as well. Although Im really fond of the original paint, I just dont like how the interior doesnt stand out being the same color, so Im repainting it white. I just took off the dash this weekend and was really bummed how many pieces were being broken since its the plastics are really brittle. So far I need a new dash pad, seat track, one visor, center arm rest and the rear trunk cover the complete the interior.

As far as the power plant, Im using a 5.4 Lightning engine mated to a 6r80 trans. All im waiting at the moment is for my maximum motorsports k member and A arms to arrive so I can slap this engine in. I pretty much have everything else for the front suspension. After everything is test fitted, Im going to remove everything in the engine bay so I can paint match my engine bay white. Vehicle already has a 5 lug conversion but unfortunately, the rear end was swapped with a 5 lug 7.5inch. Anyways, let me see if I can upload some pics. Looking forward to learning more about these cars!

Name:  84gt.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  45.1 KB

Day I picked it up. Yes its a beater...for now

Name:  84gt1.jpg
Size:  161.5 KB

Random rear interior shot I have

Name:  84gt2.jpg
Size:  48.5 KB

99-04 GT hyrdoboost unit installed using the maximum motorsports conversion kit thats comes with a new brake pedal

Name:  84gt3.jpg
Size:  46.4 KB

New brake pedal installed onto the pedal box. Pedal box took way long to remove than install. Took me like 15 min to reinstall

Name:  84gt4.jpg
Size:  137.7 KB

New, to me, intro wheels i was test fitting. 18x8 for the rear, 17x7 for the front.

PS SORRY FOR THE HUGE PICS AND THE WAY THEYRE FACING. I CANT FIX THAT LOL
    Last edited by wraithracing; 06-04-2018 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Fix Pictures

Please post the buck tag. Even though you have decoded it I still like to enter all of the data and have pics of them. Thanks.

Keep updates and pics of the car coming. Looks like a cool project.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 05-29-2018 at 10:11 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Yes, does look like a cool project, welcome to FEP. Good luck with your build and keep up the pictures..

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Please post the buck tag. Even though you have decoded it I still like to enter all of the data and have pics of them. Thanks.

Keep updates and pics of the car coming. Looks like a cool project.
    Thanks and I will send you pics of the buck tag when I get home

Btw, I'm going to be on the look out for my build sheet as well. My car seems like none of the interior trims have never been removed so hopefully it will pop up! I looked under my carpet and had nothing, so hopefully it'll pop up behind the quarter trims or under my rear seat
    Last edited by El_Chemo; 05-29-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1982GLX View Post
    Yes, does look like a cool project, welcome to FEP. Good luck with your build and keep up the pictures..
    Thank you sir

Welcome.
    Just as an FYI, the canyon red interior stuff has kind of a following, myself included. GT350's have canyon red interior and what you have might be worth something to someone. Am I understanding that you are wanting white interior? A suggestion would be to find a lighter color interior (grey?) instead of trying to dye red to white.....
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by conmech View Post
    Welcome.
    Just as an FYI, the canyon red interior stuff has kind of a following, myself included. GT350's have canyon red interior and what you have might be worth something to someone. Am I understanding that you are wanting white interior? A suggestion would be to find a lighter color interior (grey?) instead of trying to dye red to white.....
    Haha no white interior. I meant repaint my exterior white. I really like my interior color. Besides the small missing parts and the faded t roof headliner and small other parts, its all there. I'm already having trouble finding a dash pad in my color and now I can see why. I really like the white ext with the red interior so I'm going That route BUT I dont want people thinking I'm trying to make a gt350 clone, so I'm swapping my front bumper for an 85/86 cover.

You're on lightningrodder as well right? I recognize your profile name, I'm on there as well with the same name

You are correct. Was on LR for awhile. How bad is your front? As for the dash pad, migh5 look into getting lighter color (grey) and dying canyon red.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

You are correct. Was on LR for awhile. How bad is your front? As for the dash pad, migh5 look into getting lighter color (grey) and dying canyon red.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    The front bumper is decent. Is has a lot of paint chipping because it was prepped right, so all the white paint is falling off. Then there's a scrape on the driver's side. Looks like it was side swiped a bit and the bumper caved in. Might just be able to heat it up to straighten it. I can send you more pics if you need the bumper.

And thanks for that tip on the dash. Ill keep my eye open for them

Red dash pad:
    https://lmr.com/item/LRS-04282B/79-8...g-Red-Dash-Pad

Maybe dye it canyon red easier than a lighter One?

Or:
    Light grey...
    https://lmr.com/item/LRS-04282C/79-8...-Gray-Dash-Pad
    conmech - aka Marshall

Red dash pad:
    https://lmr.com/item/LRS-04282B/79-8...g-Red-Dash-Pad

Maybe dye it canyon red easier than a lighter One?

Or:
    Light grey...
    https://lmr.com/item/LRS-04282C/79-8...-Gray-Dash-Pad
    I did see those but after reading the reviews, it kind of made me steer away. Especially for the price, I wouldn't want those kind of issues for paying That much. Thanks though. Ill just keep a look out on eBay and CL. I tossed my old one into the bin already

Nice looking project car. It looks exactly like mine did when I picked it up,white and black with canyon red interior. Now my interior is black and outside is black cherry with satin black. The lightning motor will be fun to fit in their. We are putting a lightning drive train into a 68 torino fast back. Keep us posted as you get things done.
    Bob
    1967 mustang coupe -sold
    1967 cougar GT - sold
    1984 Mustang L 5.0L - Totaled
    1984 Mustang GT 5.0L
    2007 Mustang GT convertible ( wifes car)
    1997 F-350 powerstroke
    USMC Retired 1981-2001