Close

Anonymous

Default Headliner on my head!

I have a 1980 Mustang. The blue vinyl headliner fabric has separated from the support board. Anybody have any suggestions on the best way to fix this?

Pull it down and use spray contact cement to glue it back to the board.
    1979 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car
    Modified Mustangs Aug, 2006 Feature Car

2016 Shelby GT350

2015 F150 2.7 Ecoboost

FEP Power Member

I would recommend 3M spray adhesive. Its expensive though. If you do use it a little goes a long way, I did this with my old headliner. Same problem.
    1979 Mustang pace car
    1986 LX coupe

I used some sort of contact cement that I ordered off 50resto when i put in a new headliner a few weaks ago.
    1979 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car
    Modified Mustangs Aug, 2006 Feature Car

2016 Shelby GT350

2015 F150 2.7 Ecoboost

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I had this same problem in my Cobra. I took out the cardboard backing and peeled the rest of the material off of it (be careful not to tear it if you're reusing it). I then took some lacquer thinner on a rag and continuously wiped the factory adhesive/foam until it was all removed from the cardboard. This will take a bit of time, and a few rags, but when you're done, you'll virtually have a new clean surface in which to work. Be careful to do this in a well ventilated area, extinguish any pilots/flames, and lay all rags flat on a cement floor for a few days when done to prevent spontaneous combustion (you don't need your house/garage burning to the ground!).

Once the cardboard and headliner have been removed and cleaned, a can of Permatex headliner adhesive can then be sprayed onto the cardboard and also to the back of the headliner. Let them get tacky and then press together. Reinstallation should be very easy if you have gotten this far. Just follow your instincts.

For what it's worth, I ended up buying a new piece of vinyl at my local fabric store ($8.00), so I didn't have to worry about cleaning the back of my factory installed fabric/vinyl.

Total cost for this project was less than $20.00! Good luck! :wink:
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

FEP Senior Member

Standard Mustang problem, especially if your a tall person.

Ford used a water soluable powdered glue. It works loose if it gets expoased to moisture, and htere is always moisture.

I have had this happen on every Stang I have owned.

I took mine down and used a stiff broom to scour away the rest of the loose glue, sprayed board down with 3M adhesive, let it set for a minute, then set the board down carefully on some new cloth I bought and then trimmed it and put it back up and never had a problem with it again.
    85 Mustang Coupe, 3.3L I6, C4, 8.8 3L23, 17x8 wheels. About 70% towards firing it up.