Close

Default Sn95 swap Axle questions

Apologies in advanced if this has been posted before, just want to be sure on this. I recently swapped a sn95 8.8 and sn95 disc brakes (not sure what year) rear axle into my capri. The axle has ABS rings on it and the tires stick out past the fender quite a bit and I'm definitely not digging the look. I know you can swap shorter fox axles without the abs ring Into the housing, but how do I go about relocating the caliper bracket so it aligns with the rotor? I seen the north star racecar brackets but I'm not sure if that's what I want for this application. Does anyone know the exact combination of what axles and brackets I need for stock sn95 brakes with Fox length axles? Just want to be sure, thanksName:  20180319_181542.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  113.2 KB

With the SN95 axles, which are 3/4" wide per side due to length, you use the stock pieces - sounds like you did by swapping the whole rear end. The toner rings are irrelevant and just 'there' for you.

For a fox axle, use the north race car brackets. I've done this. I did need to use a washer / spacer for mine to align perfect. I'd also suggest a proportioning valve inline with the rear brake lines to adjust when they engage.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Was curious about this, since I have what I think is a 1994 or 1995 SN95 rear end I picked up at the PNP, and this is info I need to know as well. Off to Google I went... http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...surements.html
    In this post, I found some measurements in posts #2 and #6. If they're accurate, it looks like you may have a 1999-up rear, since it looks like that's really sticking out a lot. Wish they'd put the wheel mounting surface measurements on there, as I don't want to move the calipers to get axle flange to flange #'s. Mine is about 61-1/4" wheel mounting face to face roughly measured. Stock Fox width sounds like it's 59-1/4" according to Google U.

If you have a 1999+ rear end, the actual housing is wider, not just the amount the axles protrude from the housing. Everything I see says the 1994-1998 SN95 housing is the same width as the Fox housings, but the axles are longer for the different brake setup.

How are you handling the brake lines, e-brake, master cylinder, and proportioning valve setup?
    '78 Fairmont Box Top w/Straight 6/3-spd Manual Everything
    '81 Zephyr Wagon 4/4-spd
    '84 Mustang SVO 5.0 Swapped semi-junker (I didn't do it!)
    MAF, GT-40, BBK Shorties

Having done this swap, stay fox width unless you like ordering custom wheels and having different stuff at every corner, etc.

A 2005+ mustang wheel is a different offset and would locate your tires more inward about 3/4”. Also SVO wheels would too. Might still be too wide.

A fox width housing (86-9 and North Racecar brackets and SN95 brakes and Mosier axles with SN95 wheel flanges is generally regarded as the one of the best solutions.

i run a full 95 rear diff right now.

Select ranger/Aerostar axles work to shorten things up.

I run a summit proportioning valve and a gutted Stock valve and 95 rear brakes and 99GT front brakes and a Mark VII master cyl. Brakes work great.

you can get by with 94-98 rear width IF you have a panhard. Otherwise its guaranteed to rub. Looks like crap having front/rear staggered width too imo.

Braided lines and great pads and slotted rotors are worth it. My car stops on a dime from 60....
    Last edited by erratic50; 04-22-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Lots of good info there, erratic50...thanks!

I'm also not a fan of staggered stances with different wheel & tire setups front & rear. That said, if it's only 3/4" additional per side, is that noticeable, and if using something like a 225mm tire, would it make much difference for fit and appearance?

Right now, I'm collecting parts. Already have the 1994-5 front spindles and an adjustable proportioning valve, but I need the rest of the front brake accessories.
    '78 Fairmont Box Top w/Straight 6/3-spd Manual Everything
    '81 Zephyr Wagon 4/4-spd
    '84 Mustang SVO 5.0 Swapped semi-junker (I didn't do it!)
    MAF, GT-40, BBK Shorties

Name:  20180612_193337.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  96.7 KBName:  20180612_193327.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  101.4 KB235 40 18 fronts and 295 35 18rears. I would call the fronts 9 wide and the rear 10 wide. I don't have the back spacing on them. The tears ate going to need a .25 " spacer to stop rubbing. I am 94 sn95 front to rear. The rear should actually look better with the spacer, the fronts are a bit wide for me